PDA

View Full Version : car speaker wire??

wtfOO
12-29-2002, 11:58 PM
hi, i was wondering if i could use home theater speaker wire for the car. the home theater speaker wire is prob 12-16 gauge, im just wondering if it would work if u use it for the car speakers. thanks.

wtfOO
12-30-2002, 12:25 PM
does anyone know?

napapacoda
12-30-2002, 12:40 PM
I don't see why not. I used it as a temporary solution for about a week some home audio 14 awg wire from my amplifier to my crossover while I waitied for better stuff to come in the mail and it worked just fine.

wtfOO
12-30-2002, 12:55 PM
thanks. is there any real diff between car audio wire and home theater wire?

Jpax
12-30-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by wtfOO
thanks. is there any real diff between car audio wire and home theater wire?

YES AND NO

Yes some manufactures "say" its CAR AUDIO Speaker wire. usally they make the Jacket or plastic shield Thicker so it can take more abuse.

No theres not a difference because some manufactures buld a good jacket allready. Yes its cool to use bigger gauge. Will you hear a difference in the car. (on subs yea) on seperates Problay not. I dont have the "golden ear" but i'm about satisfaction so if you want it DO IT. I personally have 16gauge home theater Kimber Kable in my car..... :D

Ocelaris
01-14-2003, 09:22 PM
I plan on using 18 gauge home theatre speaker wire. If I run the wire through the doors... if not I'll just use the stock wire. Personally I don't think there is much of a difference... Of course the wire I have is from the company I worked for which installed whole house music. Pretty tough jacket, I think the monster cable jacket was much softer, and much larger than the heavy duty home speaker wire.

How hard is it to run the wire through the doors? Hanger and lube seems like a good plan. Ocelaris

Jpax
01-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Ocelaris
How hard is it to run the wire through the doors? Hanger and lube seems like a good plan. Ocelaris

That is the easy way....... I did it and it worked out great:D