PDA

View Full Version : Clutch replacement, help needed

hueyhy
08-13-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm driving a 03 ep3 with 118k miles. recently the clutch has some problem so I decided to replace the clutch and also by doing this I can exam and replace/fix the throwout bearing, the fork and so on.

I searched online, but could not find a complete write-up/tutorial for doing this. I found some for DC5, and some for 6th gen civic, and another for 7th gen civic but non-Si.
How different is EP3 from DC5, on the tranny removing task?

Here I have some confusion that need help from someone with some experience or knowledge on this work.

For now my understanding of this work is :
1. remove the axle from the tranny . to do this, need to remove the wheel, and then pull the hub away from the axle, then pry the axle out of the tranny.
2. unscrew the bolts that holds the tranny, when the tranny can move, pull it away from the engine.
(to get the tranny out, the subframe need to be removed first)

Here's some of my questions:
1.Is the number and position of the bolts in removing the subframe and the tranny listed/shown in the DC5 tutorial the same on EP3?

2. do I HAVE to remove the hub or even wheel, then pull the axle out from the tranny? Do I have to remove both wheels? (I guess only one side is needed, but which side? I cannot find a picture showing the whole structure of the powertrain.)

3. I see from the service manual, there's a "Intermediate shaft" between the driveshaft and the tranny. for removing the tranny, that manual says you need to remove the "intermediate shaft", but I did not see those steps in the DC5 write up. In this one he didn't even mentioned removing wheels or shaft.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=538537

I'm going to the DIY garage to rent a place, they have car lift, and air tools. So there should have everything. But I just unsure about the correct steps. since there's no one write-up about EP3. and the steps in the service manual is not very clear either.

any help is appreciated.

Ba82Ep3
08-13-2011, 10:06 PM
A DC5 tranny is a direct fit on the EP's engine. What you see in the DC5 writeup should be close enough to get the job done (compare to actual manual).

On a lift you can do a clutch swap fairly quickly. The sub frame doesnt need to be dropped, but it can help to do so. You can leave the intermediate shaft (half shaft) attached ONLY if you have enough room to freely pull the trans away from the engine. In my experience, you dont have that room with the subframe in place and the engine in the engine bay. The trans will bump into the frame rail (where the trans mount attaches).

Since you have a lift, i would use it to the fullest.

I would pull all four tires off the car.

Drop the EX manifold.

Disconnect the wiring harness from the ECU and pull it thru the firewall.

Disconnect the power wire from the fuse box/battery and all clips.

Disconnect all cables (keep TB cables on the bracket, remove the bracket from the TB so you dont have to reset them), all hoses, all lines, etc.

Remove the four bolts holding the subframe to the chassis (mark them according to the manual so you dont lose your alignment).

Sit the car down, supporting the subframe on two 4x4 pieces of wood.

Remove the strut pinch bolts.

Remove the two castle nuts on the steering tie rods, make sure the balljoints are free.

Remove the passenger and driver side engine/trans mounts.

Have a friend support each wheel hub and watch to be sure all lines are free in each wheel well.

Have a friend operate the lift up SLOWLY as you watch the engine bay to be sure all lines are free.

You will have the engine/trans supported by the front and rear mounts on the subframe with the front lower control arms and hubs... sitting on the 4x4's with your EP in the air. Enjoy freedom to move around the trans and do as you wish with little restriction.

Yes you will need to bleed your brakes. Yes you will need antifreeze. (all that stuff prolly needs to be done anyways as regular maintenance) Yes you will need the help of three friends. But if you think it through and come prepared you can knock that clutch job out fast. Ive done it on a lift with help in 3 hours... including brake bleeding (all 4 wheels) and burping the cooling system. :mwink: