PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Cheapy Air intake

McTaggart34
07-12-2011, 07:12 PM
First off im in no way reasonable for anything you do :meek:
Needed
1. 3'' cone air filter -
2. small breather

remove the air box top as you would to change the OEM filter.
Then there are two bolts on the left. there might be more on your car, but two for me cause the previous owner or i could be wrong :mwink:
put the cone filter in the stock elbow and tightening it. Then put you breather on the valve cover.
Done.
Not the best DIY iv ever written because i wasn't going to make one. But i did anyway :mcry: dont hate no me.

Picture and Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMDxziow6ds

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/Dr_greenthumb1/IMG_1132.jpg

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/Dr_greenthumb1/IMG_1131.jpg

Holla at me

DPhine524
07-12-2011, 11:47 PM
K a may be wrong but last i knew, a breather filter is actually harmful for your car if its naturally aspirated. It creates moisture into your engine creating problems. Correct me if I'm wrong.

McTaggart34
07-13-2011, 06:00 AM
K a may be wrong but last i knew, a breather filter is actually harmful for your car if its naturally aspirated. It creates moisture into your engine creating problems. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Never heard of that be for . But any little moisture that would get in there would burn up when you start the engine. Someone else wanna chime in here.

Sent from my IPhone 4 not using taptalk.

RedSiBaron
07-13-2011, 08:43 AM
And I quote

This thread will probably cause a nice discussion.

IF YOU ARE NATURALLY ASPIRATED, DO NOT install a filter on the VC like below.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/filterkn2.jpg

It sure does look alot nicer than stock, but it will INTRODUCE moisture into the engine. The heater element that is placed there heats the air up removing the moisture as the air travels back and forth from engine pulses. This moisture can be seen as RUST on the cam shafts and a milkie deposit in the intake mani(from PCV) After a long time the moisture will settle in the engine oil as well.

McTaggart34
07-13-2011, 10:26 AM
I didn't remove the heater element i just added the breather. So i should be good ?

DA9_GSR
07-13-2011, 10:51 AM
I thought that was a emission control called crankcase venting that recirculates the HC built in the cylinder head into the intake to lower hydrocarbon emissions. Doing what McTaggart did simply vents the HC's to atmosphere. Ontario Drive Clean won't like seeing that when it comes time to emission testing. CARB vehicles in CA state will not pass smog testing if they see that. Just a heads up.

McTaggart34
07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
I thought that was a emission control called crankcase venting that recirculates the HC built in the cylinder head into the intake to lower hydrocarbon emissions. Doing what McTaggart did simply vents the HC's to atmosphere. Ontario Drive Clean won't like seeing that when it comes time to emission testing. CARB vehicles in CA state will not pass smog testing if they see that. Just a heads up.
Just had mine done.. will put the stock back on when the time comes

yorzawx
07-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Nice diy.. Very tempting.. but after reading on decided that its not worth jeopardizing the engine.. Just to understand a little more, what is the purpose of the breather?.. Is it for exhausting or intaking? Im a little confused...

lemonhead228
07-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Lmfao!! I did this for a year wit my car and its still on there. I did a lil breather tube thingy too. Lookin for a actually intake now tho cuz its looks really cheap when other people sees it lol

As in for gains, I felt it accelerate a lil faster and the trottle response was better

lemonhead228
07-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Its sounds really good too lol

talonXracer
07-15-2011, 05:26 AM
Nice diy.. Very tempting.. but after reading on decided that its not worth jeopardizing the engine.. Just to understand a little more, what is the purpose of the breather?.. Is it for exhausting or intaking? Im a little confused...

The VC port is an INLET for air during the majority of operation, in some instances it will outflow slightly. The air mass goes in 1", out 1/2", in 1", out 1/2" due to internal pumping, the PCV is a constant draw applied to the crankcase through intake vacuum. The system used by the Kseries is very different than other engines due to the VTC's EGR affect, and no EGR system. If you live in a very humid enviroment the heater section of the VC breather acts as a dryer to remove the additional moisture before it finds it's way into the engine(add a oil vapor catch can on the PCV line and it will be milky if there is no heater)

When boost is added it changes the entire operation of the PCV/engine breather system.

Jukka
07-15-2011, 12:31 PM
sounds good, but nice and illegal. I hope you dont get stopped or have MTO look at your car. Its about a $450 fine for having a crank case breather. Your better option would be gettin a small peice of aluminium piping (can get it from Performance Improvements on Dunlop st.) get a small plastic nipple or weld on a metal nipple and plumb it up properly again.

McTaggart34
07-16-2011, 05:41 AM
sounds good, but nice and illegal. I hope you dont get stopped or have MTO look at your car. Its about a $450 fine for having a crank case breather. Your better option would be gettin a small peice of aluminium piping (can get it from Performance Improvements on Dunlop st.) get a small plastic nipple or weld on a metal nipple and plumb it up properly again.

You stocking me ? lol

I don't really understand what you mean, but i do.

sleepy ep3
07-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Jeopardizing the engine?! Lolz. I bet your car stays bone stock. There's a lot worse you can do then putting on a breather.

I could make a cheaper intake. Toilet paper tubes and duct tape. In these tough economic times, one can never be too thrifty.

jed_averill
07-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Sooooooo basicallyyyyy a breather is noooot that bad lol

McTaggart34
07-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Sooooooo basicallyyyyy a breather is noooot that bad lol
If you dont take the loop thingy away.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-17-2011, 09:19 AM
You're probably better off doing the hondata airbox mod than this...

McTaggart34
07-17-2011, 02:11 PM
You're probably better off doing the hondata airbox mod than this...

I already did, this is nicer. imo
I might buy a cheap ebay ram and put this filter on.

btw i like pizza

USAF EP3
07-17-2011, 06:46 PM
The VC port is an INLET for air during the majority of operation, in some instances it will outflow slightly. The air mass goes in 1", out 1/2", in 1", out 1/2" due to internal pumping, the PCV is a constant draw applied to the crankcase through intake vacuum. The system used by the Kseries is very different than other engines due to the VTC's EGR affect, and no EGR system. If you live in a very humid enviroment the heater section of the VC breather acts as a dryer to remove the additional moisture before it finds it's way into the engine(add a oil vapor catch can on the PCV line and it will be milky if there is no heater)

When boost is added it changes the entire operation of the PCV/engine breather system.

So what does happen when boost is applied?

ephatchback
02-14-2012, 12:20 AM
yea that

TTownEP
02-14-2012, 08:49 PM
I got a piece of 3" steel tubing out of the extras bin at work where they had plumbed up some intercooler piping and used it to attach my oiled filter. I still have the heating tube on the hose, but there's nothing on the end right not, it's just venting straight to the atmosphere.

Am I to gather that I could throw a small breather filter on the hose without removing the heating loop, and be okay?