PDA

View Full Version : help ep gods idle relearn issues!!!

ep3030
07-10-2011, 02:14 PM
almost 2 years ago i had to park my car because of license issues. when i did so the car ran great! now however, we recently started driving it again and the first time we started it back up the idle was all funny. it bounces from 1k - 2.5k and has done so for months...at first i thought driving it around for a while would do the trick. needles to say it didnt. well i finally got around to swapping out the IACV. i disconnected the ground from the battery, swapped out the unit, reconnected and started it. no dice. then i tried the "idle relearn" out of the honda manual and still nothing. i also tried letting the car sip sea foam thru the break booster vacuum hose, the only thing that happened is the breaks feel better lmao! well....im out of ideas and hope. i hate to have to take my baby to honda, any other ideas? im kinda desperate :mcry:

HondaFreak
07-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Try a new PCV valve, or at least check it. It should rattle freely. It's like $7 at an auto parts store.
Wait, is the iacv the same thing. I only know it as a PCV.

Christian

talonXracer
07-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Make sure you developed no cracked vacuum lines.

The pcv can not fail in such a way as to create a vacuum leak.

what are your mods?

ep3030
07-10-2011, 08:22 PM
@hondafreak the iacv is the idle air control valve, if u take off the throttle body and flip it upside down its right there. it has 2 coolant lines attached. also its the same pcv since the factory, and i doubt my pcv "rattles". its pretty in there...

@talonXracer ppl have told me that, and i havent noticed any cracks, but maybe im not looking hard enough or in the right spot...my engine mods are a injen cai, hi-flow cat (my o2's are shot to shit), and a greddy ti-c catback.

talonXracer
07-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Check the AAV, it is the black plastic jobber that has the small line from the intake, it is easily broken and becomes a large vacuum leak. You can use a propane torch to search for vacuum leaks, dont light it, just turn it on and aim it at specific locations and if the idle changes abruptly, you are in the correct area.
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?43137-Air-Assist-Valve

ep3030
07-10-2011, 10:39 PM
thanks talon that link gave me some ideas...im about to go on club rsx and look for a aav delete kit. im kinda scared about using the propane to look for leaks around a running motor but it does make sense to do so...

usedep3
07-10-2011, 10:55 PM
if you end up wanting an aav, i have 2 spare ones. hit me up if you want one

talonXracer
07-11-2011, 04:52 AM
thanks talon that link gave me some ideas...im about to go on club rsx and look for a aav delete kit. im kinda scared about using the propane to look for leaks around a running motor but it does make sense to do so...

Using propane to detect leaks is perfectly safe, unless you have an open flame on the exterior of the engine, or are toking away on a joint,,,,,,,,

ep3030
07-12-2011, 03:20 PM
so i checked the aav and its not cracked, or broken...waiting to get a propane tank...could i possibly put seafoam in another vacuum line??

ep3030
07-16-2011, 08:00 PM
*update*

after i installed the IACV, i did some reading and i checked the ELD inside the fuse box. on top of the idle issues if u drive the car and say, park with the car running the EPS light would turn on and the power steering would cut out. after the car would start rollin the light would shut off and the power would return to the steering system. i read that if the ELD would go bad that the EPS would be affected. so i checked it and it looked fine, i reconnected the fuse box did the idle relearn and after burning two and a half tanks of gas from straight driving. the idle is now stabalizing at around 700-1200. very rarely does the idle jump now. *side note* before switching the idle valve the cars idle would jump and as soon as i turn on the a/c the idle would sit at 2k.

talonXracer
07-16-2011, 08:08 PM
not sure that it is a vacuum leak if the erratic jumping is not continious, the idle should be rock steady at approx 850.

Try disconnecting the TPS and starting the engine to see if it smoothens out.

If the ELD has failed then you would have a CEL.