PDA

View Full Version : 205?

Reaper27
08-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Ok, so I got a set of 17X17.5 wheels and I'm wondering what tire size I would need. Would 205/45/17 work?

usedep3
08-05-2011, 11:09 AM
define work..

they'll fit, but if youre gonna slap on new tires why not get a set of 225's or 215's even

Reaper27
08-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Because the tire places that i've looked at there was a $250+ difference between 205s and 215s. Will 205s not preform as well?

PatrickJamesYu
08-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Well if we're talking the most affordable..

The Sunew YS618 205/45/17 is $54.15 each.
The Maxxis MA-501 215/45/17 is $56.54 each.

Like usedep3 said, "define work"
Sure it'll wrap your wheels..
But it just depends on what you want to do with them.

Getting a wider tire, GENERALLY is better for you
Usedep3 is saying to take advantage since you're in the tire market to go wider while you can.

Reaper27
08-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Wow, that's awesome prices. Where are those? And I've never heard of maxxis before, are they good? I was looking a nittos at a few places and they were wanting outrageous prices for them. $57 per tire is more in my budget haha

PatrickJamesYu
08-06-2011, 03:41 AM
Wow, that's awesome prices. Where are those? And I've never heard of maxxis before, are they good? I was looking a nittos at a few places and they were wanting outrageous prices for them. $57 per tire is more in my budget haha

I gave you models and prices for the MOST budget tire's I can find.

Onlinetires.com
Shipping will rack the price up, but they still seem to be able to offer better prices than many tire shops.
Also consider, the $15 approx. per tire removal/mounting/balance/disposal fees.

As far as the unheard of brands:
Usually the most affordable is Made in China, where labor is cheap.
It's all about quality control though.

Try googling the brand for some reviews..
These budget tires are budget for a reason..

Grip might not be as great, possibly not so great in all seasons, low life span..

The most budget tires I've used were Federals 595's I believe they are called
and Achellis ATR sports
Both tires I actually liked very much
But but times were stretched fitments.

Anyways, I remember reading a while back (also a story was on the news) that
Many Chinese made tires were taken off the US market due to poor quality control
They were malfunctioning.
But they were taken off the market, now I believe they require 'some sort' of insurance or warrantee
I believe Sunny tires used to be 'use at your own risk; sort of thing, but they 'manned up' and now offer a general milage and/or failure warrantee

Don't hold me on the technical info though.

Reaper27
08-06-2011, 03:46 AM
Ok, I was looking up the maxxis and there wasn't a review for the ma-501 but they're other models seemed to get good reviews online. Maybe it's just a newer model, has anyone on here used maxxis brand before?