PDA

View Full Version : A/C Went Out

KevinEP3
07-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Alright, today the ac was working ok at 3:00, but when I got in my car at 9:30 I turned it on and it was blowing hot air, there is a noise coming from the dash, and it stinks. Any ideas what went out in it?

Manny Kid 15
07-19-2011, 08:46 PM
it might be your condenser, or also you might need to replace the AC Filters

AKEP
07-20-2011, 12:46 AM
check your cabin air filters, behind the glove box.

if you heard the noise from the dash, maybe your evaporator popped. or something. you can get the low pressure guages at an autostore ($10) and see if your low pressure side has anything in it. should be around 40 psi or something. obviously would show like 0 if you have a leak. if u have a leak just grab a can of the UV charge kit and fill it up a bit, get a uv kit and find the leak.

Rasy
07-20-2011, 12:54 PM
I would go to AutoZone and rent the A/C hose kit. You'll get your deposit money back once you return it, and you can check the low side port (top left when facing engine bay).

Like AKEP said, make sure it's around 40-45 psi.

Another item to investigate would be the switch on top of the dryer-receiver. If it went out, it can make the system stop working due to lower/higher refrigerant to prevent compressor damage. You can refill the car with refrigerant if you are low, and that may kick the compressor back on.

I replaced my A/C compressor (recently) for a second time, and this time it made a slight noise while driving on the highway and the A/C started blowing cold to hot air. For me it was the compressor's clutch that seized up. So it's somewhat similar to what you experienced, but I never had a smell.

KevinEP3
07-20-2011, 08:50 PM
I have the hose that comes with some recharge kits. Is that the same thing? My compressor seized up last year and I replaced it with a used one. That was a disaster cuz the belt broke twice. This time it went from kinda cold to hot in one day. I guess I’ll need to invest in the leak kit since I’ve had problems before. I’ve recharged a few times myself and once professionally. So there must be a leak somewhere.

Rasy
07-26-2011, 07:53 PM
The hose kit that comes with the recharger isn't the same thing as an independent hose kit. The standalone version will give you a more accurate reading and also allow you to read the high pressure side as well.

The schrader type valves on the service ports in our cars can also leak, although uncommon, but you do want to check those. You can replace those pretty easy with a kit, though I found AutoZone doesn't sell the one we need.

KevinEP3
07-27-2011, 08:59 PM
So I was looking at all the stuff needed to find the leak and its $50 for the UV kit then I got to buy more coolant. So I just thought I would take the $75 and apply it to shop fees. It turned out being the condenser cuz I bent the shit out of it a few years back on a speed bump. $385 later so far so good, I used to have it on full blast just to feel comfortable now all I need is a couple notches. I even turned off the recirculation at night cuz it was too cold. Not a bad problem to have down here in Dallas.

Rasy
07-30-2011, 05:48 AM
Glad to hear you got it fixed. That's one more EP on Texas roads that can brave the record 100+ degree weather!