PDA

View Full Version : answers and opinions??

2003_ep3
08-07-2011, 12:18 AM
hey all,

quick questoin about intakes. we all know they all come in all shapes in sizes, but my question is about the filters. does anyone know which filters have the best gains and which produce more noise? may sound like a stupid question but im kinda of curious.

i had a 93 eg hatch with a b18c1, itr headers and a ebay short ram intake with a cone intake with the inverted tip. and that was the best sounding intake ive heard in my life!! throughout the whole rpm range that thing whistled/whined like i was on 19lbs of boost! i loved it.

now i have my ep3 with race headers, with no cats/resonators, megan racing muffler and a short ram intake of some kind with the inverted tip as well and you cant hear anything from it:( it looks kind of old and pretty filthy so im prob going to buy just a fujita intake filter or weapon r filter to replace it

so my question is, do any one you ep3 owners have the whistling/whinning sound i mentioned? i would do anything to have that sound again. haha. and do you think a closed tip filter would sound better?

thanks for the help in advance. all answers and opinions are welcome:mbiggrin:

apexracing
08-08-2011, 07:39 AM
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j322/Apexep3si/facepalm.jpg

just turbo your car lol.

2003_ep3
08-08-2011, 11:12 AM
its not your car. you dont have to worry how dumb it is or isnt. you dont make the payments. everyone has there own preferences for there car. i know there is no performance aspect that comes from it. i just think it sounds good. isnt that why everyone puts mufflers on their cars?? the hp gain is minimal so the only real thing we all do it for is the sound. same thing im going after here. its an honest question, i didnt know if it had to do with an open or closed filter.

apexracing
08-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Come on man take a joke. Try the k&n filter mine sounds pretty good. But I actually got a exhaust because it's stainless and for performance. I got the tanabe medallion touring exhaust just because it was going to be quieter. But seriously the k&n filters are legit.

Edit: your avatar makes me want to change my tails back to 02-03 style lol.

02TWSI
08-08-2011, 11:25 AM
The whistling you're referring to was a design thing for b18s with certain intake setups. My friends 98 jdm itr swap whistles a ton with his velocity stack.

2003_ep3
08-08-2011, 12:53 PM
apex racing:im not good at taking jokes. ive been picked on too much:( lol. i was thinking about k&n filters, just wish i had the money for them. the apollo design filter looks pretty interesting. just cant find the filter by itself or i would get it. i just cant grasp the concept of why our intakes sit right next to our header. that just bewilders me. i have header wrap on my racing header but im sure a lot of heat still gets sucked into the intake. i might try and rig up an aluminum heat shield. and ive always prefered these tails over the newer ones, they just look like there made to go with it. the new ones just seem out of place.

02twsi: i figured it had something to do with the motor rather then the intake:( i loved the motor more then anything, the torque was pretty fun in the. just not in the rain. i couldnt ever move.! except it liked to eat every distributor i put in it.

PatrickJamesYu
08-08-2011, 12:57 PM
apex racing:im not good at taking jokes. ive been picked on too much:( lol. i was thinking about k&n filters, just wish i had the money for them. the apollo design filter looks pretty interesting. just cant find the filter by itself or i would get it. i just cant grasp the concept of why our intakes sit right next to our header. that just bewilders me. i have header wrap on my racing header but im sure a lot of heat still gets sucked into the intake. i might try and rig up an aluminum heat shield. and ive always prefered these tails over the newer ones, they just look like there made to go with it. the new ones just seem out of place.

02twsi: i figured it had something to do with the motor rather then the intake:( i loved the motor more then anything, the torque was pretty fun in the. just not in the rain. i couldnt ever move.! except it liked to eat every distributor i put in it.

I made a heatsheild for that very reason
The whole intake by the headers thing.

gtolio
08-08-2011, 01:34 PM
The only inlets i have seen make noticeable power over other types are velocity stacks (i.e. like this http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/7928/dsc02185o.jpg)

Obviously, you have to be careful where you run that type of setup since it's not filtering anything, but I know people that daily drive them almost year round in colorado.

The best ones I've seen are from Vibrant - http://www.vibrantperformance.com/pressrelease23.php

I think Corsport sells them.

2003_ep3
08-08-2011, 02:01 PM
gtolio: i was thinking about that. i just checked corsport and they have them and also said the vibrant air filter(part#10960) will fit over the velocity stack. how would that work out? it doesnt seem right.

and do you think it would be ok to run on our type of setup? i dont think much dirt or debris will get up behind the engine. and just to be safe i would probably put a piece of screen mesh or two around the intake pipe then fit the velocity stack over the top of that. i think that should filter out most of anything and it wouldnt seem to restrictive. thanks for tall the help guys! i knew i could count on you

Jmage
08-08-2011, 02:06 PM
I guess the sound it will produce depend on the engine. I had a Toyota Paseo with an Ebay SRI and it sounded beastly!! Now I got the AEM v2 on the EP3 and for a 300$ SRI I'm really disapointed over the sound my Paseo has.

02TWSI
08-08-2011, 02:34 PM
This is what my friend runs on his itr EF, note how the filter goes over the stack opening.
http://www.bpinitiatives.com/filterkits.php#asm30601

bizzle
08-08-2011, 04:46 PM
ep3 swag?

2003_ep3
08-08-2011, 05:40 PM
i wouldnt mind the bpi one, but they dont sell a 2.5in set up:( and now i see how the filter setup actually works. i think i will just run it open for a while without the filter.

the only thing im worried about now is finding an intake shield. anyone know where i can pick one up???