PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Ep3 worth considering?

Jacare
07-08-2011, 12:31 PM
this is my first post, but ive been lurking around for the past month or so,
so im sorry if this in the wrong section.
im currently looking for a civic si, the ep3 has caught my eye the most out of all.
ive always loved hatches, and for te price this style seems perfect.
i just found one locally kinda, few hours away but im just not too sure if this is a good deal i should follow through with
or if i should just keep looking for something better.

Engine:
121K miles on a stock motor.
(in know its a honda and these can last for decades, but is that pushing it too high)
it has a AEM cold air intake, AEM fuel rail.
do i need a Kpro for those to run efficiently?
(im still pretty confused on how the Kpro works to begin with)

Interior:
all stock, except for a buddy club knob.

Exterior:
this is where it gets a bit interesting.
i guess the owner prior to the one now had it painted a non-oem color.
im wary on that just because if something happens to the car, how am i going to find a matching color.
or worse if its a really not so good looking paint job to begin with.
random exhaust tip
buddy club side skirts and wing,
and a type R lip
some unknown rims
plus tinted windows

my question really is, with the information given, what would be a good offer?
i would get it inspected by a local mechanic.
compression test right?
i do have a few pics if they are needed.

Also found a greedy Evo TT catback exhaust locally, is that a good investment as well?
looks not so pretty, is there a way to clean it up?

thank you all so much, this site has given me so much information on these cars and how awesome they are.

T_Virus
07-08-2011, 12:34 PM
pics?

ep3jd
07-08-2011, 12:35 PM
4200 and he can keep that nasty wing lol

Pics and more info would help though.

b33lz89
07-08-2011, 12:44 PM
what year is it? and u do not need kpro unless u want to do a swap or build ur engine... i bought my 02 ep3 mostly stock except for rims and hid kit for $5500 and it had 103xxx miles... so 121K is decent for that car if it was maintained good... how long ago did the person paint it, cuz i bought an integra before the guy i bought it from painted to a different color and it was a crappy job, i had a lot of paint chipping off... also theres a website in this forum to check the VIN its 52internet.net check if it has been any accidents

Jacare
07-08-2011, 12:48 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/24vmvjd.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/ogicu1.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/izywzp.jpg

ep3jd
07-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Um of you want the full potential from any bolt ons tuning would be good, aka kpro is always a plus.

Jacare
07-08-2011, 12:49 PM
and it is a 2002

i havent found any great deals like the one you found.
i wish i was that lucky

Distance
07-08-2011, 12:54 PM
How much?

I would pass. You don't want someone elses project.

ep3jd
07-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Those are pep boys wheels.

b33lz89
07-08-2011, 12:58 PM
it looks nice but u gonna take a risk because of the paint job... it also drops the price value

Andrew
07-08-2011, 01:00 PM
How much?

/\THIS!

i would recommend the same, this is someones short term fun, then they wanna toss it. i think it will be more of a money pit

Jacare
07-08-2011, 01:05 PM
How much?

He was asking 7k but I offered 6.
I think he took it

ep3jd
07-08-2011, 01:12 PM

Danielsle
07-08-2011, 01:32 PM
7k? Too much. I picked up my 04 for 4,000 with a little over 100k on the motor. Great that he already has lip kit on it, but that exhaust looks hella ugly. Must be just some universal rice exhaust. The AEM bolt ons are good too. But ask him what other cars he has(had) and go from there. If he tells you a ton of different cars, depending on what the cars are, he could just be turning cars. Little fun here and there, and it'll also tell you if he runs the engine greatly or not. I hate to say it, but best way to find out about the paint is going to drive down there yourself. Have fun and good luck. I wouldnt do anything above 4,500.

whatsvtec
07-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah, don't follow through anything over 4500. You can get a pretty decent ep3 for 6 g's now a days

Ba82Ep3
07-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Yah, and one you dont have to sweat removing that hideous wing.... thats some batman shit fo real!

Distance
07-08-2011, 03:30 PM
walk away!

doubledouble
07-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Guys,

Consider we're in SoCal, things are a little more pricey out here. The color looks good imo. How's the engine bay and door inserts? Those painted too?

Jacare
07-08-2011, 05:11 PM
This car is in Nor Cal.
I dont understand how people find them for so cheap.
I've been looking for a while now and not one comes cheap.
I want one soon, but the deal has to be right.
I haven't seen any for a good price, and I don't know
What to look for, and I don't want to make a new thread every time I find potential

What about that exhaust? Is that a buy? I can post pics up later too

j0000stin
07-08-2011, 05:28 PM
if its from norcal dont buy it hahaha

forreal.

doubledouble
07-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Anywhere in Cali is going to be expense. Anyone who says they can find one in SoCal under 150k for $4200 hit me up, cause I'll buy one another one. Seriously.

j0000stin
07-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Anywhere in Cali is going to be expense. Anyone who says they can find one in SoCal under 150k for $4200 hit me up, cause I'll buy one another one. Seriously.

the cheapest ive seen was around 5 g's

Jacare
07-08-2011, 05:54 PM
if its from norcal dont buy it hahaha

forreal.

Why is that? And what about that evo TT by greedy?

EP3SiBoi90
07-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Remember one of the most common misconceptions about buying a used car is the stuff that has been put into it, it depreciates the value not raise it. I would seriously just look for an all stock, and no goodies. Like most people said, it's someone else's project, not your own. There really is a sense of accomplishment when you build up the EP from the ground up.

and you guys are LUCKY for finding your EPs for so cheap! 140K+ for 5k stock is how much I bought mine lol!

team ERA 5
07-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Paint job looks rough. I would offer him 5k max. The mods and paint job depreciated the value. Tale your time looking for a car. You want to invest in the right one.

doubledouble
07-08-2011, 07:36 PM
doesn't really look like a project car. What's done to it that scares you guys? Short RAM, Fart can? IMO, that's not a deal breaker. If you want those mods anyways then it'll be a great way to save some money.

I would echo the others in saying the seller is thinking out of his ass if he's telling you that mods add value (maybe to the right buyer) but to the vast majority it does not.

Distance
07-08-2011, 10:26 PM
doesn't really look like a project car. What's done to it that scares you guys? Short RAM, Fart can? IMO, that's not a deal breaker. If you want those mods anyways then it'll be a great way to save some money.

I would echo the others in saying the seller is thinking out of his ass if he's telling you that mods add value (maybe to the right buyer) but to the vast majority it does not.

generally with the whole car being repainted you might want to consider why he did it. maybe it was in a bad wreck and the owner wanted to fix it up and not keep the oem color since its gonna cost the same? alot of things can be halfassed in a "modded" car

doubledouble
07-08-2011, 10:28 PM
True. Run a carfax too.

Distance
07-08-2011, 10:35 PM
True. Run a carfax too.

carfax is crap. if it wasn't reported you wont see it.

doubledouble
07-08-2011, 10:44 PM
buying a car is a filtering process. getting a carfax on potentially one of the biggest purchase of your life is better then not getting one. In case it was reported, you'll know about it.

You'll be able to tell right away if the paint job was done to cover up some damage. Check the door jams, engine bay, underneath the car. Ask the seller why he changed the color and see what kind of impression you get out of him.

doubledouble
07-08-2011, 10:45 PM
it also couldn't hurt to take it to a trained eye like . . . distance. lol. Or a mechanic.

powdbyrice
07-08-2011, 10:52 PM
paint job = easy pass unless its a high quality show car.

no one recognizes this ep?

at quick glance it looks pretty good.

with the fuel rail on it, i wonder what other mods were on it previously... if it and the exhaust were the only mods, clearly it was a half assed job.

Distance
07-08-2011, 11:37 PM
buying a car is a filtering process. getting a carfax on potentially one of the biggest purchase of your life is better then not getting one. In case it was reported, you'll know about it.

You'll be able to tell right away if the paint job was done to cover up some damage. Check the door jams, engine back, underneath the car. Ask the seller why he changed the color and see what kind of impression you get out of him.

it also couldn't hurt to take it to a trained eye like . . . distance. lol. Or a mechanic.

lol yea.

Jacare
07-08-2011, 11:53 PM
so what about that exhaust system i asked about earlier?
is that something thats worth buying?

EP3SiBoi90
07-09-2011, 12:00 AM
so what about that exhaust system i asked about earlier?
is that something thats worth buying?

The greddy you were talking about right? I wouldn't worry about that just yet. But to answer that, you're going to get a lot of different opinions about the Evo TT system; some love it, some prefer a different tone. I think it depends on your preference. I for one have the Ti-C. Had it for close to 3-4 years now, and sounds great to my ears. Check around the other threads on the different kinds of exhaust systems. Trust me, there's plenty info out there on this website lol. But for now, I believe priority falls towards getting the EP first.

lemonhead228
07-09-2011, 04:37 AM
The ep doesnt look bad at all besides that ugly exhaust. If you really want it, check everything out carefully and make sure everythings okay befor you buy. Things like give it a good test drive like punch on it. Most ep has the famous third gear grind and listen to the motor to see if it has anything wrong wit it sucj as knockin, tickin, ect.... Check the engine bay to see if has any leaks ect... Check the body work to see if any fitment is off are not and go from there but I wouldnt pay over 5k for that. Well good luck wit your purchase

1fast03ep
07-20-2011, 06:31 PM
I like the color, and from the pictures it looks like a nice paint job, but in the end its up to you. get it checked by a trusted mechanic and it also wouldnt hurt to run it by a body shop as well.