PDA

View Full Version : t51 turbo too small for a k24a2?

dink32788
08-09-2011, 02:49 PM
I did a k24a2 swap into my ep3 and now im kinda bored with the power. a friend of mine is parting out his turbo'd ep3 and wants me to buy his greddy turbo kit. Im just kinda worried that i wouldnt make much power with the turbo the kit came with. Anyone have any idea if its too small or what kind of power i'd make on the stock 2005 k24a2? Thanks for the input, never boosted anything before so im kinda clueless on this.

heyvortek
08-10-2011, 08:18 AM
how much power u looking for? a greddy kit wont pump out 300whp. it will spool very quick. sidewinders are the way to go. more expensive but more efficient and you should get a new turbo charger. i have a extra sidewinder mani if ur interested. pm me

mitchlikesbikes
08-10-2011, 12:15 PM
odds are after buying the kit, you'll want even MORE power, and that's where it becomes a problem since the manifold isn't compatible with very many turbos. i think it would be fairly easy to switch to a treadstone log mani and a new turbo without changing much, but i'm not sure. unless you're shooting for 350-400hp and beyond, the sidewinder isn't really necessary and would take a shit ton of money/work to get everything built around it.

dink32788
08-12-2011, 12:09 AM
i was hoping for 350-400 if i boost. anything under that just doesnt seem worth it. so u dont think the greddy kit would get near that even with the k24a2? i might just wait and find a good deal over winter on a fullrace kit. ill pm u about that manifold

j0000stin
08-12-2011, 01:16 AM
i was hoping for 350-400 if i boost. anything under that just doesnt seem worth it. so u dont think the greddy kit would get near that even with the k24a2? i might just wait and find a good deal over winter on a fullrace kit. ill pm u about that manifold

T51 won't reach tour goals. It'll make 300whp with around 12psi and full 3in turbo back.

But for 350-400 you'd be looking at a full race setup. I'm getting tired of my k24 also haha

mitchlikesbikes
08-12-2011, 01:17 AM
The biggest thing is if you're going above 300ish you have to do a lot of other shit outside of just the better turbo kit itself. Fuel setup, LSD, monster tires, etc. Basically what I'm saying is if you go full race or something similar, you gotta go all out to get the best results out of the bigger better turbo/kit. there are Also more options than full race as far as sidewinders and other tubular manifolds. Full race may not even be the best but it's definitely close to the top.

j0000stin
08-12-2011, 01:22 AM
The biggest thing is if you're going above 300ish you have to do a lot of other shit outside of just the better turbo kit itself. Fuel setup, LSD, monster tires, etc. Basically what I'm saying is if you go full race or something similar, you gotta go all out to get the best results out of the bigger better turbo/kit. there are Also more options than full race as far as sidewinders and other tubular manifolds. Full race may not even be the best but it's definitely close to the top.

He doesn't need tired and LSD to make more power haha. It just helps put it to the ground. I say piece together a kit, shit you can get an emusa kit and make decent power just get a big ass turbo and a good tune

mitchlikesbikes
08-12-2011, 01:27 AM
He doesn't need tired and LSD to make more power haha. It just helps put it to the ground. I say piece together a kit, shit you can get an emusa kit and make decent power just get a big ass turbo and a good tune

Well yeah that's what I meant haha:) but yeah you can always just start on the emusa kit and upgrade as you go instead of dropping 4k+ on a full race kit right off the bat.

j0000stin
08-12-2011, 01:39 AM
Well yeah that's what I meant haha:) but yeah you can always just start on the emusa kit and upgrade as you go instead of dropping 4k+ on a full race kit right off the bat.

4gs is a lot of money hahaha. I could net 400 easy with that amount of money haha.

Op Id get your friends greddy, hit up atp turbo in fremont , ca they have a gt30 in gt28 housing which bolts right up to the greddy manifold and ep which would net you the power you want easily

sleepy ep3
08-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Don't waste your time, buy the full race kit. If I had to do it all again, that's what I would have done. You will spend money here and there either replacing bad stuff or upgrading later, so it's worth it to just buy it once and have really good parts. Plus the kit is good for 500+ hp

gtolio
08-12-2011, 08:29 AM
A greddy kit will make 300 with the right supporting mods on a k24. Maybe not on a k20a3, but you should have no problem doing it on a k24. Shit, you can make more than 300 on a k24 with a jrsc. This guy is making almost 300 on an a3: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?65101-Puerto-Rico-EP

The price of a Full Race kit is a LOT different than a Greddy Kit. Of course it's going to make more power. It's also probably twice the price.

You can always upgrade turbos later on. Just see how you do with that kit and how you like it and go from there.

sleepy ep3
08-12-2011, 10:18 AM
A greddy kit will make 300 with the right supporting mods on a k24. Maybe not on a k20a3, but you should have no problem doing it on a k24. Shit, you can make more than 300 on a k24 with a jrsc. This guy is making almost 300 on an a3: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?65101-Puerto-Rico-EP

The price of a Full Race kit is a LOT different than a Greddy Kit. Of course it's going to make more power. It's also probably twice the price.

You can always upgrade turbos later on. Just see how you do with that kit and how you like it and go from there.
This is what I mean. Save your money, buy the better kit. You will have great products right from the beginning, and if you want to turn up the power later, it's easy, no new turbo, no manifold change, nothing. Once you get used to the power the greddy kit can put out, you will want to upgrade anyway, so just save the headache and buy the best. Just listen to someone that has went through 3 turbo builds, and found out the hard way. Trust me, the full race kit is a better way to go than the greddy. If you upgrade the turbo and all that shit later, you will be at what the full race kit costs anyway.

gtolio
08-12-2011, 10:53 AM
I dunno. Everybody seems to be concerned with making 500 horse these days. I think it's kind of useless because most of the time your power band sucks with the size of turbo you have to run to get there, and you're not going to put that power down anyways most of the time. I say if you're going to build some all out drag car, then go ahead and buy some expensive kit, but if you're just going to drive it on the street, it may not be worth it.

dink32788
08-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I already have decent tires (dunlop direzza z1 star specs, and a set of slicks)... already have an LSD laying around ready to go in the tranny when i go boost. already ahve a stage 2 clutch in there which i may upgrade when i tear it all down. After ready everyone's opinions i think im just gonna try to get a gt30 fullrace kit. Ill easily make the numbers i want and can easily upgrade when i get bored with that power so i think its the best route for me. Come winter time its gonna be go go go time.

sleepy ep3
08-12-2011, 03:18 PM
I already have decent tires (dunlop direzza z1 star specs, and a set of slicks)... already have an LSD laying around ready to go in the tranny when i go boost. already ahve a stage 2 clutch in there which i may upgrade when i tear it all down. After ready everyone's opinions i think im just gonna try to get a gt30 fullrace kit. Ill easily make the numbers i want and can easily upgrade when i get bored with that power so i think its the best route for me. Come winter time its gonna be go go go time.

Great idea. If it's the same price, or even close, I would get the gt35 kit. People always worry about spooling the turbo, but it's not as big of a problem with the k24. Bigger displacement helps quite a bit. I'm glad you are not a conformist. Congratulations.

gtolio
08-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Yeah fuck it. Just put this kit on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddHH8Mv1RA8

You could always turn up the boost if you want more power....

:mangel:

j0000stin
08-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Yeah 500hp is a lot. I mean everyone on here has aspirations to be like guardian haha. I, myself would he content with 350

gtolio
08-13-2011, 12:17 AM
I'm happy at 322 and have been for a few years now. A friend of mine has a built k24 with a full race kit that made 575whp on one of his tunes. The car has gone through 3 or 4 different motors with things breaking and been down the vast majority of the time. Part of it was shitty luck, but part of it was just the fact that motors aren't designed to take that kind of abuse for sustained periods of time.

gtimportfanatic
08-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Yeah 500hp is a lot. I mean everyone on here has aspirations to be like guardian haha. I, myself would he content with 350

i like this.. lol

WPB EP3
08-23-2011, 11:58 AM
FR GT30r kit for an ultra responsive 350-400whp