PDA

View Full Version : Pennzoil Ultra.

STP03BlueSI
08-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Anyone used this stuff? We just got some in at the Lexus dealership I work for. The reviews on various forums seems to be better than Mobil 1.

Thinking of changing over as I have been running Vavoline (for their warrenty)

sLiCk
08-21-2011, 11:33 AM
I've been using the platinum oil which has very good reviews and rivals the higher dollar stuff. I would only imagine the ultra being even better quality. If you can get it for a good price, don't hesitate to use it. Also what is this 'warranty' that you are talking about?

STP03BlueSI
08-21-2011, 11:49 AM
I've been using the platinum oil which has very good reviews and rivals the higher dollar stuff. I would only imagine the ultra being even better quality. If you can get it for a good price, don't hesitate to use it. Also what is this 'warranty' that you are talking about?

https://valvoline.promo.eprize.com/engineguarantee/

Mechanic
08-22-2011, 05:00 AM
The paramount reason for choosing Pennzoil Ultra over Pennzoil Platinium is PU's more robust additive package. It's really a product intended for non-enthusiasts who want what they believe is "the best" but don't want to change oil more than once a year or so (12k miles).

Is it better than Mobil 1? Well, these days there's "regular" M1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance. They are comparable to Pennzoil Platinium and Pennzoil Ultra.

In a street engine, any of them are fine. You can spend twice as much if it makes you feel better, but PP, PU, M1 and M1 EP are state of the art. (Better than Valvoline? No. Worse? No. Again, it really doesn't matter.) What's more important than brand is oil weight/viscosity: IMHO, 5W-30 weight is a minimum prerequisite. Once you get past that, it's really just a matter of choosing your favorite color bottle.

bchaney
08-22-2011, 06:27 AM
I use Pennzoil Platinum because of all the good oil analysis on Bob is the Oil Guy forums. The Ultra sounds good as well but there are less oil analyses since it's relatively new. Not sure the difference between M1 and PU but I'm sure you could compare some oil analyses on BITOG and see which performs better, there are a lot of K-series engines on there.

STP03BlueSI
08-22-2011, 08:00 AM
The dealership is having me test it in my hatch...guess to see if its true.

bchaney
08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
If you end up getting the used oil analyzed I'd be interested in the results.