PDA

View Full Version : REPLACING SECONDARY o2 SENSOR WITH DEFOULER

gizmo_75
07-28-2011, 10:59 AM
My car's CEL recently came on and im almost positive that its my o2 sensor that ive been planning on replacing for a minute now. has anyone ever replaced their secondary sensor with a defouler? ive heard of people doing it to their stock cats before. if so, is there any downfalls?

youlovemyep3
07-28-2011, 11:26 AM
A little off topic. What code did you throw?

gizmo_75
07-28-2011, 11:42 AM
A little off topic. What code did you throw?
Well, I haven't diagnosed it yet to retrieve the code yet, cause my CEL turned off, and I'm not sure I'll still be able to recover the code when the light is off.

mitchlikesbikes
07-28-2011, 12:23 PM
pretty sure the car will store past codes til they're deleted. or at least i think that's what talonxracer said once haha

gizmo_75
07-28-2011, 05:48 PM
pretty sure the car will store past codes til they're deleted. or at least i think that's what talonxracer said once haha hmm...I better go get it checked out then if that's the case..lol

talonXracer
07-28-2011, 06:04 PM
As long as the ECU was not reset(pulling the fuse or battery) any ACTIVE codes will be stored in memory.

NEVER assume what a CEL is, a bad o2 sensor CEL will NOT GO AWAY, the defouler is ADDED to a working secondary sensor, it does not replace it.

gizmo_75
07-29-2011, 07:06 AM
As long as the ECU was not reset(pulling the fuse or battery) any ACTIVE codes will be stored in memory.

NEVER assume what a CEL is, a bad o2 sensor CEL will NOT GO AWAY, the defouler is ADDED to a working secondary sensor, it does not replace it.
Thanks for the input...I should check it ASAP because I wouldn't want any problems for my move from cali to Washington, especially if I'm driving..lol

3dkahuna
08-04-2011, 09:53 PM
I did the very thing to my car. I replaced the secondary o2 sensor first, and when I threw the same code again, I knew it was not the o2 sensor but that the cat was going bad. I used a straight o2 extender, which I purchased mine from http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/straight-cel-fix.html and it worked like a charm. I highly recommend it, unless you feel like dropping $900 + for a new cat. You can pick them up used for about $200, but I felt like saving money and polluting the air a little more. :mangel:

apexracing
08-05-2011, 05:20 PM
They sell aftermarket oem style cats new for under 200 lol

sleepy ep3
08-05-2011, 09:10 PM
I hate to be the guy (actually no I dont) but why do ppl make threads about silly basic shit? Ephatch has gotten so damn weak lately. All it has been is "how do I install these JDM floormats?" or "aftermarket shift boot install thread" wtf? What happened to all the cool stuff that used to get posted on here? I started joining street racing forums because this site has become cluttered with lame ducks installing lame parts. Fawk it. There. I said it.

STP03BlueSI
08-06-2011, 10:38 AM
I hate to be the guy (actually no I dont) but why do ppl make threads about silly basic shit? Ephatch has gotten so damn weak lately. All it has been is "how do I install these JDM floormats?" or "aftermarket shift boot install thread" wtf? What happened to all the cool stuff that used to get posted on here? I started joining street racing forums because this site has become cluttered with lame ducks installing lame parts. Fawk it. There. I said it.

How is this site gotten cluttered? So we have a influx of newbies, deal with it or there is a nice red x in the upper right corner.

But to the original poster - Search, and also have the car scanned to make sure its not something else.

sleepy ep3
08-06-2011, 12:51 PM
How is this site gotten cluttered? So we have a influx of newbies, deal with it or there is a nice red x in the upper right corner.

But to the original poster - Search, and also have the car scanned to make sure its not something else.

There is always a hero. How many times has this subject been covered? Get real.

apexracing
08-10-2011, 10:27 PM
There is always a hero. How many times has this subject been covered? Get real.

Thread killer ~~~

jubaque
08-11-2011, 04:00 AM
anyone have defouler pic? never see one before

3dkahuna
08-11-2011, 07:13 AM
anyone have defouler pic? never see one before

I posted a link earlier in the thread. you can see what one looks like by going to: http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/straight-cel-fix.html