PDA

View Full Version : esmm installed now i get torque dampener?

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-06-2011, 01:37 PM
ok so i just installed the front esmm

i didnt install the rear because i heard that adds too much vibrations

right now i think this is about as much vibrations as I can handle lol

i believe they will die down a bit after a day or two or "break in" eventually?

i'm gonna try and grease it better and put a little bit of my leftover sound dampener where i feel vibrations in the cabin and

possibly try and put some sound dampener near the mount bracket( i dont know if this is a good idea??)

overall i'm very satisfied with the front only esmm my car feels great to drive.

should i get a torque dampener also? will it add even more vibrations? i don't know if i can handle anymore :mrolleyes:

Twisted-X
08-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Torque dampener will definitely add vibes to the steering wheel/ dash area. To get the full benefit of the ESMM's you have to install both. The rear one does most of the work because when you accelerate the engine rocks towards the back of the car. I installed the ESMM's and a about a month later the torque dampener, and didn't really notice a difference. :shrug:

I'm on Avid 75 now, and the vibes are about the same (maybe a little bit worse at 2k with a load on the motor).

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-06-2011, 07:24 PM
eh...
the front was torn and was easy to get to so i only did that one.

idk if i want to do the back anymore....and maybe i shouldnt get a torque dampener because i don't want anymore vibes lol

thanks for the input

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-07-2011, 07:02 AM
wait yours is worse at 2k?

i only have problems with vibes at stock idle (750)
if i keep the engine at like 1k or 2k it feels fine

talonXracer
08-07-2011, 08:25 AM
The front mount is the one that takes the most abuse during accel, but the rear isnt far behind. I would install them and leave the engine torque dampers for the ricers.(they make things far worse)

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-07-2011, 11:52 PM
The front mount is the one that takes the most abuse during accel, but the rear isnt far behind. I would install them and leave the engine torque dampers for the ricers.(they make things far worse)

o.O i thought a torque dampener was a legit mod?

care to explain why it is not?

i dont think ill be installing the rear esmm...ill probably stick them on here for sale in case someone wants them.
i can't handle the vibrations with just the front in i can't imagine the rears also

Jmage
08-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Never used a torque damper but by reading many thread about them it will add ALOT of vibration. You're better with ESMM insert in your actual motor mounts than adding a Torque Damper. Or just go the real deal and buy Racing Mount like AVID mounts. Anyway, you'll pay your torque damper how much? 200$? A set of brand new avid mount is less than 300$ and they DOES make a world of a difference!

Btw, anything you'll do to your Mount will add vibration you can't escape that but you'll get used to it and you'll like how you're more "connected" to your car while driving. Everyone that ride in my car complain about the vibration, but I don't give a damn about it loll

gtolio
08-08-2011, 02:34 PM
I've always heard that both mods will help with wheel hop and torque steer. I'm not sure why, but I've heard that to be the case from people that have them. I've had the ESMMs for 4 or 5 years now (never had a torque dampener). Either the vibration has gotten less intense, or I don't notice it as much as I used to. I remember it feeling like a lot when I first got them in.

talonXracer
08-08-2011, 02:48 PM
They do take a few hundred miles to break in.

ESMM's and engine mounts have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with wheel hop, wheel hop is 100% a product of traction loss and weak suspension springs. What most people think is wheel hop is simply the engine rocking back and forth in the weak sauced engine mounts.......

Twisted-X
08-08-2011, 03:55 PM
wait yours is worse at 2k?

i only have problems with vibes at stock idle (750)
if i keep the engine at like 1k or 2k it feels fine
Depending on the load on the engine (how hard I'm accelerating while letting the clutch out) I get some decent vibes in the 2k area with the Avid 75 mounts.

I only said the rear because thats the one that people complain about being torn the most (from what I've read). The rear mount is designed with the bolts running parallel to the downward force applied during acceleration where the front has them perpendicular. I also notice that Avid doesn't offer front mounts... :squint:
(I had to replace the rear mount in my '96 Accord because it fell apart, whereas the front mount has no cracking/distortion what so ever)

makavelibranded
08-08-2011, 03:55 PM
They do take a few hundred miles to break in.

ESMM's and engine mounts have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with wheel hop, wheel hop is 100% a product of traction loss and weak suspension springs. What most people think is wheel hop is simply the engine rocking back and forth in the weak sauced engine mounts.......

yes this,.. I need to take my dampener off and sell it, ive known since the day I got it that it was a usless purchase lol.

gtolio
08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I wonder why the misconception.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-09-2011, 06:55 PM
weird. my rear was fine but my front was torn. the vibes are very minimal with a/c off. i hardly know the difference.

but a/c on is a whole new story lol. i think im gonna just leave it alone. sell the rear esmm to someone on here who wants it.

i dunno why i always thought a torque dampener would help...guess im not getting one anymore. saves me $$ anyways.

T_Virus
08-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Don't get the torque dampener, i went through 1 too...Spoon ETD...wasn't worth it.

bearcat91
08-11-2011, 09:58 PM
I was snooping around engine bay today and i noticed a mount that is easily visible on the tranny side was def shot. Sorry for the noobness but is this one of the tranny mounts? Sounds like a pain to do all the inserts and I don't have the time, would it be ok to just replace the one for now?

gtolio
08-12-2011, 08:20 AM
You could, but if you're going to do one, you might as well do the others at the same time. Save yourself a bunch of work later.