PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum shifter and cable bushings

hueyhy
08-21-2011, 05:44 AM
Will they hurt the cable and tranny?
I tried to use the aluminum cable bushing but the mechanics said it would hurt the tranny and cable, so I just kept the stock rubber bushing.
But I also got a set of aluminum shifter base bushing, would that be harmful to the tranny too? If not , I'll install them. Not so sure because I see from those pictures that they are not in the path that connect the shifter and tranny.
Here's the link for the bushings:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?61459-DIY-aluminum-shifter-base-bushings-install&p=843464

Reaper27
08-23-2011, 06:24 PM
I would also like to know about this. I am looking at buying the shifter (under the hood and the base) bushings from Corsport.

talonXracer
08-23-2011, 06:26 PM
I had used the aluminum bushings for years, over 160K miles and had absolutely no issues whatsoever and I have NEVER heard of ANYONE having issues that could be caused by the bushings. The shifter mech bushings are a waste of money, just get the trans bushings.

mitchlikesbikes
08-23-2011, 07:43 PM
I had used the aluminum bushings for years, over 160K miles and had absolutely no issues whatsoever and I have NEVER heard of ANYONE having issues that could be caused by the bushings. The shifter mech bushings are a waste of money, just get the trans bushings.

i actually got the mech ones first and they did help quite a bit, but the tranny ones definitely made more of a difference. having both + a weighted knob is like sex on the beach haha. no issues so far, but it's only been like 5 or 6k since install.

talonXracer
08-23-2011, 07:51 PM
I would suggest tossing that weighted shift knob as far away from a Kseries transmission as possible(or give it to someone with a DC5/EP3 that you absolutely hate), LOL

I had ordered the bushings opposite of you, first the trans and then the shifter. Eventually I removed the shifter bushings and left the trans bushings in and it is that much better again.

mitchlikesbikes
08-23-2011, 07:54 PM
I would suggest tossing that weighted shift knob as far away from a Kseries transmission as possible(or give it to someone with a DC5/EP3 that you absolutely hate), LOL

is it really that bad? i could just remove some material off of it to lighten it up instead of getting a new one.

talonXracer
08-23-2011, 07:59 PM
The issues I have seen are bent shift forks, and broken cables at the worse, and at best the shifter falls out of 1,3,5th gears when you hit a bump. I am sure there are many who have not had issues, but just as many with minor to major shifting issues.

I gave mine away(a Junk2 knob) and snagged a leather wrapped s2k knob a few weeks later, drove around without a shift knob for a bit.....

Reaper27
08-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Really? I've had a Blox weighted knob on my ep3 for almost a year now and I've had none of these issues (knock on wood ha).

SkareKrow
08-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Really? I've had a Blox weighted knob on my ep3 for almost a year now and I've had none of these issues (knock on wood ha).

I have a blox one as well.... What happens if I have that one? @ Talon?

mitchlikesbikes
08-30-2011, 07:17 PM
i'm on the blox wagon too haha

RHCP0801
08-30-2011, 07:24 PM
I had the skunk2 knob, sold it for an even heavier knob which was the moddiction gloss black anvil knob. That knob was so damn heavy it made shifting pretty difficult, I sold that and right now I have an ebay plastic white one and all I can is this $10 knob is the best knob I have ever owned. Its white and plastic so it doesn't get hot or cold in the summer/winter and its nice and light which works perfectly with the bcss and the corsport bushings on the trans and bcss(they came as a package so I installed them all) I'll never go back to weighted knob again.

Blah1219
08-30-2011, 08:08 PM
I have the spoon ti-c shift knob. Shifting is so much better than the stock leather knob. I was lucky enough to pick it up for 45 on epcrack. I'm about to do the bcss, hr cable bushings and corsport base bushings. I'm ready to get my ep back on the road again.

Reaper27
09-21-2011, 08:51 AM
I love my Blox knob, it's not too heavy and looks pretty damn nice haha. But anyways I was looking into the cable bushings for my tranny and was going to buy the corsport but then I saw that hybrid racing has a set too and they say that they're better for the transmission but also you achieve the same results in stiffing the shifting? Are they better and has anyone used them? Or would I just be paying double the price for the these just to have the goldish bling in m engine bay?

RHCP0801
09-21-2011, 09:16 AM
the only part I like about the hr ones are that they have a bearing in the middle, would you notice the difference between the corsport and hr ones? probably not. I have had the corsport ones for about 2 years now and they are just as good as the day I put them in

Euroyellowep3
08-27-2012, 05:10 AM

I recently bought back my old EP from my brother (who had it for 6 years). He had the skunk2 weighted knob on there the entire time. The first thing I did to it was put the stock shifter knob back on. I just didnt like how heavy and hard it was to change gears. It feels so much better now, but I feel lots of slop in the shifter that I didnt remember being there before. Im thinking about buying new shifter cables from corsport...