PDA

View Full Version : help with fuel gauge / mileage

Domo-kun
08-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Hi guys,

My EP3 is acting funny lately. The fuel gauge has become COMPLETELY unreliable recently, like varying by 1/4 tank or more. It's sorta like how being on a hill/slant can mess with it, only a hundred times worse. Over the course of a 15-mile drive, I can watch it drop by more than 1/4 tank. I've even watched it move back up. It changes fast (relatively speaking) and dramatically.

As for mileage itself, I used to always get an easy 300 miles or more out of a tank, like clockwork. Now it can hit halfway at barely 100 miles, and be at the E after 270, 250, sometimes just 230 miles. I've never run it dry, so I can't be certain how accurate that is. Plus, when I started calculating the mpg at the pump recently (the proper way), I'm still averaging around 29-30 mpg (although it may be dropping - not sure yet). But that still makes me think the gauge itself is the problem, and not something in the fuel system. Is that even possible? Do gauges go bad?

I have 124K miles, all stock except a K&N intake. New O2 sensor, new cat, fresh oil, always good gas, proper tire pressure, no funny sounds or smells, no codes or check engine lights, and the car feels fine to me.

Still, it's unbelievable stressful driving around staring at the gauge, uncertain of your own gas tank, where next thing you know...bam, it's on a free-fall to empty. I drive this thing a lot, and depend on it heavily.

Can anyone provide any insight, advice or suggestions? Any normal stuff I should do? Spark plugs? Fuel filter? That sort of thing? I've talked to two mechanics now, both sounded confused as to what to recommend.

Thanks everyone!

gtolio
08-08-2011, 10:17 PM
My fuel gauge in my Subaru does weird things like that. It would take forever to go all the way up and then drop quicker than I knew it should. I noticed that it happened more when I had the car running during fueling. Not sure if you're doing that or not, but worth checking.

Domo-kun
08-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I noticed that it happened more when I had the car running during fueling. Not sure if you're doing that or not, but worth checking.

Thanks for the fast reply. I never run the car while it's fueling, so that's not it.

I suppose it's worth clarifying that nothing has changed on my end - no new gas stations, routes, tires, driving behavior, weather, etc. All I know is that within the past several months, my fuel gauge has just become comically (and stressfully) useless.

gtolio
08-08-2011, 10:28 PM
In that case I would go after the gauge. See if you can find a working one and change them out.

nletourneau1
09-05-2011, 07:28 AM
It is probably the fuel pump unit. I was having the same issues with mine. It eventualy stopped working and stayed at empty. I am a certified mechanic and proceded to run through the diagnostics of a inop fuel gauge. I ended up getting to pulling out the fuel pump and sending unit to check the fuel gauge sending unit, and to my surprise the fuel pump assembly was broken! It comes in 2 pieces. The top half attaches to the bottom half which has the pump and gauge unit. It clips together so that it can pivot when it is put in the tank. One of the clips had snapped causing the lower half of the unit to fall to the bottom of the tank and as it moved around it woyuld cause my gauge to read inaccuratly. I super glued it back together as a new unit costs $350 canadian. I will responed in 1 week if this repair holds up to daily driving.

Neil