PDA

View Full Version : what supercharger should i be looking at for a 06 k24a2 ?

i11 b3havior
07-14-2011, 06:03 AM
I have swapped in the k24a2 and yes the power was great at first and thou it has only been a couple months I am really feeling the need for boost !!! I have not yet decided which route to go and would like to start doing some horsepower to price comparison. Know I know the difference in the type of horse power made by each and that I will always get more with turbo but I am leaning more towards sc. So my question is what jrsc kit should I be looking to purchase ? kraftwerks is just to expensive so is comptech (but would the tsx comptech kit fit in an ep3 ? or even the fd2 kit ?)

04sidriver
07-14-2011, 06:12 AM
Get the JRSC if you want to keep your AC and power steering. The kraftwerks kit takes away you ac and power steering

i11 b3havior
07-14-2011, 06:14 AM
yea but my question is what JRSC kit ? for what vehicle >? ep3, fd2, dc5 ? and what kind of power should I be expecting with the k24a2 with the race kit ?

whatsvtec
07-14-2011, 06:17 AM
How would he lose his power steering?

i11 b3havior
07-14-2011, 06:27 AM
how would he lose his power steering?

really lmao !!!!

04sidriver
07-14-2011, 06:28 AM
yea but my question is what JRSC kit ? for what vehicle >? ep3, fd2, dc5 ? and what kind of power should I be expecting with the k24a2 with the race kit ?

ep3

How would he lose his power steering?

He would lose a/c not powersteering

04sidriver
07-14-2011, 06:29 AM
really lmao !!!!

no just your ac

lldiesel386ll
07-14-2011, 06:41 AM

ep3 fits with no question, but it uses a manual tensioner--there are people that have modified the auto tensioner to work however

fd2 works--what is nice is that the fd2 comes with an auto tensioner as part of the kit. however due to the different throttle bodies the iacv will not work unless you replace the sc inlet with dc5 spec stuff or get an rrc adapter. using the latter will make clearances tight between the bypass valve and tb sensors, so you will also need an iacv rotation plate to maintain iacv functionality. it will be tight, but radiator support can be modified in a similar fashion to the rbc

dc5 works--the sc inlet will have no issues, but on the accessory side that kit is set up for the power steering pulleys associated with that car. if you can source the auto tensioner parts used in the fd2 kit, everything else should work

for both the fd2 and dc5 versions, the sc pulley will be very close to the pass headlight support; using my 3.4" i had to remove my hood support and convert to a hood strut

i think that about covers everything...? :shrug:

Ba82Ep3
07-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Kickass post Diesel...

lldiesel386ll
07-14-2011, 07:37 AM
every once in awhile i have something decent to share :mtongue:

in all honesty though all this information is out there if some mild searching is done; i know both john and i have discussed these matters on a few threads in here. there was alot of tripping around on my end for the fd2 spec jrsc since i was the first idiot to experiment with it (excuse me--pioneer lol) and i wanted to see that no one went through the same headaches i did

Ba82Ep3
07-14-2011, 08:18 AM
So it sounds like the DC5 setup with the FD2 tensioner set is the way to go. Is the tensioner in the FD2 kit just a modded OEM part?

I see the FD2 manifold still fits the 'a' series heads, and uses an adapter for the 'z' series heads waterport...

lldiesel386ll
07-14-2011, 08:36 AM
So it sounds like the DC5 setup with the FD2 tensioner set is the way to go. Is the tensioner in the FD2 kit just a modded OEM part?

I see the FD2 manifold still fits the 'a' series heads, and uses an adapter for the 'z' series heads waterport...

if i knew what i know now that i would go for the setup you mentioned--as always hindsight is 20/20. the auto tensioner is a stock unit by the way it looks--it is bolted onto the manifold by an adapter plate that jackson racing can provide you with i believe. you an also go the other direction and pick up the dc5 sc inlet parts from jackson racing for the fd spec jrsc, but i have been to busy/house poor lately to approach that process and i havent researched what parts are required for that

Ba82Ep3
07-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Yeah i was just looking at that. Looks like an adapter plate and bolts for $60 from Moss for an OEM tensioner would do it. Seems like a cheaper route than the FD2 setup if you need the DC5 inlet for PRB TB.

The DC5 spec pulley looks different than what i had for my EP JRSC. It looks offset, away from the charger. Is that what you mean by differences on the accessory side?

Since part location between the k20a2 (DC5) and the k20a3/k24a1/k24a2 are similar (water pump, alternator, CP), then the DC5 JRSC pulley wouldnt interchange with an EP JRSC?

Im shoppin... : )

whatsvtec
07-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Haha, I was gonna say... We've got no pulley for that. We're blessed with EPS! I make my buddy jealous every time he tells me he did a PS delete.

My vote is to get a JRSC Race set-up for the DC5 w/jmercado aftercooler n such. I'd try to find a manifold for a test fit though, it might be tight on a K24

Ba82Ep3
07-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Personally, the heat exchanger setup just looks like a problem waiting to happen. Ill accept the JRSC's limited output over complicating the design with add ons.

I want the EP's electric rack in my EJ... but dunno if its possible tho. Manual steering for me until then...

whatsvtec
07-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Lysholm twin-screw then? hehe
Not such limited output

Edit: Looking @ abt 400hp?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsnR8lZMElI

i11 b3havior
07-14-2011, 09:08 AM
i already have the rad support cut for the rbc because I was planning on going turbo but now I just don't know ? what is the difference in blower size with them all because the k24 sits pretty high in there !!! lol my hood support is in my trunk because I have been to lazy to get dampers

i11 b3havior
07-14-2011, 09:09 AM
ps. thanks for the input/info !!!

Ba82Ep3
07-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Dude... the twinscrew sounds beastly... *jizz*

lldiesel386ll
07-14-2011, 09:48 AM
i already have the rad support cut for the rbc because I was planning on going turbo but now I just don't know ? what is the difference in blower size with them all because the k24 sits pretty high in there !!! lol my hood support is in my trunk because I have been to lazy to get dampers

they all use the m62, and they all clear my hood fine. you already got rid of the hood insulation when you swapped your k24, so there wont be any interference.

as for heat exchanger/aftercooler issues, id imagine that if you bolt everything on correctly and ensure a proper seal, should the aftercooler fail the air will run warmer which would be more prone to pinging, but i figure as the driver it would be a noticeable difference and quick corrective action can be taken :thumbu:

tsxdriver
08-01-2011, 12:53 AM
To answer your other question, yes, the Comptech TSX charger will fit with some minor cutting. Refer to my thread here http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?58347-Comptech-supercharger

MadLorEP3
08-01-2011, 01:09 AM
I say skip the SC and go straight to boost. I was debating whether to go SC or turbo a few months after my k24a2 swap. I got tired of that relatively quickly just like you. I also noticed that alot of the SC guys were selling their SC kits and going for turbo as well cuz they too got tired of their sc set up. Even those with the jmercado kit was selling them and getting turbos instead. It seems that if you got tired of your swap in a few months, you're might just get tired of SC just as fast. If money is an issue, SC would definitely be the cheaper route and alot would say that its more reliable. If you got some sort of fundage, I would definitely go the turbo route. There are so much more things to consider and parts to get if you wanna get a turbo though, just make sure to read up on here. Good luck bro.

04EP3Hatch
08-02-2011, 08:35 AM
I say skip the SC and go straight to boost. I was debating whether to go SC or turbo a few months after my k24a2 swap. I got tired of that relatively quickly just like you. I also noticed that alot of the SC guys were selling their SC kits and going for turbo as well cuz they too got tired of their sc set up. Even those with the jmercado kit was selling them and getting turbos instead. It seems that if you got tired of your swap in a few months, you're might just get tired of SC just as fast. If money is an issue, SC would definitely be the cheaper route and alot would say that its more reliable. If you got some sort of fundage, I would definitely go the turbo route. There are so much more things to consider and parts to get if you wanna get a turbo though, just m
ake sure to read up on here. Good luck bro.

I will repectfully disagree, you have to look at it like this, people are offloading their supercharged setups because they are peaking out with power and thinking well I'm at the end of the road and want more. When the limiting factor is either knowledge or the m62 blower the kit is fit with. K24a2 with a good pulley setup (14-15psi) and a nice sized methanol kit will yield some amazing power, 350+ range for sure, and let's say you want more with the m62 you could have the whole kit ported and make even more, and if you want to upgrade blowers (just like you'd go from a gt30 to a gt35) you'd just need to go twin screw. If you look around on clubrsx jmercado made 472 on 16psi with stock header and gutted cat. I can't remember if that was methanol or aftercooler for cooling though, you could even look at the eaton m90 upgrade that's hitting the streets now. So it's not that the turbo kit will definately make more power, you'd just need the knowledge to take the supercharged setup to where you want it to go. Shit if I hit 300 with my
A3 that will be it for me and I'll be happy until it's time to swap out to a different blower or a ported m62

whatsvtec
08-02-2011, 10:19 PM
:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:
Agreed in full. I have this discussion with my buddy who's an evo fanatic, there are only differences in the approach of both.

superchargedk20
08-02-2011, 10:35 PM
I will repectfully disagree, you have to look at it like this, people are offloading their supercharged setups because they are peaking out with power and thinking well I'm at the end of the road and want more. When the limiting factor is either knowledge or the m62 blower the kit is fit with. K24a2 with a good pulley setup (14-15psi) and a nice sized methanol kit will yield some amazing power, 350+ range for sure, and let's say you want more with the m62 you could have the whole kit ported and make even more, and if you want to upgrade blowers (just like you'd go from a gt30 to a gt35) you'd just need to go twin screw. If you look around on clubrsx jmercado made 472 on 16psi with stock header and gutted cat. I can't remember if that was methanol or aftercooler for cooling though, you could even look at the eaton m90 upgrade that's hitting the streets now. So it's not that the turbo kit will definately make more power, you'd just need the knowledge to take the supercharged setup to where you want it to go. Shit if I hit 300 with my
A3 that will be it for me and I'll be happy until it's time to swap out to a different blower or a ported m62
Wat about tq

tsxdriver
08-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Wat about tq
Turbo>SC lol

ryan02
08-03-2011, 06:23 AM
^^only if you're aiming for 300+ whp

lets not turn this into and endless sc v turbo debate...

I will be going k24a2 w/supercharger. not sure which one yet, leaning towards ep3 to make it easier. one of the faster s/c setups, reliable for DD

superchargedk20
08-03-2011, 11:15 AM

I will be going k24a2 w/supercharger. not sure which one yet, leaning towards ep3 to make it easier. one of the faster s/c setups, reliable for DD
No ones turning it into a sc v turbo. U guys seem so geared only towards HP numbers that no one ever seems to shed any light on the tq side.

lldiesel386ll
08-03-2011, 11:24 AM
No ones turning it into a sc v turbo. U guys seem so geared only towards HP numbers that no one ever seems to shed any light on the tq side.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-MUD16aa2stA/TZecqyBnyKI/AAAAAAAACmA/Mn5yyADA04c/s800/dyno2a.jpg

while not earth shattering, i'm plenty happy with my torque numbers. i am especially happy with manner in which it is delivered :thumbu:

04EP3Hatch
08-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Wat about tq

What about it? A k24a2 with that pulley setup can see high 200's in the torque range if not clip 300

Truthfully as far as reliability goes I'd run the rsx specific kit, more bracketry and bracing holding the weight of the blower up and the belt tension, not just the intake manifold bolts like on the ep3 kit

superchargedk20
08-03-2011, 11:35 AM
So that pulley on a k24a2 can make 350 whp and 300 ft tq? Not bad. Do u know any setups thst made that much tq? Just wondering. I just always see supercharge setups make some decent power but no tq to show for it.

i11 b3havior
08-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Im not shooting for a hp number at all but I do want to be in the mid 12's if not break 11's soon my car will not be a daily driver I wouldn't say money would be an issue because whatever I decode to do I will wait till I have the money to do it right just like I have with the rest of my car. But I have always wanted a turbo set up I have a couple good connections for custom kits but s/c is considerably cheaper and it isnt to hard to find used kits. It's really all about my patience or lack there of : )

tsxdriver
08-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Here's my buddies setup on his 2006 TSX

Comptech supercharger (@10psi, 350whp/267wtq)
Hondata K-Pro
XLR8 intake (anodized blue, 3” piping, one-off)
HyTech race header
XLR8 exhaust (header-back, single-exit, 3” piping, one-off)
MercRacing liquid-to-air aftercooler (with upgraded core)
Snow Performance stage 2 water/methanol injection kit
Snow Performance 2.5 gallon reservoir tank (mounted in trunk)
Snow Performance 625mL nozzle
Pulley Boys 3” blower pulley
CP2 Accord K24 crank pulley (larger diameter than stock TSX)
Bosch 725cc fuel injectors
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs (colder heat range)
Powdercoated valve cover (anodized blue)
Vision CF sparkplug cover
T1R radiator hoses
Spoon reservoir socks
J’s Racing oil cap (blue)
Buddy Club radiator cap
Battery relocated to trunk
Motul 300V 5w-30 motor oil (SYN4)

04EP3Hatch
08-03-2011, 06:07 PM
So that pulley on a k24a2 can make 350 whp and 300 ft tq? Not bad. Do u know any setups thst made that much tq? Just wondering. I just always see supercharge setups make some decent power but no tq to show for it.

theres guys on CRSX and 8thcivic that have the k24a2's on higher boost levels supercharged

http://youtu.be/0XqNJaMQRJM

04EP3Hatch
08-03-2011, 06:11 PM
and you gotta remember dave, your making equal Tq and Hp numbers now but if you decided to go big, your going to peak out somewhere. my buddys 648whp e85 powered eg hatch, 330tq.. other freinds 804whp c16 eg hatch, 400tq

superchargedk20
08-03-2011, 06:32 PM
and you gotta remember dave, your making equal Tq and Hp numbers now but if you decided to go big, your going to peak out somewhere. my buddys 648whp e85 powered eg hatch, 330tq.. other freinds 804whp c16 eg hatch, 400tq
I was just wondering. I've been out the supercharge game for some time now. And I know u know wats up in the supercharge world. So I was just curious to tq output on some of the higher HP setups

04SiSpeed
08-05-2011, 04:51 AM
I have swapped in the k24a2 and yes the power was great at first and thou it has only been a couple months I am really feeling the need for boost !!! I have not yet decided which route to go and would like to start doing some horsepower to price comparison. Know I know the difference in the type of horse power made by each and that I will always get more with turbo but I am leaning more towards sc. So my question is what jrsc kit should I be looking to purchase ? kraftwerks is just to expensive so is comptech (but would the tsx comptech kit fit in an ep3 ? or even the fd2 kit ?)

Procharger kit for 3900 comes with everything n new smaller pulleys r like 100 dollars.

bchaney
10-04-2011, 05:55 AM
if i knew what i know now that i would go for the setup you mentioned--as always hindsight is 20/20. the auto tensioner is a stock unit by the way it looks--it is bolted onto the manifold by an adapter plate that jackson racing can provide you with i believe. you an also go the other direction and pick up the dc5 sc inlet parts from jackson racing for the fd spec jrsc, but i have been to busy/house poor lately to approach that process and i havent researched what parts are required for that

So it sounds like the FD2 tensioner is the way to go but why would you go with the DC5 blower over the EP3 one?

Ba82Ep3
10-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Better manifold for one...

lldiesel386ll
10-04-2011, 07:31 AM
space for improvement for another
aftercooled? why not :mtongue:

Blah1219
10-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I like this thread haha supercharger>turbo

Yes JRSC DC5 race kit can get you to 350, and a M90 can yeild more power, then you have the Kraftwerks that states their supercharger is capable of over 500+ hp. There is no need of all that plumbing.

Ba82Ep3
10-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Kraftwerks kits use piping like turbos though. A JRSC is simplistic boost... easy to tune and you can pretty much forget about it once its done.

Blah1219
10-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Well then corsports is false advertising haha I don't see any piping included in the kraftwerks kit. Well kraftwerks is out of the question for me. I want the least amount of stuff to break. So I'm looking for reliability.

Ba82Ep3
10-04-2011, 03:35 PM
LOL Yeah the kit doesnt come with piping. You still have to come out of pocket for that. It also places the air filter right below the IM (unless you run a long pipe across the front of the engine to the drivers wheel well). There are a few threads on k20a with some guys having great results with them. But a lot of them are still sorting out the best way to hook it all up.