PDA

View Full Version : Charging Cellphone While Ignition Is Off???

nmysiismyn
08-20-2011, 10:33 PM
My cellphone holder/setup:

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/Tommy_Castroreale/EPHatch/IMAG1325800w.jpg

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/Tommy_Castroreale/EPHatch/IMAG1330800w.jpg

I tried to get this wired up today... VERY disappointed that I couldn't figure out something so simple. :mcry:
Yeah... Tapping into the accessory socket would take 2 minutes, but I want to tap into something that's hot all the time- not just when the ignition is on.

What I mostly use now is a power adapter, designed for laptops and whatnot... It has a fan built in and it's very annoying!

On the other end of my charging cable is a USB plug, which can be plugged into a home charger (outlet plug) and car charger (cigarette lighter/accessory plug), kinda like this, but with LED indicator lights on both chargers:

http://www.wirelessemporium.com/productpics/big/3-in-1-micro-usb-travel-car-charger-kit--black-.jpg

I figured I'd just run wires from the home charger plug prongs and splice it into a hot wire somewhere... I had no luck...
So, I took the thing and hooked it directly to my battery. The LED didn't light up... I'm so noob that I don't even know why. :mredface: All I know is the volts/amps have gotta be off. AC>DC? shrug: Pfft.. IDK.. so I decided to crack open the car charger and wire that directly to the battery... Still, no dice...
So, now I'm like WTF!!!? :mmad:

I tested the cracked-open car charger by connecting it to the accessory sockets pigtail and it lit up, so I know it works, but doing so, I noticed that it got super hot, super fast...

Can someone help me get this done without burning my car down?

I couldn't find crap under the dash that was hot without the ignition on and I REALLY don't want to have any ghetto wires running under my hood.

Thanks, in advance, for anything you guys can help with.

AKAahlecks
08-21-2011, 02:34 AM
just curious, why do you want something to be wired to something thats constantly on?

05 hatch
08-21-2011, 05:39 AM
just curious, why do you want something to be wired to something thats constantly on?

It won't Constantly be on but it will have power to it all the time. It is so you are able to charge your phone without the key being in your car or run some other kind of accessory. My silverado is like this. It's great when your away from an outlet plug and you need to charge your phone and not leave your keys in the car so it will get stolen.

Project Yellow
08-21-2011, 07:30 AM
First off, I have no idea what I'm talking about... lol

But isn't the memory wire to the back of the radio constantly on? Maybe you could do something with that?

nmysiismyn
08-21-2011, 09:00 AM

It won't Constantly be on but it will have power to it all the time. It is so you are able to charge your phone without the key being in your car or run some other kind of accessory. My silverado is like this. It's great when your away from an outlet plug and you need to charge your phone and not leave your keys in the car so it will get stolen.

:yeahthat:
Thanks bud!

First off, I have no idea what I'm talking about... lol

But isn't the memory wire to the back of the radio constantly on? Maybe you could do something with that?

It's all good! I'm obviously an electrical noob too. lol
I'm assuming there's some power converting going on from the battery to throughout the car. When I was Googling the stuff, I saw the 12V source from the radio come up quite often, so I think you're right. They were warning that damage could be caused when charging too many things from there at once, but I won't be doing that, obviously.

I'll definitely give that a shot today.
I was too aggravated yesterday- after all the time I spent on the floorboard and stuff. lol

BIG thanks... :mbiggrin:

SkareKrow
08-21-2011, 10:19 AM
:bump: for a how to @Tommy! I been trying to think of a way aswell. Lol specially since we have the same phone.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using TapaTalk Version 1.12.5c!

Project Yellow
08-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Let us know the outcome!

bearcat91
08-21-2011, 03:02 PM
What holder is that? Is it universal to hold my droid?!

nmysiismyn
08-21-2011, 04:28 PM
:bump: for a how to @Tommy! I been trying to think of a way aswell. Lol specially since we have the same phone.

Thanks for the bump!

Let us know the outcome!

Will do!
I promised I'd wash my ladies truck a couple of days ago, so I better do that 1st. :tape:
I'll try to make it a quickie-wash. :mwink:

What holder is that? Is it universal to hold my droid?!

Yes sir. It will.
It's a Bracketron Mobile Grip-it Universal Holder:
http://www.hdexpress.com/Cellular/CellularAccessories/MountingKits/largeimages/phv-200bl.jpg

[Link To Their Product Page] (http://www.bracketron.com/products/mobile-grip-it-universal-holder)

It was all I could find that was decent back when I bought my EVO in June of last year. I used to use the air vent clips, hanging it from the pocket that's just below the radio (since it was sctratched up anyway), but I recently painted my dash and decided to rig up a mount for it to where it's at.. I like it. :mbiggrin:

AKAahlecks
08-22-2011, 02:40 AM
how about trying your alarm? id think that is always on

SkareKrow
08-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the bump!

Will do!
I promised I'd wash my ladies truck a couple of days ago, so I better do that 1st. :tape:
I'll try to make it a quickie-wash. :mwink:

Yes sir. It will.
It's a Bracketron Mobile Grip-it Universal Holder:
http://www.hdexpress.com/Cellular/CellularAccessories/MountingKits/largeimages/phv-200bl.jpg

[Link To Their Product Page]

It was all I could find that was decent back when I bought my EVO in June of last year. I used to use the air vent clips, hanging it from the pocket that's just below the radio (since it was sctratched up anyway), but I recently painted my dash and decided to rig up a mount for it to where it's at.. I like it. :mbiggrin:

Link not posted to it. Its funny because I have my phone on the cluster all the time but Id rather like it to mount up there I might stop by one of these to set it up the same way.

talonXracer
08-22-2011, 09:38 AM
:
I'm assuming there's some power converting going on from the battery to throughout the car.

Absolutely NOT

The vehicle runs on +12vdc, (some engine controls/sensors are 5vdc, but that is all handled within the ECU).

The plug in adaptor will contain the voltage convertor if the appliance uses a different operating voltage other than +12vdc

nmysiismyn
08-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Absolutely NOT

The vehicle runs on +12vdc, (some engine controls/sensors are 5vdc, but that is all handled within the ECU).

The plug in adaptor will contain the voltage convertor if the appliance uses a different operating voltage other than +12vdc

lol.. I meant to type that with some sarcasm, but it looks like I definitely didn't finish my"joke". :tehe: oops!
My first car was a '66 1/2 VW Fastback (first year in U.S.) that had to be converted from 6v to 12v... That ish was a nightmare at 14 years old. lol

I spent about an hour trying to find an under-dash source before I tried connecting it to my battery because I assumed all that time that it would light up the indicator LED, but I was shocked to see that it wasn't. :mrolleyes:
IDK.. Maybe it was too bright outside for me to see it.. I'll have to give it a shot again, but not in direct sunlight.

Big thanks!
So, either adapter (home, car) should work, right?
Other than the mentioned; Any suggestions as to what I should tap into under the dash?

nmysiismyn
08-22-2011, 10:37 AM
how about trying your alarm? id think that is always on

I was thinking that too, but... I should take a pic to show what a tangled mess that Honda hooked me up with when installing the factory alarm. :mrolleyes:

Link not posted to it. Its funny because I have my phone on the cluster all the time but Id rather like it to mount up there I might stop by one of these to set it up the same way.

Link fixed. Thanks..
Radio Shack should still have 'em. I got mine from them for free because I pre-ordered my EVO there. :mbiggrin:

nmysiismyn
08-22-2011, 01:13 PM
...Will do!
I'll try to make it a quickie-wash. :mwink:...

I failed at making the truck washing quickie, like I do with everything. :mrolleyes:
...Too anal!

I'll try getting to attempting this now.

nmysiismyn
08-22-2011, 03:30 PM
...Feeling SO LAME!
...SO FRUSTRATED!

With the home charger, I got the LED indicator light to come on through the (+)/(-) on the radio, but that's it.
When I saw the thing light up, with the key off, :meek: I thought I was done and it turned out to be a 2 minute project, :mredface:

Could the problem be with the home chargers that I'm hooking up to? That doesn't seem right to me...
Houses are 12v...
Cars are 12v...
WTF!!!? :mmad:

I'm gonna try searching for another car charger to use anyway because the only one I have (that I know of so far, besides the big power/laptop/fan-cooled one) is a cheap-o that gets hot. I think it used to pop my fuses a long time ago. :mrolleyes:

Ugh... SO LAME!

talonXracer
08-22-2011, 04:48 PM
The house charger uses 112vac and converts it to whatever DC voltage the appliance uses, the car charger does the same thing from 12vdc to whatever the phone uses(usually 9vdc). Your directions as well as the chargers themselves will have the info(chargers will say 112vac input and then whatever the output is.

On the underdash fuse box there is a connector(single pin(blade)) that has 12vdc unswitched, it is used with the OEM optional fog lights, check the directions for installing the Honda foglights for the exact location.

nmysiismyn
08-22-2011, 05:14 PM
The house charger uses 112vac and converts it to whatever DC voltage the appliance uses, the car charger does the same thing from 12vdc to whatever the phone uses(usually 9vdc). Your directions as well as the chargers themselves will have the info(chargers will say 112vac input and then whatever the output is.

On the underdash fuse box there is a connector(single pin(blade)) that has 12vdc unswitched, it is used with the OEM optional fog lights, check the directions for installing the Honda foglights for the exact location.

Thank you, sir!
I finally got it to work using a different car charger and tapping into my radio! http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/Tommy_Castroreale/Emotes/Small%20Emotes/wasnt-that-funny.gif
I just need to clean everything up now with wire taps, etc.

I thought the home charger would work fine, but I guess it needs a car charger (that actually works. lol)

I'm gonna look into that fuse location for the fogs though.. I'd much rather set it up more OEM-style! :thumbu:

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/Tommy_Castroreale/EPHatch/b1c94526.png
^old pic. :tehe: It's been a while...