PDA

View Full Version : A/C compressor fixing to explode...

tinman5
08-19-2011, 07:26 AM
First of all, I don't know if this is the proper section, but I figure it is sort of engine related.
My a/c compressor has started making this awesome grinding, whirring sound similar to a blender mixing up some frozen margaritas. I will be taking her in for a check up and hopefully the repair should be covered by the extended warranty. My question is this: I am running a complete A2 swap with the stock EP a/c system. Would there be any benefit or even a difference in replacing the part with the rsx compressor?
I live in central texas where the inadequacies of the stock a/c system are realized by lunch time.
Thoughts, suggestions?

EPo3Hatch
08-19-2011, 05:00 PM
your clutch is f*cked it sounds like. i thought you couldnt run the ep ac system with the A2? id just go with what you have when buying new parts.

Ba82Ep3
08-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Both AC compressors are interchangeable...

If your compressor is done... then your system will be like new again once its been replaced and the system has been cleaned and recharged. No more lunchtime sweats...

tinman5
08-19-2011, 06:42 PM
That's good to hear.
I didn't want to add even more expense to the swap, so we simply unbolted all the hard parts from stock so we did not discharge the system.

Ba82Ep3
08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
If you take the lines off the compressor to change it... you have in fact discharged the system. If nothing came out... then the system has/had a leak and was already discharged.

Rasy
08-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Yep, it's discharged if anything in the system is disconnected. Make sure to use a quality A/C hose set, which you can rent at an auto parts store if you don't have one, to correctly read the low and high pressures when you recharge it.

The compressors are interchangable A2 = A3, and the system takes about 17 oz. of freon (or 1.1 lbs.)

Keep us updated when you get it fixed!