PDA

View Full Version : O2 Sensor Accuracy?

AKEP
08-08-2011, 03:37 AM
Concerning the rsx-s, ep3 and the Bosch 13680 (wideband?) how accurate are these? my tuner refuses to go off the bosch that i have, because he says stocks ones read .4 lower than a real wideband. e.g. when his wideband says 12.1, stock would see 11.7. The reason its an issue is a long story but i only have 1 o2 bung on the pipe right now. so i can't use his wideband.

why i'm concerned is that i was looking at a datalog and noticed that when my bosch reads 12.1, i have all 6 psi, but when its reading 11.x or anything above 12.1 the boost drops to 4psi. also on the dyno graph the tq falls off where i have a lean spot. could this be the reason why my tq falls from 220-170 (at that same rpm) and the boost drops a couple psi?

Ba82Ep3
08-08-2011, 05:30 AM
IMO, Bosch o2's are junk period. For moms Taurus and pops F150 theyre great. I think the difference he sees is more in equipment than a sensor. Kinda like trying to compare two different dyno results... the greater variance is the equipment used for testing.

It would do you well to have a secondary welded in, so he can use his. It would also give you more data to better tune your shizz. It might not hurt to go ahead and change yours out... that sensor is very important for the life of your setup.

AKEP
08-08-2011, 06:10 AM
its came recommended from someone else on here, its supposed to be more accurate than the oem plug along with oe connector. it was also pretty spendy, not the typical $40 bosch price. so far, i've seen another k series on the dyno and i've seen the .4 lower he was talking about.

I've been trying to get the shop to weld in the other o2 but its just kinda on the back burner since i've been real busy. for example, i did the datalog like 5 days ago just to look at it now lol.

either way im going to wait for this o2 to take a shit before i replace it. i guess i'll just have to see how far off it is, if any, when i get the other o2 bung installed. i've already made the changes to fuel to my likings so i'll load it back up and see how it feels. its already tuned (minus lean spot) so if it does fail anytime soon its all good.

Ba82Ep3
08-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Hmmm. Do ya remember the part number for the Bosch o2? It might be different from the one i used before...

AKEP
08-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Bosch 13680 is the p/n

i can't agree with you on bosch being crap o2's, since porche and vw use the same widebands that innovate uses in its kits, stock.

plus the aem uego and autometer widebands use them too, difference widebands, different part numbers, all bosch. they kind of have the monopoly in the wideband niche.

the Bosch 13680 is more then the denso on amazon, by like $17. $112 for it. I'm getting the bung welded in tonight, i'll see it in the morning running with a dynojet innovate wideband next to it, i'll let you guys know how accurate it really is. i'm hoping its as good or damn close as the innovate.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8045/o2sensors.jpg
This, if anything, shows that it IS a wideband, and not just a universal o2 with oe plug. the universal replacements were about $35-$48. i mean, it even shows you those universal ones, the first hit on amazon says $43 for that part number.

also, the innovate wideband lsu4.2 (also aem and autometer from earlier) is cross referenced to bosch pn 17014 - $50. and everyone on the internetz is sayings its the greatest thing.

[/tangent]

let you guys know how it goes in the morning.

AKEP
08-22-2011, 12:50 AM
kind of a bump, my wideband is taking longer than expected to get here. i just got alllllllllllllllllllllllll my exhaust done, all new gaskets, welding, everything. just need to plug in that wideband sensor.

just curious, for anyone out there with a wideband gauge installed, where did u run the wires?

Ba82Ep3
08-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Sweet. In for info. : )

Where i used to work we had more Bosch sensors come back as failures more than any others we sold. Oddly enough we sold mostly Bosch. A good friend of mine is a Benz tech and swears by Bosch. I just shake my head at him... lol I wasnt tryna challenge ya in any way... just sharing my personal experience. : )

Bosch +2 though +4 plugs suck for aftermarket use. I tried them in my SC'd setup mainly because i couldnt get my hands on any IK's or NGK's in time. They did really well at first... great gas mileage too. Around the 1k mark they went to shit. I went from 32-35mpg to low 20's. I dropped in another set of Bosch and same thing. Ordered up some NGK's... no problem.

:shrug:

AKEP
08-22-2011, 03:35 AM
maybe its the boosted heat? something we have in common! if this one fails then fuck'em i'll go back to NGK too. if not i hope they're as accurate as the vw wideband.

talonXracer
08-22-2011, 09:48 AM
You will NEVER find two o2 sensors that read identicle other than a complete coincidence.

Your tuner is a complete tool if he can not figure out the very simple workaround, his wideband o2 sensor SHOULD be adjustable/tuneable so that he can match what the vehicles sensor sees and then that variation taken into account when setting the A/F tables.

AKEP
08-23-2011, 05:16 AM
i know but if it at least was readinging close to .1 or .2 it would be legit. but, comparing this picture to what i saw on my last o2 (oem) its not anymore accurate than the stock one. they're both off by .4 - .5.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6979/img0613kd.jpg

talonXracer
08-23-2011, 09:34 AM
It does NOT matter squat that the sensor is not spot on, if it did then no ones engine/ECU/sensors would be able to be tuned. I have NEVER used the dyno's wideband to tune, only to verify the gap between the two.

Maybe the tuners wideband is not calibrated correctly.

AKEP
08-23-2011, 02:21 PM
It does NOT matter squat that the sensor is not spot on, if it did then no ones engine/ECU/sensors would be able to be tuned.
...what?

I have NEVER used the dyno's wideband to tune, only to verify the gap between the two.

We didn't use the handheld to tune, we used it to verify that we were at least seeing 12.1 afr's, assuming its calibrated correctly. at all rpms we saw 11.6 on kpro and 12.1 on the handheld. better rich than sorry.

i doubt it, its just the uego/lsu 4.2 wideband that all the kits use, just handheld.
i mean, i can double check the handheld settings but im sure its calibrated correctly.

i had actually grabed an "old" wideband sensor they had and installed it, then they told me it was no good, and put in a known good wideband.

talonXracer
08-23-2011, 04:46 PM
There is a screen to "adjust" the o2 sensors output to A/F readings, on the top header in Kmngr select the "options" tab, then select "settings", then hit "Wideband input" and make the corrections required.

AKEP
08-23-2011, 05:14 PM
you're talking about if i have the wideband wired into the car, right?

talonXracer
08-23-2011, 06:09 PM
The stock o2 sensor is a wideband.

It is to adjust the vehicles o2 sensors output to read correctly, just like how Kpro is used to electronically center the TPS rather than move it manually.

To calibrate a wideband takes very specialized calibration equipment(ie very expensive). Most calibration shops will apply a sticker with the date of calibration and a expiration date on the controller, very few tuners will pay to have their stuff calibrated, they rely upon the manufacturers word. Again it doesnt matter if it is a uego or a factory wideband o2 sensor they all read slightly different and will change their output as they are used and age.