PDA

View Full Version : EP3 aftermarket exhaust loop hole for the popos?

DRP967
08-01-2011, 07:23 AM
The stock EP3 muffler has been discontinued, so the only option is aftermarket. Does that mean if my muffler is under 95 db (going by CA exhaust noise regulations) then the cop cannot write a ticket? And if he does so anyway it can be dismissed in court? After all the stock muffler is discontinued...only choice for replacement is aftermarket.

Siborg
08-01-2011, 07:58 AM
That would be nice... I might try that next time haha

Garrett
08-01-2011, 08:16 AM
also in for information... anyone know the rules in virginia?
edit: virginia is gay, any aftermarket exhaust is illegal and noise is dependent on officers discretion... thats bs

05 hatch
08-01-2011, 08:55 AM
The stock EP3 muffler has been discontinued, so the only option is aftermarket. Does that mean if my muffler is under 95 db (going by CA exhaust noise regulations) then the cop cannot write a ticket? And if he does so anyway it can be dismissed in court? After all the stock muffler is discontinued...only choice for replacement is aftermarket.

Please let this be true!

Siborg
08-01-2011, 11:30 AM
also in for information... anyone know the rules in virginia?
edit: virginia is gay, any aftermarket exhaust is illegal and noise is dependent on officers discretion... thats bsSame here in Washington, no db level measured, or "aftermarket"exhaust, so if the cop is having a bad day he can do whatever, which is how I got my ticket... I said "I have been pulled over many times and no issues sir, I got this exhaust because it's the most quite available". He said"yes I now, it's just my pet peeve".....I was like wtf! As the loudest Harley on the planet drives by( cop was on a Harley too) I wish I had my Phone on record so it may have helped me in court.

ImportCustomx
08-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Massachusetts is:

Anything non oem,aftermarket or modified outside oem specifications is illegal... basically the blow assholes here. but i have only had a problem when i drive around like a dick looking for trouble... i dont do that anymore...well..not all the time. :D

Garrett
08-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Same here in Washington, no db level measured, or "aftermarket"exhaust, so if the cop is having a bad day he can do whatever, which is how I got my ticket... I said "I have been pulled over many times and no issues sir, I got this exhaust because it's the most quite available". He said"yes I now, it's just my pet peeve".....I was like wtf! As the loudest Harley on the planet drives by( cop was on a Harley too) I wish I had my Phone on record so it may have helped me in court.
wow, thats rediculous

ShadowEP3
08-01-2011, 01:37 PM

correct

provide the court with proof that the exhaust is under 95 db's and you're good; if you already have something that states its under the 95db level, then you can show that to the officer and he can't (shouldn't) give you a ticket.

..dont show it to the cop though or he'll write you up for something else

PatrickJamesYu
08-01-2011, 02:01 PM
The officer CAN write a ticket.
They do not require the use of a decibel meter any more, they can use their own judgement.
In court they may bring up the idea of performance vs. stock replacement.

The law they bring up is "illegal modification to exhaust system to amplify noise".
You can argue that it wasn't to amplify noise, but it still does.
Anyways, performance exhausts are quite different than stock replacements, we all know that.

And because they do not need a decibel meter, you can be written for 'noise pollution' or something.

If you go with some of the GReddy products, you're in better hands

talonXracer
08-01-2011, 05:01 PM
In NY as long as the vehicle is over 8 years old or 80,000 miles a aftermarket exhaust is legal(must have a cat), The muffler can NOT be a direct pass thru, aka fart can, it must be chambered or a loop muffler.

I had been pulled over by this eldery state trooper, he was shocked to see another older established person driving a hopped up car, he was gonna wright a illegal exhaust ticket untill I showed him exactly what a loop muffler was(to him it looked like a fart can), he said cool have a nice day.

whatsvtec
08-01-2011, 09:30 PM
In NY as long as the vehicle is over 8 years old or 80,000 miles a aftermarket exhaust is legal(must have a cat), The muffler can NOT be a direct pass thru, aka fart can, it must be chambered or a loop muffler.

I had been pulled over by this eldery state trooper, he was shocked to see another older established person driving a hopped up car, he was gonna wright a illegal exhaust ticket untill I showed him exactly what a loop muffler was(to him it looked like a fart can), he said cool have a nice day.

I gotta get my hands on a mugen exhaust... :mfrown:
Sounds like the "only" course of action worth taking for our cars. :mwink:

SHG_EasyE
08-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Back in NY (and as importcustomx said in MA) the law was that any modification to the exhaust from stock was illegal, and was grounds for an equiptment violation.

Basically if you get a dick cop, and he feels like writing you, youre gonna get a ticket regardless of the "actual" law. Sure you can contest it in court, but after having to take 2 days off work for court (one to plea, the other to argue your case) youve already lost more money than you would have had to pay for the ticket.

IMO, if youre lucky and live in an area where cops dont give a crap about exhausts (like where I live in MA) then go for it. If youre going to get hassled for it regularly dont bother. Plenty of people sell used stock mufflers. Mate it to an aftermarket bpipe and your golden. Honestly if you have a stock muffler youre much less likely to get nabbed even if its loud. Its the shiny bling that catches their eye, and even if its quiet theyre going to target you.