PDA

View Full Version : Spudering, stalling, bogging, and finally a CEL

03civicdopejmd
08-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Alright, I hate to make another thread for a hesitant engine. But, I'd like to make it to the BBQ on saturday, but Im scared to driving it 100milles back and forth.. Im sure you may have read this mess on another forum, but I need this figured out ASAP, this is also at the moment my DD.

I got a little problem and I'm tryin to pin point it, was wonding if anyone had any suggestions? Suddenly the other day while accelerateing up a steep mountain road..It starts to bog out, slam on the gas it got worse. I some how managed a ten mile trek home. And then it stalled. I removed the ecu fuse and it started back up.. Its hard to start and still bogs.. we thought "my mechanic and myself" that maybe the map sensor went bad.. It still runs, but you cant punch it, it hesitates or bogs-stays at the same rpm and goes no where. I got fuel injector cleaner.. It just got inspected 2 days before this mess.. Fuel pump humms when you turn the car on. And I mean it runs ok, unless you need to go- im stuck granny shifting, but its still hard to start really hard and getting worse by the day.. Im replacing the map sensor tomorow afternoon..

Mapsensor replace, spark plugs replaced, we checked the pump and the lines today and theyre running fine.. But its still hard to start.. Like its bogging out when trying to start it. It will even jump around, the whole car will shake then it stalls out.

I can get on it good now in first and the a little hesitant in second, third im good till like 5k and then it bogs a little-and fourth and fifth ten to bog when you give it alot of gas. Really hard to start, it starts after while.. Second chance at it-it spudder on!

Im buying used but working injectors this evening, and my mechanic is seeing if the o2 is wacked today....

CEL is on for running lean.. I have a k20a3 with just a Mugen intake and a custom intake duct. Is it possible its pulling to much air? But wouldnt that make it run rich? I think its doing both... runs way to rich when you start it and then runs super lean when you punch it!

Any suggestions would be apprecaited.. Im super lost and not a real big engine buff... but can certainly understand what you guys say! Thanks alot!

talonXracer
08-22-2011, 09:16 AM
With that very limited mods I highly doubt the intake is a lean condition cause, that is more than likely a faulty o2 sensor or jumped timing.

What is the CEL, we need the precise PXXXX number.

LOL, and what the "F" is wrong with all the people these days with their spelling, there is no such word as "spudder", what is it doing shooting potato spuds out??? NO it is spelled and pronounced, SPUTTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

03civicdopejmd
08-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks.. Now check out my grammer!!! I wasnt a winner with engish class... It makes alot of sense why I couldnt search spuddering LMFAO.. I was in a hurry and and didnt use spell check...spudder is a word tho..I used it incorrectly completely. Im being sarcastic, but in a good way.. dont get huffy

spud·der 
noun
1. a person who prepares and operates a rig for drilling oil wells. LMFAO

Im workin on the code, now just waiting to here from my mechanic..

03civicdopejmd
08-22-2011, 02:07 PM
P01701?

or p1701

He checked the o2 and thats all good. He cleaned some of the sensors and the throttle body.. It runs better, but still drags ass in 4th and 5th

Ba82Ep3
08-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Im with Doug on this... sounds like the timing. Set the crank pulley at TDC (the mark on the pulley to the arrow on the timing cover), pull the valve cover and look at the cam gears to see if the line at 3 o clock on the EX gear lines up with the line at 9 o clock on the IN gear.

Turn the crank pully clockwise ONLY to reach TDC. DO NOT turn it counterclockwise to try and make it line up. Go all the way back around clockwise and take your time when you get close.

My logical thought? Youre prolly getting a lean code because there is more air in the chamber because the ECU thinks the valves are open less than what it physically is because the timing skipped. Under load this would be worse... which is why it bogs the more you add throttle...

03civicdopejmd
08-22-2011, 02:49 PM
thanks Ill look into this tomorrow.. I dont wanna f up, so Ill have my mechanic watch!

talonXracer
08-22-2011, 02:54 PM
You do mean P0171?

Check the fuel pressure, this will require adding a pressure gauge to the fuel line, the test gauge has a male and female connector and it is added between the fuel rail and fuel line after disconnecting the stock line. Also check the EVAP purge valve on the TB for leaks/broken wires etc. Also check and make sure the PCV is functional.

What plugs are you running? Remember that it is Iridium only, leave the craptastic platinums for the old school engine platforms.

03civicdopejmd
08-22-2011, 05:40 PM
im running ngk iridium I believe.. Thanks for all the help guys! Ill check the valve tomorrow. He cleaned the TB today, so I think he would of noticed something but, you never know! I also picked up some injectors. They were local and cheap.. Cleaning them now! Althought that may not be the problem, I thought why not? As much as I dont like my car running. This sure is interesting stuff! My man also said he planned on checking the fuel pressure tomorrow. He didnt have time today between other cars. I never do things I dont know how to do without proper supervison!

junevtec
08-22-2011, 06:00 PM
sounds like a timing chain tensioner fail skipped a tooth thus causing your car running under powered also pull the spark plugs out and check to see if they are gapped correctly one may have gotten close or fouled causing these issues happened to me on my turbo integra lsv

junevtec
08-22-2011, 07:42 PM
didnt notice u changed the plugs already we can rule that one out sorry

talonXracer
08-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Why dont you try pulling the ECU/FI fuse in the underhood fusebox, wait 1 minute and reinstall the fuse and do a idle relearn.

03civicdopejmd
08-23-2011, 02:47 AM
yeah, we pulled the fuse, I unplugged that battery the other night for a good hour.. and it still came on. I believe Im getting the code when I start the engine.. Cause by god is it hard to start! Takes me a good 2-5mins to get it going.. its stumbles for about 30 seconds and then revs up to 2kand drops while warming.. I can granny shift it all day! Just cant get on it, and its hard to start.. injectors and fuel pressure are being checked today. Im going to have to read up on the idle relearn while Im at work today! Cheers, fuck its early!

03civicdopejmd
08-23-2011, 02:04 PM
found out today that my fuel psi was 20.. not good, ordered a new unit and strainer for tomorrow.. I wanna rule this out before i start messing around with other things! Were pretty certain it is!