PDA

View Full Version : Shifting into reverse while moving,

cole7117
08-14-2011, 12:00 AM
If i am rolling backwards or something, and i put the clutch down and go to shift into reverse my car makes a huge clunk noise. Is this normal?

mitchlikesbikes
08-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Mine does it and I've got a mint 60k tranny so it's normal I think. as far as I know that's just how reverse is in any car but idk

Ba82Ep3
08-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Yes. Reverse gear is straight cut with no synchronizers to assist engagement. Its best to STOP before shifting into reverse.

cole7117
08-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Yes. Reverse gear is straight cut with no synchronizers to assist engagement. Its best to STOP before shifting into reverse.

Lol yeah not doing that again.

bearcat91
08-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Bout to show the nerd in me....any one see the mythbusters when the tried to stop faster by putting the car in reverse on both auto and stick? Didn't work so well lol

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-14-2011, 02:56 AM
yeah the first time i ever did that...i realized i grinded gears and i never did it again...

seems odd that reverse wouldnt have a syncro at all...

it would only make sense that it should work the same way as 1st gear but backwards. but it doesnt.

AKAahlecks
08-14-2011, 04:20 AM
oh so thats why reverse whines. but in an automatic it doesnt?

talonXracer
08-14-2011, 07:02 AM
oh so thats why reverse whines. but in an automatic it doesnt?

Correct the straight cut gears used on the reverse gear will whine like a bitch, a auto trans is an entirely different animal.

yeah the first time i ever did that...i realized i grinded gears and i never did it again...

seems odd that reverse wouldnt have a syncro at all...

it would only make sense that it should work the same way as 1st gear but backwards. but it doesnt.

Reverse gear would have no other gear for the synchro to ride against. Synchroes are placed BETWEEN the gears, trying to apply a synchro to reverse would have the reverse gear travelling backwards and you would never be able to enter reverse without serious damage occuring.

AKEP
08-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Bout to show the nerd in me....any one see the mythbusters when the tried to stop faster by putting the car in reverse on both auto and stick? Didn't work so well lol

because of this comment, i spent forever trying to find the episode and then another couple hours watching other videos online..jesus.

Twisted-X
08-14-2011, 06:01 PM

Yeah, I cringed the whole time they were ruining that Honda trans. He was using two hands and tugging on the shifter for all he was worth. :meek:
Jump to about 4:20 if your impatient:

http://youtu.be/hakNxO5pME4

Tnhatch03
08-14-2011, 06:41 PM
i was letting my sister drive us to Vegas, i was tired and was taking a nap, and i heard this loud crunching noise and it woke me up. i was like, wtf just happened! she acted like huh? and i said what was that noise. apparently, she thought the EP was 6 speed and was trying to shift into 6th gear.

she was used to driving her FG Si at the time.

needless to say, i was awake the rest of the time.

gtolio
08-15-2011, 09:04 AM
i was letting my sister drive us to Vegas, i was tired and was taking a nap, and i heard this loud crunching noise and it woke me up. i was like, wtf just happened! she acted like huh? and i said what was that noise. apparently, she thought the EP was 6 speed and was trying to shift into 6th gear.

she was used to driving her FG Si at the time.

needless to say, i was awake the rest of the time.

Damnnnn... That sucks. Any lasting problems because of it?

.colin
08-15-2011, 09:35 AM
lol happened to me the first few months of owning the car. I would coast out of a parking spot then try to put it in reverse and *CRUNCH CRUNCH!*

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Damnnnn... That sucks. Any lasting problems because of it?

AHHH!! same thing happened to me my friend who owns a rsx-s was driving and tried to stick it into 6th

and no lasting problems