PDA

View Full Version : between 50 and 60 car starts to shake

Kerby
08-21-2011, 06:07 AM
Sup guys.

I'm helping out a friendthis weekend. The car is a 2004 CRV. I can't believe how similar the CRV is to the EP3. It's almost the exact layout engine and suspension wise.

Here's the deal:

The Car begins to vibrate semi violently between 50mph and at 60mph it stops.
Also, at low speeds when the car is either at full left or right turns you hear a loud thudding clunk.
Both Thuddings are identicle so I'm assuming they are the same part.

I've looked at the Control Arm bushings and they are all good.
I've looked at all the motor mounts, and they are all good.

What can it be?

Drew1d
08-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Blown strut?

Project Yellow
08-21-2011, 07:27 AM
I have one of these at work right now we're dealing with the same issue. This beast had almost square tires on it, and garbage motor mounts. We replaced two mounts, and swapped some tires for testing, it still did the same thing. We had four codes, 02, running lean, injector and a transmission code... do you have any codes?

POOPTOOTH
08-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Un-Balanced tires? Bent Rim?

Those are usually the big two items to look for if the vibration is in such a small window.

beechstreet
08-21-2011, 08:26 AM
I was going to say wheel bearing, but you say the shaking stops after 60mph? has it had an alignment recently?

powdbyrice
08-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Un-Balanced tires? Bent Rim?

Those are usually the big two items to look for if the vibration is in such a small window.

this.

maybe the clunking is coincidental and a separate issue?

EPo3Hatch
08-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Id say unbalanced tires, or one or more tires have lumps in them from uneven road wear

Kerby
08-21-2011, 02:30 PM
she told me that yes, the truck was in an accident. A really bad one. So it's a possibility that the rims may be bent.
She just got new tires, but she purchased them through a discount store... (Think "Sam's Club", "CostCo", or "BJs Wholesale").
They did a tire balance, but not an allignment.

So you guys are thinking an allignment, and rebalance the tires at a reputable shop to see if the rims are bent?
But what could be causing the clunking/thudding at low speeds when during full steering wheels turns?

Thanks again guys for your responses.

Calvinep3
08-21-2011, 02:43 PM
I had really bad vibrations on the ep a couple months ago and it turned out to b one of my axles. Not sure if it applies to you but its worth checking.

hyu
08-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Clunking sound could be bad axle...
You need to balance your tires regularly as sometimes the wheel weights can fly off or uneven roadwear... Like others have posted it could be bent rim or balancing. Did she get her car aligned after car accident? Where was the accident on the car?

I have vibrations on my car right now past 65... I know its either bad ball joint and bad tie rod ends... Suspension is about >500 miles and I just got an alignment...

PatrickJamesYu
08-21-2011, 04:46 PM
I had a bad vibration problem around those speeds too
my front wheels were toed in which caused it.

just my input.