PDA

View Full Version : Anybody try use oem rear sway bar in front?

udontknowjack
08-05-2011, 12:44 PM
About to try that next week... Em2 tiny fsb still hit header...

Zzyzx
08-05-2011, 01:02 PM
I would be very surprised if it clears the exhaust, let alone lines up with the control arms...

T_Virus
08-05-2011, 01:04 PM
hmm...I don't think that would work..

udontknowjack
08-06-2011, 09:01 AM
I would be very surprised if it clears the exhaust, let alone lines up with the control arms...

3/4 to an inch spacer... Adjustable endlinks I have extra for the rear... It lines up with control arms pretty good... We'll see....

Tnhatch03
08-06-2011, 09:25 AM
i do not recall anyone doing it.

but do it and let everyone know how it goes!

Ba82Ep3
08-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Gotta love doubters that only follow....

Gotta love people that open their mouth before they fail at something...

Dude, i KNOW it wont fit. WHY? I have actually had both swaybars in my hands OFF of the car before. At that point, anyone with sense would know the rear bar wont fit the front.

Pardon me while i still :pound: at you...

So, go buy a Hotchkis rear sway bar, run the OEM front swaybar, and do the rest of your tuning with spring rates and struts. You are going where so many people before you have been... and were just trying to help.

POOPTOOTH
08-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Let me get this straight, you are trying to use your rear sway bar in place of the front strut bar? Hmmm.... Wouldn't that be worse? I mean at least the FSB has that big hump in the middle to allow for the factory header.

Is that even safe? The parts seem to be two completely different designs? Even if it does 'bolt-up', whats it going to do for your handling or lack there of?

I'm not one for knocking a new idea, so please let me know how this works and I'll keep my comments to myself in the mean time.

RedSiBaron
08-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Wow, good luck with this silly endeavor.

What are you trying to accomplish with this? Clearing your header? Put a type r front sway on.

udontknowjack
08-06-2011, 11:40 AM
having all 3 bar laying in front of me....i didnt know how big the ep3 front oem fsb is.... its almost as big as my progress rsb.... and even with the tiny em2 sway bar....it is still close enough to hit the private label header.... then if i run no front i know for sure i'll have way too much rear springs rate/bar to make my car rotate like crazy....

the oem rear is a bit smaller than the oem front.... i do want little more rotate.... so i think the size is perfect... instead of like oem front bar going over top of header.... the oem rear sway bar will go under bottom of the header.... bar is bar....its gonna be safe.... but im gonna have to avoid speed bumps...

hey im just asking if anyone have try....if not...oh well.... it wasnt my idea anyways.... the shop that help me fab up my 3 " exhaust and header brought it up... that tiny em2 will still hit the header and might not do much anyways.... he had a big ass progress rsb for a EG... he line it up...and say it'll work.... but i didnt want that big size for my front sway bar and $260.... thats when i saw my oem rsb laying in my back yard.... we'll see ..... call us stupid, call us dumb.... all i gotta say.... "because race car" ..... its all fun and learning.... if it works great...if it doesnt...oh well

going back next week after he made spacers.... and gonna delete sunroof.... and whatever else im allow to take off

RedSiBaron
08-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Oem front bar is 25mm, type r front bar is 25mm, type r rear bar is 22mm...if you want it to rotate and clear your header, my suggestion is putting a type r front on and upgrading to a larger/stiffer rear bar to compensate for the stiffer front bar than the em2 bar. Personally I don't like a lot of roll in the front but I don't cone dodge, so I don't need the sharper turn in from anything bigger than a 22mm type r rear bar and don't need a small em2 front.

Go ahead and see if it works, but I still think its a rediculous round about solution to a simple problem.

MugenReplica
08-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Last I knew the One Make ITR's ran 25mm front and rear, but it's been awhile since I checked and they are now defunct.

Ba82Ep3
08-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Im all for trying something different. I had an FG2 FSB cut and modified to fit my EP but it was just too damn thick. By the time I tried the EP FSB and Hotchkis RSB combo I stopped looking because I found something I liked.

Spring rates are always gonna be stiffer in the back when compared to the front. I think I settled on 250 front and 650 rear with that swaybar combo. The car wasn't a Porsche like that but the wife didn't mind goin on roadtrips either. With suspension its always a compromise.