PDA

View Full Version : Outer steering rod? popped off when turning

n0stra
08-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Unsure what this thing is called in english, so im just guessing outer steering rod (correct me if im wrong). Anyway, for a couple of weeks i noticed that the steering was somewhat off and a rattling noise appeared. I just guessed it was the joint that was shut and thought i would fix it later. Then in a slow moving sharp turn it just fell off. I then ordered a new one and when i lifted up the car and started to change it i also noticed the inner tie rod (i think this is the correct name) on which it had loosed from had gotten its threads damaged. I then ordered a new one and now im uncertain on how to change it.

Does anyone has a writeup or know a DIY/How to? I was hoping this could be done without having to go underneath the car but it seems im out of luck as far as i can understand.

Also changing brakepads and brakediscs (mintex) and brake lines (steel) and putting on castrol DOT4 brake fluid while im at it. The suspension is original besides JDM front swaybar and Spoon progressive springs. Any suggestions for other non-expensive changes i should do while im at it? Also i have to get the car adjusted after this, is there any suggestions on what setting i should choose or just go for 0 degrees?

PatrickJamesYu
08-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Is this CTR?

talonXracer
08-02-2011, 05:35 PM
You need to get a helms manual, it is a complicated and very tight job, you will need to take apart the steering at the center link(you will need new washers and nuts).

n0stra
08-03-2011, 04:20 AM
Yea its a 03 CTR. EDM.

n0stra
08-06-2011, 03:32 AM
Your absolutely right, it was tight as hell to try to change it without making other adjustments. The best idea would be to take out a bigger part of the steering rack all together? Got the Helms, not many illustrations on what to do :) Thanks so far.

ryan02
08-10-2011, 04:40 AM
I was able to replace the inner tie rod with an adjustable wrench stuck behind the block and a pipe on it to get more leverage. I've also used a pipe wrench to get it off. You could probably use a breaker bar w/crows foot too