PDA

View Full Version : positive +2 camber stuck?

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-15-2011, 07:19 PM
if some of you guys remember. i installed aspec suspension a while ago.
i've been rolling with the front left(drivers side wheel) +2 camber

i bought an spc camber bolt kit
and put it on..

i took it back to get an alignment and the guy said he couldnt get it to go to negative let alone zero.

he showed me too as he was doing it

he could add more positive camber but couldn't add negative

i bought another spc camber kit to see if i can fix it by using 2 camber bolts.

but before i actually get down and do the install again.
and do all this again.

do you guys have any suggestions as to what my problem can be?

just want to get input so i that while i have my car on jackstands i can check whats wrong.

PatrickJamesYu
07-15-2011, 07:47 PM
if some of you guys remember. i installed aspec suspension a while ago.
i've been rolling with the front left(drivers side wheel) +2 camber

i bought an spc camber bolt kit
and put it on..

i took it back to get an alignment and the guy said he couldnt get it to go to negative let alone zero.

he showed me too as he was doing it

he could add more positive camber but couldn't add negative

i bought another spc camber kit to see if i can fix it by using 2 camber bolts.

but before i actually get down and do the install again.
and do all this again.

do you guys have any suggestions as to what my problem can be?

just want to get input so i that while i have my car on jackstands i can check whats wrong.

Maybe the first bolt, was put on in the wrong one hole thing?
There is a "lobe" or something in the camber bolt, having it go a certain way should have it go more negative.
I know my terminology is wrong, but the knuckle to "pinch" closer together when it's becoming more negative.
The more space it give, the more positive

It's hards to explain over written word :/

talonXracer
07-15-2011, 08:21 PM
If just one side is so way out I would suspect a bent knuckle(the ball joint area bends easily).

27rocks
07-16-2011, 07:22 AM
I agree with ^^^.. If one side worked out fine and the other is still not able to even get to 0 then the suspension might be bent. Try taking a closer look and see if it is.
When you changed out the suspension did you replace the knuckle as well?

ep3jd
07-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Yeah my passenger side knuckle is bent. Rocking +1 still with an spc bolt. Just waiting on a deal to replace it

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-17-2011, 12:45 AM
i changed out the lower ball joint....when installing the coilovers.
i guess im just gonna have to put on all the spc bolts and try again.
lucky me i got the lifetime firestone alignment deal.

i ordered some lca bushings also because mine are torn to bits.

could it be that i messed up the coilover install somehow?

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-17-2011, 02:18 AM
Yeah my passenger side knuckle is bent. Rocking +1 still with an spc bolt. Just waiting on a deal to replace it

was it obvious that it was bent or is it something you have to stare at and assess it?

i should point out that my camber and alignment was perfect before the install...

i got new tie rods and lowerball joints also

talonXracer
07-17-2011, 05:58 AM
I could not visually detect the bent knuckle until it was installed, it only takes a 1/16" of bend at the ball joint pad to create 4-5 degrees of unwanted camber

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-17-2011, 09:13 AM
I could not visually detect the bent knuckle until it was installed, it only takes a 1/16" of bend at the ball joint pad to create 4-5 degrees of unwanted camber

i think:

i installed my coilover wrong
when i installed the aftermarket camber bolt. i didnt loosen the oem camber bolt at all. (installed the spc kit wrong basically)
something is bent

talon what's your take on using 2 camber bolts? is it safe?

PatrickJamesYu
07-17-2011, 09:22 AM
i think:

talon what's your take on using 2 camber bolts? is it safe?

I hope so :(
bump
haha

27rocks
07-17-2011, 12:01 PM
People have use two camber bolts before. Some have the come loose some don't. I would only use one imo.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-18-2011, 07:32 PM
noob question

when you install ONE camber bolt. are you suppose to loosen the oem one, then adjust the camber bolt, then tighten/torque down both?

talonXracer
07-18-2011, 07:37 PM
I tried it for a short time(only because I didnt have any OEM camber change bolts) and they both became loose within 3 days, floppy, floppy wheel!!!!

You could get the OEM camber bolt for the bottom and use your SPCcam bolt in the top(what I did)

And yes that is the proper procedure to adjust the camber, you dont have to fully take the bolt out of the bottom, leave enough tension to hold position EXCEPT when adjusting.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-18-2011, 09:34 PM
I tried it for a short time(only because I didnt have any OEM camber change bolts) and they both became loose within 3 days, floppy, floppy wheel!!!!

You could get the OEM camber bolt for the bottom and use your SPCcam bolt in the top(what I did)

And yes that is the proper procedure to adjust the camber, you dont have to fully take the bolt out of the bottom, leave enough tension to hold position EXCEPT when adjusting.

ah i am a retard...when i installed the camber bolt. i left the bottom bolt oem bolt untouched... i shall re install it correctly and attempt to fix my camber and report back.

where do i find an oem camber bolt?

ep3jd
07-18-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm a retard too, don't worry lol

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-18-2011, 09:42 PM
i need the part number or a link to the honda oem camber bolt.

since i have 2 sets of spc camber bolts. i guess ill be selling one soon.

after hearing that they slip i don't feel safe running all 4 spc bolts.

I'm a retard too, don't worry lol

http://www.dererumnatura.us/archives/images/petarded.png

talonXracer
07-19-2011, 05:32 AM
OEM camber ADJUSTING bolt is 90188-S6M-Z01

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-19-2011, 11:26 PM

couldn't you buy a honda camber adjusting bolt and try to add more negative camber?

or is the integrity of the whole knuckle gone when it's bent.

Andrew
07-19-2011, 11:29 PM
couldn't you buy a honda camber adjusting bolt and try to add more negative camber?

or is the integrity of the whole knuckle gone when it's bent.

i am sure the integrity of the whole knuckle is gone since the knuckle is bent. i've seen a bent knuckle with nasty ugly positive camber when i was doing a 5lug swap. we couldnt even get the axle and hub back into place for awhile then we somehow muscled it in, but after it looked super ugly and from there we knew it was bad.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-20-2011, 11:45 AM
i am sure the integrity of the whole knuckle is gone since the knuckle is bent. i've seen a bent knuckle with nasty ugly positive camber when i was doing a 5lug swap. we couldnt even get the axle and hub back into place for awhile then we somehow muscled it in, but after it looked super ugly and from there we knew it was bad.

seeing as how before the install of new coilovers my camber and toe was fine. then after camber was way off. i think something just needs to be adjusted or untorqued moved then retorqued. i didnt have a hard time putting anything back together it seemed almost too easy

ep3jd
07-20-2011, 12:22 PM

This.

My current situation. No wonder the whole swap only cost me 150 lol

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-20-2011, 12:48 PM
could tie rod ends installed wrong cause it?
i had to change to rsx tie rod ends.

ep3jd
07-20-2011, 12:59 PM
That would only effect toe in/out

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-20-2011, 08:50 PM
i got a chance to take the wheel off today.
i couldnt get either of the bolts to budge probably because the alignment place tightened them with air tools.
but i did get a chance to snap pics i will post later. i checked for bends or anything...and i cannot find anything wrong with the knuckle. like i said camber was perfect before coilover install.

the camber tab is in the neutral position its facing straight down...meaning the camber bolt i put on is not adding or reducing camber...im absolutely sure i can reduce the camber more if i could get the bolts to move. and maybe add another camber bolt

i ordered 2 oem camber adjusting bolts. so if anyone wants a set of spc camber bolts i have some.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-21-2011, 12:55 AM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/IMG_20110720_201827.jpghttp://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/IMG_20110720_201839.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/IMG_20110720_202130.jpghttp://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/IMG_20110720_202005.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/IMG_20110720_202119.jpghttp://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/IMG_20110720_202024.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/IMG_20110720_201930.jpghttp://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/IMG_20110720_201814.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/IMG_20110720_163545.jpghttp://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/IMG_20110720_163538.jpg

i just now realized how crappy the pics were...i was in a hurry. had to go home to finish up homework to turn in. -_-

27rocks
07-21-2011, 06:45 AM
IF you cant get it to 0 or get any - camber out of the unit then there is something wrong. Everything in the pics looks like its put on right, so that leaves you with one thing. Something is bent just enough for the naked eye not to catch it easily. I know this sucks but i would take the strut out and inspect it more carefully.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-21-2011, 07:02 AM
IF you cant get it to 0 or get any - camber out of the unit then there is something wrong. Everything in the pics looks like its put on right, so that leaves you with one thing. Something is bent just enough for the naked eye not to catch it easily. I know this sucks but i would take the strut out and inspect it more carefully.

yeah i know. but im pretty confident that the reason why the alignment tech couldn't change camber is because he has no idea how camber bolts work...
he told me getting a second camber bolt wouldn't help....which i then went home and researched how camber bolts work and getting a second one does add more adjustability...

i probably need to go back to firestone and tell them to loosen the bottom bolt and then adjust the top camber bolt...freaking idiots.

i will report back once i try go try that because i cant get the bolts to move even with my breaker bar.

27rocks
07-21-2011, 07:27 AM
yeah i know. but im pretty confident that the reason why the alignment tech couldn't change camber is because he has no idea how camber bolts work...
he told me getting a second camber bolt wouldn't help....which i then went home and researched how camber bolts work and getting a second one does add more adjustability...

i probably need to go back to firestone and tell them to loosen the bottom bolt and then adjust the top camber bolt...freaking idiots.

i will report back once i try go try that because i cant get the bolts to move even with my breaker bar.Good luck!

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-21-2011, 11:03 AM
could i take firestone and tell them to fix it while they're doing the alignment? or is it something that i have to untorque, then remove the bolt and reinstall it and fix myself?

27rocks
07-21-2011, 09:08 PM
could i take firestone and tell them to fix it while they're doing the alignment? or is it something that i have to untorque, then remove the bolt and reinstall it and fix myself?Have them do it while they are doing the alignment. They need to loosen both bolts. The factory bolt just needs to be loosened enough where the knuckle can be moved when turning the camber bolt. The guys there should know what the heck they are doing lol, its not that complicated. Just advise them that you have camber bolts in there that can be adjusted.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-22-2011, 12:46 AM
Have them do it while they are doing the alignment. They need to loosen both bolts. The factory bolt just needs to be loosened enough where the knuckle can be moved when turning the camber bolt. The guys there should know what the heck they are doing lol, its not that complicated. Just advise them that you have camber bolts in there that can be adjusted.

o...you would be surprised...
i had them tell me some crazy stuff before...which i then had to go into the "shop area" and explain to them exactly how to do what i needed done.
my last alignment i had to tell the guy to fix my tie rods to get my toe right by i quote "loosening the nuts on the adjusting thingy on the pipe looking thing with the tie rod ends on it"...i mean wtf you should know that or you shouldnt be doing my alignment!
if only i knew someone with a shop or the correct tools even so i could do this shit myself.

i guess that's what a $150 lifetime alignment gets you at firestone :mcry:

27rocks
07-22-2011, 06:56 AM
o...you would be surprised...
i had them tell me some crazy stuff before...which i then had to go into the "shop area" and explain to them exactly how to do what i needed done.
my last alignment i had to tell the guy to fix my tie rods to get my toe right by i quote "loosening the nuts on the adjusting thingy on the pipe looking thing with the tie rod ends on it"...i mean wtf you should know that or you shouldnt be doing my alignment!
if only i knew someone with a shop or the correct tools even so i could do this shit myself.

i guess that's what a $150 lifetime alignment gets you at firestone :mcry:Are there no other shops around your area that can do alignments? I wouldn't trust those fools with my car and its embarrassing that Firestone would even higher someone like that.
Honestly once everything is figured out and you get your shit straightened out go on their website and leave a comment (they are a nation wide company). Add your area and store # and explain that they have people there working with zero experience. They are messing with peoples lives, there should be zero tolerance for stupid stuff like that. Those guys are the type that would leave a critical bolt loose for some stupid reason and the person would end up crashing their car.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Are there no other shops around your area that can do alignments? I wouldn't trust those fools with my car and its embarrassing that Firestone would even higher someone like that.
Honestly once everything is figured out and you get your shit straightened out go on their website and leave a comment (they are a nation wide company). Add your area and store # and explain that they have people there working with zero experience. They are messing with peoples lives, there should be zero tolerance for stupid stuff like that. Those guys are the type that would leave a critical bolt loose for some stupid reason and the person would end up crashing their car.

i found a competent person. he owns a crx its pretty clean. only thing is he's not always there so.
i could call in and ask when he's there but my schedule is busy with work and school, so when i decide to go...i gotta go that time or wait another week.

but yes i already have filed a complaint and left a bad review on google places/maps

i've been back for like 6 alignments already, it's paid for itself. alignment shops around here aren't generous enough to let me keep doing stuff to my car and come back to realign it for free.

27rocks
07-22-2011, 07:15 AM
i found a competent person. he owns a crx its pretty clean. only thing is he's not always there so.
i could call in and ask when he's there but my schedule is busy with work and school, so when i decide to go...i gotta go that time or wait another week.

but yes i already have filed a complaint and left a bad review on google places/mapsAwesome man!! Best of luck to you!

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-30-2011, 10:10 AM
just thought i'd update

so i ordered those oem bolts but they sent me

90188-S6M-Z02
instead of
90188-S6M-Z01

i looked up the part number and couldnt find a difference so i used it for the bottom bolts in my front knuckle/ strut
spc bolts for the top bolts

i fixed the camber on the wheel..
it's obviously not +2 anymore it is at least 0 now (could be -.3 or something close to that)

and i put on hardrace rear camber kit
all of it was a major major PITA because of stuck bolts but i got it done ( no pictures tho :( )
i havent gone for an alignment.
but i can confirm just by eye that my front drivers side camber is no longer positive

ill post alignment updates later and maybe pictures if i get a chance to snap some.

EP3JD : you should try to fix your camber by using the honda bolt along with whatever camber bolt you already have. if it's only +1 you might be able to pull it back into 0 and save yourself the trouble of rreplacing an expensive part...just my .02 cents

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-09-2011, 06:37 PM
so against what you guys said about spc bolts slipping...im gonna run 2 spc camber bolts on one of my front struts to try and get more negative camber on that side...something is probably bent. i cant get it past -.6, while the other side goes to -1.3
i hear mixed reviews...some people's slip some people's don't

is it ok to shave off the handle in order for the washer to fit? (highlighted in green), because the strut has this protruding thing (also highlighted in green) there that wont allow the washer to be placed where it needs to be in order to add negative camber in the bottom bolt

or maybe i could bend the handle so that it is 90 degrees to the washer?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/SPC-67125_m.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/IMG_20110720_201827-1.jpg

i might just leave it alone...save myself the headache if its too much trouble.
right now my camber is set to -0.5 front and -0.5 rears

i was hoping to get -1.0 front and -0.5 rears

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-14-2011, 09:42 PM
bumpfor an answer

PatrickJamesYu
08-14-2011, 09:55 PM
You can not shave those they are supposed to be there
they are essentially what keeps the bolts from slipping I believe.

I would think 90 degree angles is okay
but no shaving.