PDA

View Full Version : 3m adhesive promoter

Andrew
08-16-2011, 12:17 PM
has anyone here ever used the 3m automotive adhesive promoter? i want to know if it is even worth purchasing. i am going to use the promoter and 3m automotive tape to re attach my sideskirts

eternal780
08-16-2011, 12:28 PM
i want to know this too, do you use the 3m VHB tape also ?

usedep3
08-16-2011, 02:08 PM
it really come down to prep work. i thoroughly cleaned the area, added adhesion promotor and then used 3m tape. haven't had any problems since.

RHCP0801
08-16-2011, 02:32 PM
i have reattached my sideskirts so many times. Cleaned the area with denatured alcohol, 3m adhesion pads and 3m tape. Clamped it to the car for a good 12 hours or so, 1 week later they would be separated again in the same spot in the rear of the skirt right at the end. I have done this so many times that I'm getting very annoyed. I just tried 3m liquid adhesive and even that is barely working. I think I'm gonna get some strong 3m adhesive and permanently secure them to the car, I mean like a cement type bond lol

Andrew
08-16-2011, 02:43 PM
i have reattached my sideskirts so many times. Cleaned the area with denatured alcohol, 3m adhesion pads and 3m tape. Clamped it to the car for a good 12 hours or so, 1 week later they would be separated again in the same spot in the rear of the skirt right at the end. I have done this so many times that I'm getting very annoyed. I just tried 3m liquid adhesive and even that is barely working. I think I'm gonna get some strong 3m adhesive and permanently secure them to the car, I mean like a cement type bond lol

i havent tried the 3m automotive adhesive promoter just yet, but maybe you should try it out

it really come down to prep work. i thoroughly cleaned the area, added adhesion promotor and then used 3m tape. haven't had any problems since.

i think im going to take the extra time to prep it more than i did last time. the skirts lasted for awhile, but i think i figured out a way to line the tape up and then im going to try using the 3m adhesive promoter too. hopefully i can get this done before norcals annual meet on saturday haha

RHCP0801
08-16-2011, 02:44 PM
i did try it, lasted a bit longer but not much

Andrew
08-16-2011, 03:06 PM
i did try it, lasted a bit longer but not much

oh i must not have understood you. well im gonna try it and i hope it works out for me. what type of sideskirts are you mounting to your ep3? and what year is your ep3?

RHCP0801
08-16-2011, 06:52 PM
2004 hfp sides, all hardware is used

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-16-2011, 07:15 PM

o.O ever thought about buying new clips lol

RHCP0801
08-16-2011, 07:17 PM
its not the clips, the tape secured to the clip detaches from the car...it sticks to the clip with no problem

Andrew
08-17-2011, 11:56 AM
2004 hfp sides, all hardware is used

ohh i see that'd odd for HFP sides wanting to come off the car. well i am trying to apply OEM 04-05 sides to an 03 ep3 with no clips and just 3m tape and 3m adhesive promoter. wish me luck lol

eternal780
08-23-2011, 10:51 PM
ohh i see that'd odd for HFP sides wanting to come off the car. well i am trying to apply OEM 04-05 sides to an 03 ep3 with no clips and just 3m tape and 3m adhesive promoter. wish me luck lol

Lemme know how that goes I'm trying to do the same too .

talonXracer
08-24-2011, 07:00 AM
I have used the adhesive promoter with excellent success and have NEVER had a lip or skirt start to seperate from the vehicle. The trick is to maintain at least 75 degrees during the cure process(24 hours). Cleaning with just rubbing alcohol etc is inadequate, it is essential to use a cutting compound to remove all traces of wax and sealant(alcohol doesnt even start to remove the sealant). I use a heater to get the surfaces at least 90 degreesF and then use the promoter, wait the required time and then apply the skirts/lips etc, clamp/brace the skirt/lip(make sure that the metal and skirt/lips are not deformed even the slightest amount) and leave the vehicle alone for at least 24 hours. Patience and attention to detail is required, get everything ready before even starting. Also never, ever touch any portion of the foam tapes adhesive unless it is with gloved fingers(fresh gloves, I usually go thru 2 sets of gloves per piece being attached)