PDA

View Full Version : What suspension should i get?

GoldMember
08-11-2011, 01:15 PM
i have tein flex with edfc...1 strut is blown. i want to take these off and sell them once i have a new set...i was thinking racland coilovers...but with shipping and tophats it'll cost around $430.00....what other options are good for me out there for a considerable price.

I have greddy turbo kit and 17 inch gram lights, carbon fiber trunk and hood, with a d3 double x brace.

tinman5
08-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Ummm...what's wrong with the flex that you want to downgrade to race land? I'm running the super street with camber plates myself. When it is finally time for an overhaul, I will be getting mine revalved around a firmer spring.

Hell, all three of my cars roll on tein.

PatrickJamesYu
08-11-2011, 01:59 PM
with the kind of mods you're running and the brands, I'd get something a bit more reputable over Raceland.
You were on Teins, I'd rebuild that.

BUT look into Function and Form
Megan
Both on the more economic end after Raceland

GoldMember
08-11-2011, 02:06 PM
i've never been happy with my teins...it was just always so bouncy to me. As far as turnaround time to rebuild my tein strut it is 1 month. a month that i do not have, for this is my only car. i'm thinking...to get the racelands..use them up while i have the teins rebuilt...or just sell it off?

jofus228
08-11-2011, 03:15 PM
That's not a bad idea either, and you can have them revalved like Tinman5 is planning to do. But if you are looking for something different I would suggest the BC N+ coilovers.

tinman5
08-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Bouncy? Seriously, you will HATE the race lands. If the civic applications are anything like the vw applications, you will kick your own arse. Don't get me wrong, the race lands are not bouncy, but they are not well damped. They go lower than anything this side of B&G coils. I'm not speaking third person either. I own a set that I used while waiting for my Teins to be made up for my GTI. For the three bills I paid for them, I was rather surprised at how well they drive. Slow bumps are very hard, and they keep settling literally for weeks.

That's the beauty of the Teins. if you have the coin and genuinely know what youre talking about, they can be custom configured howsoever you choose. My only issue with the ep3 super streets is they are a tad on the soft side. Excellent on the street, but the fronts could stand to be firmer for serious driving. That's my humble uneducated opinion.

MadLorEP3
08-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Save up for progress coilovers...Ride is smooth and handling is great...don't cheap out when it comes to your suspension bro...

hyu
08-12-2011, 12:03 AM
How do you have good parts and cheapout on some bullshit suspension? Progressive, Buddy Club N+, or BC coilovers. I spent about 950+ on my suspension and waited 3 weeks. So far it's the best mod I have on the car

.colin
08-12-2011, 04:57 AM
If you don't need coilovers, maybe look into a good spring / strut setup or pick up a used set of the Mugen SS.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-12-2011, 07:36 AM
i'd recommend a-spec but i doubt it will be low enough for you.

mugen ss like .colin recommended is similar to a-spec except its a bit stiffer and it does drop the car about a half inch lower than a-spec.

MugenReplica
08-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Comdrive Ex-Motion Athlete Orange coilovers.

PatrickJamesYu
08-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Everyone tells you the same things
I'll say different.
It's your car, not mine.
Cheap-out on your suspension

:)

gtolio
08-12-2011, 09:03 AM
I've had the Tein Basics for years and I love them. Good combination of street and track characteristics. Obviously you don't have as many options without camber plates and dampening adjustability, but honestly, I can say that even if I did, I'd probably want them set up just as they are now.

iDom
08-12-2011, 09:07 AM
In case you aren't aware of this option.. You could go with this, too.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?59257-DIY-A-Spec-Suspension-on-ep3

gtolio
08-12-2011, 09:41 AM
If I was going to spend $750 on a suspension, it wouldn't be for something that close to stock. Just my $0.02 though.

jed_averill
08-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Just get the damn Racelands if you ain't racing.

gtolio
08-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Just get the damn Racelands if you ain't racing.

lol. the "nonrace"lands.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-12-2011, 10:39 PM
lol. the "nonrace"lands.

:tehehyper:

iDom
08-14-2011, 11:48 AM
If I was going to spend $750 on a suspension, it wouldn't be for something that close to stock. Just my $0.02 though.

There's nothing like OEM goodness. And most the time people with $1,500 coilovers have them set up for looks and leave the car worse off than if the shit was stock anyway. Depends what you're going for I guess.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-14-2011, 04:05 PM
There's nothing like OEM goodness. And most the time people with $1,500 coilovers have them set up for looks and leave the car worse off than if the shit was stock anyway. Depends what you're going for I guess.

yepp like i said earlier...

if you want a good ride get a-spec or hfp. it just won't be that low.

mugen ss i hear is similar except it lowers the car lower so maybe thatll satisfy your need for a "low" ish car.

if not that then progress coilovers or something else but above all else... don't get racelands seriously.

gtolio
08-15-2011, 08:32 AM
A-Spec and HFP are just not going to cut it at the track. If you want a nice ride, then yes.

If you don't know how to set up your suspension for the best performance for what you want to do, then you should have someone who is qualified install it and set it up.

Zzyzx
08-15-2011, 09:35 AM
A-Spec and HFP are just not going to cut it at the track. If you want a nice ride, then yes.

If you don't know how to set up your suspension for the best performance for what you want to do, then you should have someone who is qualified install it and set it up.

Even the stock suspension is fine out on track, so the A-Spec or HFP setup would haply survive track days & autocrosses. They may not be "optimum" but you can have a very fun and well handling car if properly tuned with them.

hyu
08-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Even the stock suspension is fine out on track, so the A-Spec or HFP setup would haply survive track days & autocrosses. They may not be "optimum" but you can have a very fun and well handling car if properly tuned with them.
I had fun with my blown front suspension at the track =p. I even placed 5th out of like 20+ cars. I finally decided to upgrade though

gtolio
08-15-2011, 09:46 AM
I had fun with my blown front suspension at the track =p. I even placed 5th out of like 20+ cars. I finally decided to upgrade though

You can track anything. I'm just saying, it's not ideal, and for $750 you can get something that is ideal. If you want a soft comfortable ride, stick with stock or get the HFPs or A-Specs, I guess.

That's just a waste of money over stock, IMO.

Zzyzx
08-15-2011, 11:04 AM
^^ that really depends on what tire the person is running. As needlessly over-stiffening the suspension when the tires dont call for it is just reducing grip...

Edit: stupid auto spell...

gtolio
08-15-2011, 11:11 AM
^^ that really depends on what tire the person is running. As needlessly overstating the suspicion when the tires dont call for it is just reducing grip...

This goes back to my earlier point:

If you upgrade your suspension without changing tires, you don't know how to set up your suspension.

Zzyzx
08-22-2011, 01:18 PM
If you upgrade your suspension without changing tires, you don't know how to set up your suspension.

You tune your suspension with what ever tires you have in mind. That's the point of suspension tuning after all; to get the most out of your chosen tires.

So if someone decides to keep the OEM all season tires, well then they can still optimize their suspension and alignment to get the most out of those tires.

gtolio
08-22-2011, 01:31 PM
You tune your suspension with what ever tires you have in mind. That's the point of suspension tuning after all; to get the most out of your chosen tires.

So if someone decides to keep the OEM all season tires, well then they can still optimize their suspension and alignment to get the most out of those tires.

Let's be serious. You can't run all seasons and be THAT concerned with handling. Maybe you'd like it to handle better with those tires, but it isn't your first priority if you're not willing to sacrifice other things (i.e. harsh weather driving).

Zzyzx
08-22-2011, 01:35 PM
I think you'd be surprised what you can accomplish with proper tuning, even with all season tires.

You may never put down record laps, but you can easily make a very fun driving car.

gtolio
08-22-2011, 01:46 PM
I think you'd be surprised what you can accomplish with proper tuning, even with all season tires.

You may never put down record laps, but you can easily make a very fun driving car.

I'm well aware of what can be done on all season tires. My point is that when owning and building a car, one should be aware of their priorities and should be realistic about what limitations those priorities bring. Knowing these things reduces the chance that someone will be disappointed with the modifications they do to their car.

For instance, if your priority is to be able to drive your car in all seasons, you should know that you're not going to be able to make the car perform as well as it could with full summer tires on dry warm pavement. You are giving up some performance for driveability in different conditions.

On the other hand, if you run summer tires, your car will be able to perform better in dry warm conditions, but you trade off some of the driveability of all season tires.

iDom
08-23-2011, 07:52 PM
It really does depend on what you're trying to do though.. I mean.. To need a suspension upgrade, one must have the current suspension be the limiting factor in faster track times.. In order to do that, you will need to be one HELL of a driver. So, yes of course A-Spec/HFP is not the same caliber as some of the more expensive ones, but they will more than suffice for an occasional track day or autoX trip. You don't gotta have the fastest, best car in the world, you just gotta be the best driver at that track on that given day. And personally, for OEM goodness, I don't think 750 is that bad.. It will last too. Unlike some bro's TEIN's that are set so low they need to replace their shit every year or two.

gtolio
08-23-2011, 10:03 PM
I've been running on the same "bro's" Teins for the past 6 years. Not an issue in sight. :smile: