PDA

View Full Version : turbo setup with stock exhaust -- please read and help.

ep3demic
07-24-2011, 01:24 AM
so i got pulled over (again) by the same cop and apparently he's the only one who pulls over anyone in this town with exhausts that are louder than stock. i've got a family to provide for so i can't be dishing out cash to the city because of my exhaust. it's just not worth it.

so i was wondering about running low boost with stock exhaust... need opinions please. if stock subaru's can do it i can too.

so please please don't burn me or anything. i just want some help with my options or what i should do. or maybe even exhaust options...

Ctd-fab
07-24-2011, 02:21 AM
How much power are you running?

Ive heard 2.5 inch exhaust systems sound stock like, a cat in there also helps. Should still be able to support 300hp no problem. A customer of mine with a JRSC wants to put his stock exhaust back on and have me fabricate an electric cutout, best of both worlds.

What is your exhaust like right now? I recommend a nice long resonator with High flow cat and real muffler (not straight through) for good sound deadening.

ep3demic
07-24-2011, 02:46 AM
How much power are you running?

Ive heard 2.5 inch exhaust systems sound stock like, a cat in there also helps. Should still be able to support 300hp no problem. A customer of mine with a JRSC wants to put his stock exhaust back on and have me fabricate an electric cutout, best of both worlds.

What is your exhaust like right now? I recommend a nice long resonator with High flow cat and real muffler (not straight through) for good sound deadening.

i just got back from installing the silencer. drove it around for a little bit. doesn't seem bad. i know it might mess with my tune, but i know i can stay outta boost. i'm gonna run this for the mean time. gonna check in with the cop shop to see if they'll allow that. if not, gonna go with a new setup and still make power.

well, i used to have a greddy evo 2 cat-back exhaust when i was running basic bolt-ons. i had just sold the midpipe to another ep driver. maybe i can buy it back or buy his stock setup. my current setup i have is the rev hard kit which has the 2.25 inch piping (i think) ===> megan test pipe===> skunk2 exhaust (70mm) i'm tuned for 9.5psi.

what i want to do is use the stock muffler because this cop (and i mean just this one) tags anyone that has an exhaust that doesn't look stock. any recommendation using the stock muffler? (i know it's the worst idea...but i have to do it.)

ep3demic
07-24-2011, 03:25 AM
i was reading some old threads about having the same problem and ran into this... anyone use this with their turbo setup?

http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/VIB-1147.html

does it really help deaden sound?

05 hatch
07-24-2011, 05:52 AM
i was reading some old threads about having the same problem and ran into this... anyone use this with their turbo setup?

http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/VIB-1147.html

does it really help deaden sound?

It should be quieter than your skunk2, plus it will look a lot more like stock which is what most cops look for. If your resonator is not very long, I would switch that out too. I had an 18" resonator and it worked exactly the same as a vibrant ultra quiet resonator.

AUTiger
07-24-2011, 08:35 AM
vibrant sells a dual tip flat black muffler. You could put the 2.5in one on and even put polished tips on the end to make it look stock

RHCP0801
07-24-2011, 08:40 AM
vibrant mufflers are straight through so i doubt that would help with the sound

ep3demic
07-24-2011, 11:54 AM
vibrant mufflers are straight through so i doubt that would help with the sound

yeah...just read a lot of reviews saying vibrant was just as loud or even louder.

would this be a stupid idea?

after the megan test pipe, use the greddy evo 2 midpipe then stock axel back

sorry just trying to come up with an idea without spending too much money.

superchargedk20
07-24-2011, 04:11 PM
The vibrant sleeper series is quiet. I got pulled over all the time with my Apexi. I've never been pulled over with the vibrant. And its waaaaay quieter. This is also with a custom 3 in no cat with a vibrant resonator. Everything else is insane loud compared to this. Apex greddy skunk 2 they don't compare to a vibrant and if Ur turbo it will be even quieter than a supercharged or na setup. U can see videos of my at wot and u can see for urlsef

ep3demic
07-24-2011, 05:28 PM
The vibrant sleeper series is quiet. I got pulled over all the time with my Apexi. I've never been pulled over with the vibrant. And its waaaaay quieter. This is also with a custom 3 in no cat with a vibrant resonator. Everything else is insane loud compared to this. Apex greddy skunk 2 they don't compare to a vibrant and if Ur turbo it will be even quieter than a supercharged or na setup. U can see videos of my at wot and u can see for urlsef

so get this and call it good?

http://www.clubrsx.com/clubep3/VIB-1147.html

anything else i should get?

Ctd-fab
07-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Seems a little expensive to me. Have you thought about hitting up any local muffler shops to see if they have anything used or maybe not name brand to save some $$$. Personally I go with a chambered muffler though.

I'm glad cops around here don't really care about noise....I'm running an foot long up-pipe out my hood, daily driver, no problems

ep3demic
07-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Seems a little expensive to me. Have you thought about hitting up any local muffler shops to see if they have anything used or maybe not name brand to save some $$$. Personally I go with a chambered muffler though.

I'm glad cops around here don't really care about noise....I'm running an foot long up-pipe out my hood, daily driver, no problems

well I'll be getting my hands on a stock muffler come wednesday. I'll try to come up with something and try to produce power... sad day for me...

if that doesn't work out, I'll try out the vibrant.

Ctd-fab
07-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Stock muffler + something like this. Loud when you want, quiet when you want and they have boost operated ones also.

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/555/555-30832_1.jpg

Just a thought

superchargedk20
07-25-2011, 01:22 AM
so get this and call it good?

http://www.clubrsx.com/clubep3/VIB-1147.html

anything else i should get?
There ya go! Do u have a cat? Getting a high flo cat will help too if Ur straight pipe right now. Look at it this way. If its only that one ass cop next time he gets behind u and see that vibrant muffler he's gona think its stock and he's gona notice u changed it. Plus its def gona be quieter. U might pull it off

ginger
07-25-2011, 05:30 AM
we use to put our stock muffler on the hangar, use a resonator and straight pipe that exited out the bottom of the muffler. entered the back like normal but in 3" then took a 45 down and exited bout half way threw the muffler, looked stock and let us boost with free flow, and on a straight pipe its not to loud... my friend was making them for people in az when the cops were loosing there mind a couple years back. but its alot of work...

ep3demic
07-25-2011, 10:57 PM
There ya go! Do u have a cat? Getting a high flo cat will help too if Ur straight pipe right now. Look at it this way. If its only that one ass cop next time he gets behind u and see that vibrant muffler he's gona think its stock and he's gona notice u changed it. Plus its def gona be quieter. U might pull it off

i've also thought about high flow cat, but they're really expensive. any suggestions for high flow cats? I've also thought about the resonator idea but i'd still have to chop up some pipes and weld or pay for a custom exhaust. so for now, i'll try to work with the stock muffler (and talk to an exhaust shop to see what they can do) and street tune the car. next year, when i have money, i'll try to come up with custom exhaust that's quiet and produce some power.

i'm also waiting for my friend to fight his ticket and see what happens...then i can just swap mufflers and switch maps.

ep3demic
07-25-2011, 10:58 PM
we use to put our stock muffler on the hangar, use a resonator and straight pipe that exited out the bottom of the muffler. entered the back like normal but in 3" then took a 45 down and exited bout half way threw the muffler, looked stock and let us boost with free flow, and on a straight pipe its not to loud... my friend was making them for people in az when the cops were loosing there mind a couple years back. but its alot of work...

got any pics and details on the full setup?

ginger
07-26-2011, 12:43 AM
unfortunately i dont, not on me anyways maybe on my computer when i get home in a couple months...

ep3demic
07-26-2011, 07:27 PM
so i asked local shops and they are charging up the wazzu for labor and parts. i'm better off buying a whole new exhaust system. so what i plan to do is chop up my test pipe and get a magnaflow 3" in/out high flow cat part number 53009(anyone had experience using that specific part?), weld it and call it good for that end of the exhaust, but i still have to worry about the muffler. i'm still thinking keeping the vibrant in mind. gotta save for it though.

does anyone know how bad would it be to use the stock cat? i know i'd probably destroy it and clogging it. can anyone chime in?

Ctd-fab
07-26-2011, 07:41 PM
if you need cash for a high flow or muffler you can sell your stock cat. I sold mine to a guy on k20.org for $165 if i remember correctly, everything was legit.

ep3demic
07-26-2011, 07:54 PM
if you need cash for a high flow or muffler you can sell your stock cat. I sold mine to a guy on k20.org for $165 if i remember correctly, everything was legit.

i have a megan test pipe on my current setup. i no longer have the stock cat. i don't know where i put it :(
i was planning to chop up the test pipe then and weld the cat on there.

AKEP
07-27-2011, 03:10 AM
i thought about doing this. if it would pass the sniffer i would do it like tomorrow. i'll ask my tuner if he knows about high flow cats passing smog.im kinda over the smell of gas when i let my car warm up.

ep3demic
07-27-2011, 03:22 AM
i thought about doing this. if it would pass the sniffer i would do it like tomorrow. i'll ask my tuner if he knows about high flow cats passing smog.im kinda over the smell of gas when i let my car warm up.

i'll let you know how it turns out if i have to do this...or you can let me know how yours turns out if you happen to do it before me. we don't really have to worry about the emissions where i'm at in alaska. i'm just trying to think of ways to quiet down my car, make a bit of power, without spending too much money at the moment.

gtimportfanatic
07-27-2011, 04:21 AM
my old setup was a custom crush bent 3" piping with a 3" Cat and OBX twin loop muffler.. its quieter than stock muffler with bigger piping. ill see if i can get a sound clip up cuz its on my friends car

Onasty
07-27-2011, 08:02 AM
my old setup was a custom crush bent 3" piping with a 3" Cat and OBX twin loop muffler.. its quieter than stock muffler with bigger piping. ill see if i can get a sound clip up cuz its on my friends car

All you hear is the open dumb.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKRC3J2hng8

WPB EP3
07-27-2011, 03:11 PM
do a 2.5" custom exhaust that bolts up the the stock muffler, should be plenty quiet, even with no cat. Add a resonator as well.

ep3demic
07-27-2011, 11:12 PM
do a 2.5" custom exhaust that bolts up the the stock muffler, should be plenty quiet, even with no cat. Add a resonator as well.

i found a 2.5 comptech exhaust from a buddy, but i'm gonna just use the stock muffler. gonna pick it up this weekend. then install then retune...and show it to the cop shop. woot.

AKEP
07-28-2011, 12:40 AM
i used to do I/M testing in Anchorage. unless they changed it back since 2006, if it was obd2 it was a visual inspection and you were done with smog. sniffer was for anything older or troubleshooting. couldn't check for correct engine, mods, if the cat was gutted, or anything else. just had to make sure the CEL worked and that there was what looked like a car and 2 o2 sensors. so yeah, i can't imagine them worried about I/M testing in Juneau. But I live in Cali now so they do care, and if a high flow passes then i'm all about it. I have a shop that will pass the visual but the sniffer i need to get around...

AKEP
07-28-2011, 02:20 AM
wait, if you want it quiet, just put a stock muffler on? i have a 3" kteller exhaust except the axle back (stock for now) and its like stock...quiet..

gtimportfanatic
07-28-2011, 05:14 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/damion666/th_a9d53ad4.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/damion666/?action=view&current=a9d53ad4.mp4)

ep3demic
07-28-2011, 08:39 AM
wait, if you want it quiet, just put a stock muffler on? i have a 3" kteller exhaust except the axle back (stock for now) and its like stock...quiet..

alright thanks! my buddy has a skunk2 exhaust as well and says it won't fit nicely (unless someone can tell me otherwise). i'm going to find out for myself before i bolt on the comptech.

bearcat91
07-28-2011, 04:57 PM
http://xforce.com.au/cars/view_car/29. Saw this on a DSM forum a while ago, also one from. Raceland but they don't make it any more...the dual tip looks similar to stock I think.

ep3demic
08-02-2011, 01:36 AM
so attempted the stock muffler thing the other night...i wish someone had chimed in and said "idiot! it won't fit." it's just about an 1" - 1.5" too long. i'm trying to find another way to tame this beast of an exhaust. after looking at the piping, there's no where to really add another resonator. and yes, i can there's a place where the 2 midpipe sections bolt up, but then for sure i'll scrape. i currently still have the silencer in...(stupid cop)

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr86/jiyakku/Picture258.jpg

i suppose i'll have to look into a high flow cat to quiet it down a bit more...any other ideas?

AKEP
08-02-2011, 08:01 AM
modify it so the stock fits...get some welding done!

1GR8EP3
08-02-2011, 09:41 AM
the skunk2 is a nice flowing exhaust what makes it loud is the resonator they use paired with the loud muffler... if your trying to make it quite then look into Vibrant for a quite res and get it welded in by someone who know has some experience. So that way your exhaust will still look nice.

option two try and find an Apexi Noir muffler with a 3in inlet and have that welded on

ep3demic
08-03-2011, 04:28 AM
the skunk2 is a nice flowing exhaust what makes it loud is the resonator they use paired with the loud muffler... if your trying to make it quite then look into Vibrant for a quite res and get it welded in by someone who know has some experience. So that way your exhaust will still look nice.

option two try and find an Apexi Noir muffler with a 3in inlet and have that welded on

(sorry for asking noob questions...)

so i should chop up the resonator from skunk2 and weld in the vibrant to replace it?

http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/VIB-1142.html

and i'm also thinking about getting a random tech high flow. i forgot those existed. i know i was originally looking for a cheap way, but i just got a bonus check for a nice sum of money so i think i'll invest a bit more to quiet the beast and to get this one cop to approve that it's not loud anymore.

i'll first get my hands on the high flow cat to see how it sounds. then try out the vibrant res later.

thank you everyone for putting up with my noobness. (exhaust was never a problem in my town up until the recent couple months)

1GR8EP3
08-03-2011, 09:48 AM
someone posted a cutout in an earlier post and I forgot all about that haha. A great option is to run your stock exhaust but have the cutout welded on to your down pipe right where it starts to bend back. It will give you ground clearance and youll gain numbers. Also when its closed you wont even tell your boosted. Also if you plan on going this route just be sure to have an o2 bung welded in before the cutout so your car can still read the afr's.

Jmage
08-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Stock muffler isn't THAT quiet... The only thing that makes it quiet is our stupid stock 1.75" exhaust piping with the even stupider 1.25" stock resonator.

I have a 4-2-1 race-header, custom 2.5" exhaust pipe with hi-flow cat and magnaflow resonator to the stock muffler and it's very louder than the stock exhaust system but not as loud as many other aftermarket muffler would have been, but It's really "reasonable" for a "performance" exhaust system and I don't worry about cops with this setup. Plus if you're boosted, the 1.75" inlet of the stock muffler is gonna restrict you. You might want to check for a twin-loop exhaust? (dunno if it works good on boost tho...)

Guardian
08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
just put on stock cat-back, back in the day i made 240 with stock exhaust on 7psi. i got kpro, up'ed boost and made around 280-300 with stock exhaust.

...most of my old ass vids had stock exhaust

WPB EP3
08-23-2011, 11:49 AM
stock ftw!

sleepy ep3
08-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Sticking with the stock muffler is gay. If u want it to be quieter, just stick the restricter inside the skunk muffler, and forget it. Why bottleneck the exhaust at the muffler? What's the point? To say you did it?

blueandgoldep3
08-27-2011, 10:26 PM
too lazy to read whole thread buuuuut if youre looking for a stock looking exhaust go with the one i have, check out the magna flow cat-back looks completely stock but sounds pretty damn good nice and deep

AKEP
08-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Stock muffler isn't THAT quiet... The only thing that makes it quiet is our stupid stock 1.75" exhaust piping with the even stupider 1.25" stock resonator.

I have a 4-2-1 race-header, custom 2.5" exhaust pipe with hi-flow cat and magnaflow resonator to the stock muffler and it's very louder than the stock exhaust system but not as loud as many other aftermarket muffler would have been, but It's really "reasonable" for a "performance" exhaust system and I don't worry about cops with this setup. Plus if you're boosted, the 1.75" inlet of the stock muffler is gonna restrict you. You might want to check for a twin-loop exhaust? (dunno if it works good on boost tho...)

sorry but N/A exhaust vs boosted is completly different. before i had my boosted setup i had the private label, 2.5" midpipe and stock muffler. it was loud still no matter what. when i went boosted i used the stock muffler while i was looking for a new one. sounded the same as stock.

i now have full 3" piping, 3" vibrant ultraquiet and 3" megan M-OE and its nearly as quiet as stock.

IIRC, ak emissions on 96+ vehicles is visual (i think i said this before) and an obd-2 plug check to make sure theres no pending codes and the CEL works. I know this is about the cop being a dickhole over loud exhaust (which also IIRC there was no law against it up there?) and as far as I/M testing goes you only NEED 18" of pipe behind the cat to stick the gas probe in it if you need it.

I drove around anchorage all summer with an open cat. loud as shit. cause i could. no one said otherwise.

japarossa
08-29-2011, 08:30 AM
The stock exhaust will work fine on a boosted a3 its not ideal but it will work. Otherwise just go with a 50 State legal system like the magnaflow. I have the magnaflow and unless you know ep's you would think it was stock. The cops here have just started bitching and whining about this aswell. Here they dont just ticket you, they pull your safety inspection sticker and make you tow it home.

04EP3Hatch
08-30-2011, 05:37 PM
so i got pulled over (again) by the same cop and apparently he's the only one who pulls over anyone in this town with exhausts that are louder than stock. i've got a family to provide for so i can't be dishing out cash to the city because of my exhaust. it's just not worth it.

so i was wondering about running low boost with stock exhaust... need opinions please. if stock subaru's can do it i can too.

so please please don't burn me or anything. i just want some help with my options or what i should do. or maybe even exhaust options...

heres your best bet:

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/images/categorylanding/images/lp_flatblackdualtip.jpg

and

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/53000046/Images/2/12640__1.jpg

i have the ultra quiet resonator and it doesnt do to much lol i have the magnaflow 12640 to go in place of it

AKEP
08-31-2011, 02:50 AM
this was my option b if my resonator was too loud after the adding the muffler. i heard that ones tits for being quiet. 27" of packing, 6" round. its massive.

the ultra quiet alone doesn't help much. i ran midpipe only for a day and it WAS loud, but it did sound really good. not ricey at all, just deep grumbling, it didn't even scream at high end. but it was loud. like the jolly green giant screaming AHHHH! =] after more 3" piping and a M-OE you can't hear a thing.

i'll stop selling the M-oe now. i still need to put a video up of it.

ep3demic
09-02-2011, 09:05 PM
just put on stock cat-back, back in the day i made 240 with stock exhaust on 7psi. i got kpro, up'ed boost and made around 280-300 with stock exhaust.

...most of my old ass vids had stock exhaust

The stock exhaust will work fine on a boosted a3 its not ideal but it will work. Otherwise just go with a 50 State legal system like the magnaflow. I have the magnaflow and unless you know ep's you would think it was stock. The cops here have just started bitching and whining about this aswell. Here they dont just ticket you, they pull your safety inspection sticker and make you tow it home.

thank you guys...this was an answer i was hoping to find. thank you everyone else for their input. I have the stock muffler ready all set, now I just need a high flow cat and oem mid-pipe.