PDA

View Full Version : DIY: squeaky clutch fix // clutch push rod adjustment

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-16-2011, 08:44 PM
So for those of you with a squeaky clutch or a loose clutch or a clutch that grabs "too high" or too low.

im gonna re post this set of procedures from I-vtec.net and put some pictures to go with it...hopefully you can decipher the pictures because i took them with my cameraphone

this literally took me 10minutes to do... + 15 minutes of figuring out if i did it correctly... = about half an hr

which then just led me to try and drive my car.

My clutch use to squeak alot and feel like there was a bit of play in it before it actually engaged.

now the play has been reduced alot and the squeak sound is almost gone. (it is still present but barely like 15%/100%, but im sure i can just adjust the pushrod more or apply a TINY bit of grease.)

and to add to this.. my clutch for some reason feels alot smoother...could just be in my head tho
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::
This is an oldie but a goodie.
This has helped some people solve grinding issues on K-Series transmissions, as well as squeeky clutch pedal issues. While this was written for the EP3, it should be the same for any K-Series car, as well as just about any car that uses a hydraulic clutch.
Also, this is pretty much a MUST if you install an aftermarket clutch+pressureplate, in order to get proper engagement/disengagement. That being said, on to the DIY:

Tools needed:
- 12mm wrench
- Small pair of vice grips
- A shop towel, rag, or some good grippy rubber gloves, to get a better grip on the pushrod when turning it
- A drop light/flashlight (unless you have super-uber-night-vision )

1) Slide your driver's seat all the way back, you'll need as much room as possible.
2) Remove the fuse panel cover.
3) Remove the lower panel above the pedals. There is a lock on it similar to the one on the fuse panel cover. Once it is undone, simply pull down to remove the panel.
4) Remove the plastic clip for the kick panel by unscrewing it. This will provide you with a bit more room to work.

For steps 5 through 10, Ignore the red goop everywhere, this is Mobil 1 Synthetic grease from a previous attempt at trying to stop the squeeking (and as we all know, it never works).

5) Take note of the angle that the pushrod enters the clutch master cylinder (CMC) on your car. It is most likely a downward angle. This means that there is slack between the pushrod and the piston in the CMC.

6) Begin by loosening the locknut with the 12mm wrench. You only need to break it loose by one or two threads.

7) Thread the pushrod out of the pushrod mounting bracket, by turning it clockwise. This will push it further into the CMC. This is where the rag/shop towel, or the grippy rubber gloves come in handy. The pushrod is a rather smooth surface and is hard to get a grip on, especially if there's grease all over it (god damn synthetic grease that never wears out ). As you're turning the pushrod, it will come to a point where it begins to get pretty hard to turn. At that point, you'll want to stop, and try pushing the clutch pedal down with your hand. There should be a tiny bit of free play, and then it should begin to get stiff. If there's no free play, then you've turned the pushrod into the CMC too much, and have put a preload on the piston in the CMC. If this is the case, back the pushrod out a bit until you get freeplay.

8) Once you have the pushrod adjusted and have made sure there is no preload on the CMC piston, take a look at the angle of the pushrod to the CMC. It should be pretty much 90 degrees. Much better then before, as there's now no slack.

9) Take your vicegrips, and clamp them on to the pushrod right where it enters the CMC.

10) Tighten the locknut using the 12mm wrench, while holding onto the vicegrips so that the pushrod does not back out of the CMC. Make sure the locknut is good and tight.

11) Thread the plastic clip from back onto it's stud. If it's becomming too much of a pain in the ass sitting there threading it on, you can usually just push it on.

12) Replace the lower cover, followed by the fuse panel cover.

13) Go for a test drive and enjoy your (hopefully) much better feeling clutch

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-16-2011, 09:17 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/diy11.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/diy12.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/diy13.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/diy14.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/NEO_FOLLOWER2/diy15.jpg

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-16-2011, 09:20 PM
hope this helps someone =]

its very easy. you'll be able to visually see the rod go in or out. :gheyf:

this problems seems to be the equivalent to a loose throttle body cable(free play in gas pedal) except for the clutch pedal.
im sure talonx will come and tell me im wrong though lol.

lemonhead228
08-19-2011, 12:13 AM
So doing this would benefit it right? And do the clutch catch completely different?

.colin
08-19-2011, 04:14 AM
Going to have to do this later today, my clutch grabs really high and squeeks like a mofo.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-21-2011, 03:39 AM
Going to have to do this later today, my clutch grabs really high and squeeks like a mofo.

how'd it work out for you?

i honestly don't know what exactly it did on my car, just that my clutch feels alot better and it doesnt squeak...

so im looking for feedback from other people who do this also

ttttrigg3r
08-25-2011, 03:15 PM
I want to personally thank the OP for making this DIY. I just did this today. I dont know what clutch grabbing really high means, but this fixed my squeek problem. one thing to note. when you're loosening the nut, you want to turn clockwise as you're looking from the back of the car to the front. I sat there for a minute thinking lefty loosey, but in this case when you're down there looking at the front of the car, you want to turn clockwise.

talonXracer
08-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Good pictures of the CMC/pedal

Just so you understand that is a bandaid fix for the clutch squeek, it will return.

The problem arises from the pushrod not being square with the bore of the CMC(Honda design) and ZERO grease being applied from the factory. The rounded end of the pushrod is NOT hard joined to the CMC piston cup, it is free floating. With use the free floating pushrod wears to a point and a groove is worn into the cup, the click occurs as the pointed end rides in and out of the groove. The only sure fix is a new CMC that has grease applied PRIOR to install

Danielsle
09-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Great DIY. A common problem with our EPs and some RSXs. I was reading this and I realized that my clutch kinda stopped squeaking on its own. I might still do this just in case though.

Kibble Fat
09-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Tried this and it still feels difficult to shift without rev-matching. Am I safe to adjust into the "harder" portion of the stroke or am I risking not getting enough clutch engagement? For me I think the risk is pretty low

lemonhead228
10-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Okay I just finish changing out my clutch and boy was it a bitch!

I think my clutch catches on the high side ( more room to catch) so Ima have to do this first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for this helpful dui

ep-unit
11-14-2011, 11:23 PM
good thread

SHG_EasyE
11-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Ill have to give this a try. Ive been lubing the pivot on the pedal and rod with Honda Moly paste a couple times a year and each time I apply it seems to instantly cure the squeak. Then as it wears away the squeak will come back.

jayjeff333
12-15-2011, 08:59 AM
hey guys! I want to do this adjustment today, but I dont understand one thing. The lock nut is on the right like the bottom pic shows, so why is his tool on the left nut? Can anyone specify in more detail please?

StockTexasEP3
12-19-2011, 04:00 AM
hey guys! I want to do this adjustment today, but I dont understand one thing. The lock nut is on the right like the bottom pic shows, so why is his tool on the left nut? Can anyone specify in more detail please?

Bump!

StockTexasEP3
12-19-2011, 04:11 AM
Im kind of confused by this DIY. It looks like basically, that you're undoing the nut a bit, so you can then thread the rod farther into the panel. So basically you're screwing the rod farther into the housing, right? Any help would be appreciated on this write up

NEO_FOLLOWER2
01-14-2012, 08:28 PM
you're un doing the lock nut to make the rod go further into the clutch master cylinder(the part in the front of the car basically)

ttttrigg3r
01-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Squeak came back =[.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
01-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Squeak came back =[.

like talonx said it would come back. the only way to fix it is to replace your cmc and have it greased.
but your clutch engagement should feel better regardless =]

ttttrigg3r
01-17-2012, 02:12 AM
like talonx said it would come back. the only way to fix it is to replace your cmc and have it greased.
but your clutch engagement should feel better regardless =]

It does feel better but I don't even know what the cmc look like. The sound seems to come exclusively from some kind of rubbing right under the pedal. Maybe when it gets too overbearing I'll spend more effort troubleshooting.

Eddie Murphy
01-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Replace with an em2 CMC for permanent fix. 46920-S5A-G05
http://cdn.revolutionparts.com/ill3.php?d=d9839&i=00713524274100070312171713161d1c761541&t=1420299662&make=honda
http://www.afhparts.com/auto-parts/2005/honda/civic-coupe/ex-trim/5-speed-manual-engine/chassis-cat/clutch-master-cylinder-1-scat