PDA

View Full Version : hard suspension over bumps

si03
07-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Not sure if I got that tittle right but here go's.
Ever since I bought this car the ride has been quite harsh over bumps. It could be a Small pot whole to a speed bump doesn't matter. It feels like there's no shocks or they are shot or something. Not smooth AT ALL.
Recently I had some work done on my car and asked the mechanic to check my shocks to see if they were shot and he says there's nothing wrong with them . So my question is, why is this happening and what could I do to fix this problem?
Wish I had friends to check this out for me but I don't. I know nothing about cars so I have no clue what could be causing this :shrug: .

Thanks

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-22-2011, 05:16 PM
shocks, ball joints, tie rods, lower control arm bushings could cause it.

xx_hatch_xx
07-22-2011, 05:25 PM
i heard a short wheelbase may also be at fault

PatrickJamesYu
07-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Stock suspension?
What kind of car's are you used to driving?
It could simply be a matter of preference.
But if you describe it as "no shocks" I doubt that's the case

02TWSI
07-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Need more info.

Wheels? Tires? Tire size? Stock or modified suspension?

si03
07-24-2011, 12:07 PM
it's an 03 with stock shocks and suspension, rims are 16's w/ 255/65 r16 all season tires. The car has about 75k miles on it.
I have driven an ep3 in the past and it drove like a dream (as far as suspension go's).Driving that car is what made me get an Ep.
There's definitely something wrong with the suspension part of this car I just don't know what it could be. It's crazy annoying driving it cause I feel every little bump as if it has no shocks.

Another strange thing is my exhaust hits the fuel tank over bumps which is also annoying. I checked underneath the car car and it's being held up by 2 rubber arms that are loose. Is there some kinda fix for that ?

Thanks,

si03
07-24-2011, 12:11 PM
shocks, ball joints, tie rods, lower control arm bushings could cause it.

How do I go about finding out if it's any of the above mentioned ? Would it have to be checked by a mechanic or is there a way for me to do a diagnostic test on my own ?
Remember that I'm a noob to modification and might not have the necessary tools.
thanks

27rocks
07-24-2011, 12:15 PM
it's an 03 with stock shocks and suspension, rims are 16's w/ 255/65 r16 all season tires. The car has about 75k miles on it.
I have driven an ep3 in the past and it drove like a dream (as far as suspension go's).Driving that car is what made me get an Ep.
There's definitely something wrong with the suspension part of this car I just don't know what it could be. It's crazy annoying driving it cause I feel every little bump as if it has no shocks.

Another strange thing is my exhaust hits the fuel tank over bumps which is also annoying. I checked underneath the car car and it's being held up by 2 rubber arms that are loose. Is there some kinda fix for that ?

Thanks,To me it sounds like your struts are blown. What you are feeling is basically the strut bottoming out on bumps. Does the car feel or seem unusually bouncy by any chance? One way to quickly check if your struts are blown is to just raise the tire off the ground, and then try lifting the wheel up by hand. If its rather easy to lift it then they are blown. There should be some resistance... as far as the exhaust goes i would actually replace the two rear muffler ones with something a bit stiffer. Those actually do a better job of keeping the mid pipe or the "2 rubber" arm flange away from that area. All that one does is basically keep the joint from sagging.

si03
07-24-2011, 12:48 PM
To me it sounds like your struts are blown. What you are feeling is basically the strut bottoming out on bumps. Does the car feel or seem unusually bouncy by any chance? One way to quickly check if your struts are blown is to just raise the tire off the ground, and then try lifting the wheel up by hand. If its rather easy to lift it then they are blown. There should be some resistance... as far as the exhaust goes i would actually replace the two rear muffler ones with something a bit stiffer. Those actually do a better job of keeping the mid pipe or the "2 rubber" arm flange away from that area. All that one does is basically keep the joint from sagging.

Car is not bouncy. If the struts are blown, Do you have any recommendations on new struts ? this is my DD and not looking to autocross. I'm not looking to spend allot of $$ on it as I'll also be forking out cash to have them replaced by a shop.

Oh, I'm also looking (possibly) on replacing my springs to like a 1" to 1.5" drop. Would it be a good idea to wait and buy everything together or could I get the shocks now and later on the springs.
thanks

si03
07-24-2011, 03:51 PM
I've been searching all day and came up with these http://www.discountautoshocks.com/shop/?N=0&VN=4294967180+4294967031+4294967025+4294965400+429 4967173&PN=&Nr=AND%28part:Shock+Absorber+and+Strut+Assembly,un iversal:0%29&Ntt=kyb%20struts .

On my research I found these to be good for DD. Any thoughts ? On springs I'm thinking about Eibach Springs Pro-Kit with the 1'' drop.

PatrickJamesYu
07-24-2011, 04:57 PM
255/65/16? that has got to be hugee!
haha

The KYB's I personally believe will be perfectly fine for DD.
Shoot for just DD I'd even consider Monroe's if I didn't care.

But since you're considering a drop
Tokico Blue's are popular for DD replacement w/ drops. (the budget strut/shock that a lot of people drop on.)
Tokico D-spec is an upgrade with adjustable dampening
Koni Yellow's is an upgrade with adjustable dampening
Bilsteins, non adjustable(i think) but is big upgrade.

McTaggart34
07-24-2011, 07:14 PM
COILOVERS .. PERIOD :D

but thats just IMO

si03
07-25-2011, 08:31 AM
not looking for coilovers, overkill for a DD in my opinion.
I might go with Eibach springs 1'' drop and possible tokico blue's. Anyone with some feed back that are currently running this set up ?

I just wish I could do the install myself and save some cash.

Drew1d
07-26-2011, 11:22 AM
What springs are you running? Are you sure they are stock? between the front tire and the fender, how big is the gap?

lemonhead228
07-31-2011, 01:45 AM
If you're drop, its prolly cuz you spring rate is too low. Basically the strut is holding most of your car weight.

talonXracer
07-31-2011, 06:04 AM
Cheap springs and struts that are shot and is probably dropped. You are basically riding on the bump stops.