PDA

View Full Version : buy it, its worth it!

2003_ep3
08-19-2011, 10:26 PM
http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products/index.cgi/helixPowerTower

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu23/tlund123/EP3/tbs.jpg

so i thought it was all a scam, but i still decided to pick one up and see what its all about. ordered it from autoanything.com and was only 100$ with free shipping and got here in two days. in the box it came with the throttle body spacer, two gaskets, four extended bolts, and an instruction guide. i was kind of skeptical on how it would fit but the install was an absolute breeze! only took about 30min. the hardest part was scraping the old gasket off the throttle body. ugh. but after that just hold the two gaskets in place, and slide the new bolts in and your done! i heard a couple stories about people having problems with their car not running after they installed it but mine started right up. i let it idle and get a feel for itself for about 15 minutes and then i took it out for a drive. i know there mainly for trucks and stuff, but i heard the throttle response and low end torque you gain was pretty good. and it was great! and it sounded like a totally new car. the torque starts to pick up as low as 2400 and then you gain a good bit of top end in the upper revs as well. im extremely satisfied and i see it as a must get mod considering how cheap it is. and we all know our motors can use all the help they can get. lol. plus, my mpg went from about 28 to 31 per tank!

hyu
08-19-2011, 11:42 PM
I get 31 mpg with a bad cat and I drive hard 50% of the time. Looks like you just paid $100 for piece of mind.

2003_ep3
08-20-2011, 12:05 AM
ive always had worse mpg then what everyone else on here gets. never really bothered me. but netting a 3mpg gain over what i used to get does show that it actually does work. maybe the gas is worse here, who knows. dont have a cel, so im not sure what could be causing me to get such bad mileage. used to drive a v8, so anything about 15mpg is amazing to me! but what really gets me is the power gain, it feels like it got twice the power as when i installed my RH.

usedep3
08-20-2011, 02:06 AM
... what really gets me is the power gain, it feels like it got twice the power as when i installed my RH.

...really?

AKEP
08-20-2011, 02:24 AM
If i didn't have an rbc and the spacer already I'd pick one up and dyno it.
I may have another guinea pig though...

2003_ep3
08-20-2011, 06:11 AM
...really?

yes, really. im just saying what it felt like. i have the kiddracing header, and hands down it feel like it picked up more power. wish i was lying, considering the price and hassle the came with the RH. i would love to see some actual dyno numbers before/after installing the tbs

***and another thing***
but i think the product that i bought which made the most difference is my header wrap! my engine temp went from right 1/2 to less then 1/4 on the gauge!! i was shocked. i bought the thermo-tec black header wrap, installing it wasnt fun at all(my idiodic self didnt pay attention and didnt realize it was made from fiberglass til after i was done:(many showers and and scrubbing later i still had a lot in my arms and my throat, worst two days of my life, felt like trying to swallow a porcupine!) but the results were worth it. the cooler exhaust temp definitely improved the throttle response and made the it sound much better!

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu23/tlund123/EP3/IMAG0098.jpg
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu23/tlund123/EP3/IMAG0097.jpg
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu23/tlund123/EP3/IMAG0100.jpg

the temp picture was taken after two hours of interstate driving on the way to myrtle beach. averaging about 70mph at 3700rpm. i think it made a helluva difference

gamma6
08-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Lol @ the fiberglass, i work in composites and ive learned not to touch shit thats laying around cuz i made the same mistake u did...

2003_ep3
08-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Lol @ the fiberglass, i work in composites and ive learned not to touch shit thats laying around cuz i made the same mistake u did...

yeah, it wasnt very fun. is there anything that you can wear that protects your skin from that crap? im assuming a dust/sanding mask should take car of the mouth, but what about the hands? would just nitrile or latex gloves do the trick or will the fiberglass still get through it?? i may have to take this stuff off one day:mfrown:

AUTiger
08-20-2011, 09:29 AM
leather gloves would be best, that and soak it in water before applying

2003_ep3
08-20-2011, 10:35 AM
**that and soak it in water before applying**

thats the step i thought i could get away with without doing...:mbiggrin: i was too lazy. haha.

so someone else totally needs to buy a tbs and head to the dyno...i dont have know of any around here

nmysiismyn
08-20-2011, 11:16 AM
$100 isn't a cheap mod, IMO.
I'd rather put that $100 toward a Skunk2 TB, err something... (all kinds of things)

I don't doubt the tornado effect from this thing (like THIS THING (http://media.komonews.com/images/070521_Tornado_device.jpg) does) helps a bit (more with MPG's than HP), but I trip out that you say you feel there's such a noticeable difference in power.

Anyway.. as long as you're happy and you like it.

2003_ep3
08-20-2011, 11:43 AM
$100 isn't a cheap mod, IMO.
I'd rather put that $100 toward a Skunk2 TB, err something... (all kinds of things)

I don't doubt the tornado effect from this thing (like THIS THING (http://media.komonews.com/images/070521_Tornado_device.jpg) does) helps a bit (more with MPG's than HP), but I trip out that you say you feel there's such a noticeable difference in power.

Anyway.. as long as you're happy and you like it.

you dont have to believe me. but after driving this thing for the past couple years, its kinda easy to tell when you gained a little power. im not saying i gained like 15hp and 10tq, but i guarantee i gained something. it may have been a couple hp or something, and the improved throttle response probably makes it feel that way as well.

superchargedk20
08-20-2011, 01:10 PM
um the temp gauge always sits below the 1/2 mark lol. I think this is all in ur head my man

hkrayingboyz
08-20-2011, 01:35 PM
i have a scoop on my cf hood (the old style). My temp is around there. Even b4 i use the cf hood with scoop, my temp is still a bit lower than 1/2. If your temp is above, then there might be a problem to your car.

2003_ep3
08-20-2011, 01:38 PM
um the temp gauge always sits below the 1/2 mark lol. I think this is all in ur head my man

i understand that normally it would sit closer the the halfway mark. never said i ran with it above it. my point being, is that after the header wrap, it NEVER goes above a 1/4 on the temp gauge. no matter how hard i drive. so i think it made a pretty significant difference

nmysiismyn
08-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Mine has always sat at the 1/4 mark...

T_Virus
08-20-2011, 02:08 PM
go get some dyno #'s ...

AKAahlecks
08-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I get 31 mpg with a bad cat and I drive hard 50% of the time. Looks like you just paid $100 for piece of mind.

damn.. 31? i drove easy and fuelly got me in at 28..

si03
08-20-2011, 03:23 PM
ive always had worse mpg then what everyone else on here gets. never really bothered me. but netting a 3mpg gain over what i used to get does show that it actually does work. maybe the gas is worse here, who knows. dont have a cel, so im not sure what could be causing me to get such bad mileage. used to drive a v8, so anything about 15mpg is amazing to me! but what really gets me is the power gain, it feels like it got twice the power as when i installed my RH.

Which one did you end up getting from that site ? The Si starts at 2006 and up.

PAPITUYO326
08-20-2011, 04:07 PM
i understand that normally it would sit closer the the halfway mark. never said i ran with it above it. my point being, is that after the header wrap, it NEVER goes above a 1/4 on the temp gauge. no matter how hard i drive. so i think it made a pretty significant difference

Not to rain on your parade, but the gauge you are reading is an engine COOLANT temperature gauge. As such, wrapping your header will not make a difference in its temperature. It has no contact with any part of the coolant system.

You could argue that the wrap gives the header a lower temperature, but what it is actually doing is protecting the outside components from the heat of the header. The header itself is impeded from transferring heat via conduction and actually remains warmer.

Trust me, it's in your head. You probably changed coolant or topped it off. THAT will make a difference in your engine coolant temp.

2003_ep3
08-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Which one did you end up getting from that site ? The Si starts at 2006 and up.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/61A4397A0A0A2656406.aspx

2003_ep3
08-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but the gauge you are reading is an engine COOLANT temperature gauge. As such, wrapping your header will not make a difference in its temperature. It has no contact with any part of the coolant system.

You could argue that the wrap gives the header a lower temperature, but what it is actually doing is protecting the outside components from the heat of the header. The header itself is impeded from transferring heat via conduction and actually remains warmer.

Trust me, it's in your head. You probably changed coolant or topped it off. THAT will make a difference in your engine coolant temp.

thanks for being a nerd and making me look like a fool:( jk. i like learning new things, it never hurts. it just had to of been a coincidence that the temp dropped after i installed the header wrap. the whole point of me putting it on was to kill the exhaust leak at the slip fit connections on my RH. it did the trick and sounds much better, so im happy. but im pretty sure it may have helped a little considering any after market intake sits practically on top of our header. that was a genius idea...atleast the intake is sucking in a little cooler air now. i need to rig up some sort of heat shield next

superchargedk20
08-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Or get a cold air and call it a day

T_Virus
08-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Or get a cold air and call it a day

with a napa radiator hose FTW.

lbk02si
08-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Two things I wanna say to the op... RE & TARD. and yea I think that's about it lol!

2003_ep3
08-21-2011, 07:36 AM
rains way too much here for a cold air intake. my brother is a mechanic and you would be amazed by the amount of kids that come to the dealership he works at with hydrolocked cars. its incredible. and they all have one thing in common, CAI's. so i think im going to be the smart one and stay away from it. i think a heat shield will a) save 180$ and b) do the same exact thing.

Two things I wanna say to the op... RE & TARD. and yea I think that's about it lol!

how the hell do you figure i am a retard? so i got one thing wrong, you take it up with my engine about why that gauge dropped after i installed my header wrap, i think its just a bit more then coincidence. not everyone here is a god and knows everything about cars, some people have to learn new things. there is no reason to make fun of them for that. we all started somewhere. so if your going to come her and post bull shit just because i MAY have made a mistake, then go somewhere else and GTFO.

RHCP0801
08-21-2011, 08:01 AM
this thread has to be a joke

2003_ep3
08-21-2011, 08:30 AM
this thread has to be a joke

no sir, the majority of people on here are a joke. the mature level is atrocious.

i simply made a post about something i thought was a pretty good purchase and stated what i liked about it. then i posted about something else i purchased and may have made a wrong comment and everyone jumped on it like a piece of meat in a lions den. everyone hear has is so closed minded they have to always be right and can never give any decent advice. about the only post worth a shit on here was papituys. everything else was just a bashing.

maybe i should just buy another mustang, atleast people on the mustang forums cared about what you had to say and took their time to help you out and didnt always try to put you down when you made a mistake.

nmysiismyn
08-21-2011, 09:12 AM
...the only post worth a shit on here was papituys. everything else was just a bashing.

http://www.hjo3.net/orly/gal1/orly_bowie.jpg

lbk02si
08-21-2011, 10:06 AM
rains way too much here for a cold air intake. my brother is a mechanic and you would be amazed by the amount of kids that come to the dealership he works at with hydrolocked cars. its incredible. and they all have one thing in common, CAI's. so i think im going to be the smart one and stay away from it. i think a heat shield will a) save 180$ and b) do the same exact thing.

how the hell do you figure i am a retard? so i got one thing wrong, you take it up with my engine about why that gauge dropped after i installed my header wrap, i think its just a bit more then coincidence. not everyone here is a god and knows everything about cars, some people have to learn new things. there is no reason to make fun of them for that. we all started somewhere. so if your going to come her and post bull shit just because i MAY have made a mistake, then go somewhere else and GTFO.

1. you have riced out colored wire loom, thats going to get you flamed on any forum.
2. i'm not talking about your header wrap, i don't think anyone on this forum will argue the benefits of heat insulation, hello i have a turbo blanket myself. i'm talking about you buying some cheesy throttle body spacer and thinking that all the sudden your car has all this new found power from an extra inch of space between your throttle body and intake manifold. if that were the case, don't you think everyone on this forum would have one?!?! (btw, before you say anything, i have a spacer as well, that was put on for shits and giggles. we'd planned to do a before and after dyno pull to see if the claims were true about power gains)
3. i never claimed to be "a god" who "knows everything about cars" but thanks for the compliment anyways :)
4. and last but not least, i didn't post the bull shit, you did.

j0000stin
08-21-2011, 11:41 AM
but im pretty sure it may have helped a little considering any after market intake sits practically on top of our header. that was a genius idea...atleast the intake is sucking in a little cooler air now. i need to rig up some sort of heat shield next

you cant be serious right?

our intakes dont even sit on top of the header?

2003_ep3
08-21-2011, 12:06 PM
1. you have riced out colored wire loom, thats going to get you flamed on any forum.
2. i'm not talking about your header wrap, i don't think anyone on this forum will argue the benefits of heat insulation, hello i have a turbo blanket myself. i'm talking about you buying some cheesy throttle body spacer and thinking that all the sudden your car has all this new found power from an extra inch of space between your throttle body and intake manifold. if that were the case, don't you think everyone on this forum would have one?!?! (btw, before you say anything, i have a spacer as well, that was put on for shits and giggles. we'd planned to do a before and after dyno pull to see if the claims were true about power gains)
3. i never claimed to be "a god" who "knows everything about cars" but thanks for the compliment anyways :)
4. and last but not least, i didn't post the bull shit, you did.

a) the wire loom came with the car when i bought it, never payed any attention to it or bothered to take it off.
b)umm, im pretty sure it gained something after i installed it. considering im not turboed like you, i think i would be able to notice a couple hp increase. like in my previous post, i never said i gained like 15hp, all i said was i FELT like it had gained something. and if i bought such a cheesy tbs, why would did you buy one??? i clearly stated why i got it. i never really got the mpg i thought i should, so i wanted to see if it would help. read a little more before you post. i clearly explained myself.
c) i never called you a god about cars, so dont take the credit. i was just saying as a figure of speech, you called me a retard, therefore i said "not everyone on here is a god and knows everything about cars". once again read a little more
d) and the bull shit i was talking about was the fact you called me a retard. i didnt post any bullshit.

so if people would actually, ***FOR ONCE IN LIFE*** read all the comments on a thread and then comment with what they have to say they would sound a little smarter. DONT JUST READ THE OP's POST THEN JUMP TO THE LAST PAGE AND POST A COMMENT. quit being lazy and read it all.

2003_ep3
08-21-2011, 12:08 PM
you cant be serious right?

our intakes dont even sit on top of the header?

and once again, dont take what i have to say so serious. internet sarcasm is hard to pick up but still. i was exaggerating. but compared to most cars our intakes are in a pretty shitty place. they are**pretty close to being on top of our header**

doubledouble
08-21-2011, 12:34 PM
:facepalm:

:)

bearcat91
08-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Mine has always sat at the 1/4 mark...
Same here...even after 4 or 5 passes at the strip and 30 min iinterstate drive

Blah1219
08-21-2011, 02:42 PM
In before the lock.

BTW, this thread has given me convinced to do a p2r throttle body spacer and plenum spacer with exhaust wrap and do a before and after dyno.

mitchell_ep3
08-21-2011, 03:07 PM
throttle body spacer definately made a difference in my dad's 5.7 tundra... he has never hit 25 mpg on the computer read out before... but who knows right?

nmysiismyn
08-21-2011, 03:11 PM
In before the lock.

BTW, this thread has given me convinced to do a p2r throttle body spacer and plenum spacer with exhaust wrap and do a before and after dyno.

I can't find it, but a buddy gave me a new P2R TB for free.
I assumed it be pointless to install it on a stock TB/IM...
I mean.. It would be, right? :mangel:

Blah1219
08-21-2011, 03:19 PM
I can't find it, but a buddy gave me a new P2R TB for free.
I assumed it be pointless to install it on a stock TB/IM...
I mean.. It would be, right? :mangel:

My build consists of k24a1 head, k20z1 pistons, rods, crank, and oil pump, dcrh, Sri, hondata img, spoon n1. It's still in the build process. I'm stoked.

nmysiismyn
08-21-2011, 03:50 PM
throttle body spacer definately made a difference in my dad's 5.7 tundra... he has never hit 25 mpg on the computer read out before... but who knows right?

Yeah, I have no doubt that the thing may help MPG's.

I feel the guy on saying that he "feels faster".
I remember telling my boss at Skunk2 that my car, after doing the DIY super solid motor mounts, not only hooked up better and handled high-speed corners better, but even felt faster in a straight line. :tehe: He looked at me like, "WTF?" lol... I stand by that claim. When you drive your car with the same few mods for years and years, it's really easy to feel any changes/differences. I mean it- clutching was definitely smoother and that alone, aside from less wheel-hop, made it feel like it didn't have as much lag- during launches anyway...

Besides that, I think, especially at a stand still, high ambient temps in an engine bay can affect your internal temps pretty substantially.

Anyway...
I don't understand why everyone's bashin' the dude so hard...
So, he spent $100 bucks on a chunk of metal that may have helped him gain a couple MPG's and .002 HP, bought/installed heat-wrap that may have gave him some drop of ambient temps, he's happy about it and he's sharing his experience... I know I've never seen the thing.
It's not like he's claiming any of his possible gains or drops as a fact...

IDK. EPHatch is an awesome community and it really isn't like us to bash people so easily. I think the dude's been pretty humble in his lack of experience and knowledge and it's sad to read all the childish/unhelpful posts.

Is it the fact that he keeps defending himself that keeps everyone going like it's Honda-Tech? :shrug:

nmysiismyn
08-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I see the problem here. :tehe:

(from his other thread)

its not your car. you dont have to worry how dumb it is or isnt. you dont make the payments. everyone has there own preferences for there car...

Come on man take a joke...

...im not good at taking jokes. ive been picked on too much:( lol...

nmysiismyn
08-21-2011, 04:03 PM
I see the problem here. :gheywa:

(from one of his previous threads)

its not your car. you dont have to worry how dumb it is or isnt. you dont make the payments. everyone has there own preferences for there car...

Come on man take a joke...

im not good at taking jokes. ive been picked on too much :( lol.

My advice to you, OP:
-Try to keep it short (not easy for some, I know)

-Don't be so quick to start a thread for every question

-Use this thread: Small Quick Common Dumb Question Thread- (use this instead of making new threads) (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?62000-Small-Quick-Common-Dumb-Question-Thread-%28use-this-instead-of-making-new-threads%29)

-Don't take everything so literally/personal

-Consider comments/advice, but learn to just know what you know, so you're not so defensive.

:thumbu:

(edited advice)

lbk02si
08-21-2011, 06:37 PM
a) the wire loom came with the car when i bought it, never payed any attention to it or bothered to take it off.
b)umm, im pretty sure it gained something after i installed it. considering im not turboed like you, i think i would be able to notice a couple hp increase. like in my previous post, i never said i gained like 15hp, all i said was i FELT like it had gained something. and if i bought such a cheesy tbs, why would did you buy one??? i clearly stated why i got it. i never really got the mpg i thought i should, so i wanted to see if it would help. read a little more before you post. i clearly explained myself.
c) i never called you a god about cars, so dont take the credit. i was just saying as a figure of speech, you called me a retard, therefore i said "not everyone on here is a god and knows everything about cars". once again read a little more
d) and the bull shit i was talking about was the fact you called me a retard. i didnt post any bullshit.

so if people would actually, ***FOR ONCE IN LIFE*** read all the comments on a thread and then comment with what they have to say they would sound a little smarter. DONT JUST READ THE OP's POST THEN JUMP TO THE LAST PAGE AND POST A COMMENT. quit being lazy and read it all.

Take your own advice, had you have read all my post you would have answered your own question. I bought my spacer for shits and giggles, didn't even pay full price, it was more of a hook up on a part that we were gonna test on the dyno to see if their claims were true.

Btw you can't take the compliment back... You did call me a car god. In fact I'm thinking about changing my username on here to that now!

j0000stin
08-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Take your own advice, had you have read all my post you would have answered your own question. I bought my spacer for shits and giggles, didn't even pay full price, it was more of a hook up on a part that we were gonna test on the dyno to see if their claims were true.

Btw you can't take the compliment back... You did call me a car god. In fact I'm thinking about changing my username on here to that now!

dont get big headed now haha

04SiSpeed
08-31-2011, 10:27 AM
and once again, dont take what i have to say so serious. internet sarcasm is hard to pick up but still. i was exaggerating. but compared to most cars our intakes are in a pretty shitty place. they are**pretty close to being on top of our header**

Lol uhhh dude the header goes out the back of our car, and if you actually buy a intake not made by ebay, then it goes in front of your driver tire.

We actually have a very productive intake on our cars (aftermarket cold air ones i am talking about) , the least distance to travel and more straight anything is the more it will perform for you. So id have to disagree on that one bud sorry