PDA

View Full Version : Caster Alignment issue with coilovers HELP

[Sip]
08-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Hey guys, I really need some help here. I have a Function & Form Type 2 suspension that was just recently installed on the car. The front coilovers come with camber plates. I went to a shop to have the wheels aligned, and they told me that my caster is off and that I’m going to need additional parts to get that adjusted, and therefore they won’t touch anything until I get those on the car. I have never come across this issue when swapping out to coilovers on any cars that I have owned in the past.

Could anyone help me out with this? I’m no alignment expert, and I’m a bit confused. One thing to note is that I previously ran stock shocks with Eibach Sportline springs. One of the springs in the front cracked, and I had to wait a while before my coilovers came in by mail. Could that side have messed something up with regards to the caster.

I would really appreciate any help at all. Thanks very much in advance!!!

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
08-22-2011, 07:02 PM
You cant adjust caster on the ep. (not that i know of correct me). When i had my alignment done i was told in-order to have my caster in spec i would have to raise my car an inch. Hope this helps

[Sip]
08-22-2011, 07:41 PM
You cant adjust caster on the ep. (not that i know of correct me). When i had my alignment done i was told in-order to have my caster in spec i would have to raise my car an inch. Hope this helps

Thanks a lot! I read something similar elsewhere, so that's what I thought...

sLiCk
08-22-2011, 09:10 PM
For the most part caster is not adjustable. The subframe does have very minimal movement that can change caster. Do you know the readings as it sits now? There really is no reason for caster to be out of wack unless something is bent.

27rocks
08-22-2011, 09:39 PM
You cant adjust caster on the ep. (not that i know of correct me). When i had my alignment done i was told in-order to have my caster in spec i would have to raise my car an inch. Hope this helpsRaising your car wouldn't have solved any caster issues.
We have pretty much none that can be adjusted. You can try to move the sub frame as far forward as possible but that will only yield a hair if any at all. I would tell the guys to either finish the job because there is no way to fix the problem or give you your car back.
ITR LCA will give you a little caster plus camber but then you need another hand full of other parts to go along with it.

talonXracer
08-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Lowering or raising the suspension will most assuredly change the castor.

[Sip]
08-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks a lot for the quick replies, guys! Sorry, I didn't get back earlier. Had a rough week.

For the most part caster is not adjustable. The subframe does have very minimal movement that can change caster. Do you know the readings as it sits now? There really is no reason for caster to be out of wack unless something is bent.

The caster is:

2.2 degrees on the driver side, and 1.6 on the passenger side.

Before the whole incident of my spring cracking and having to replace the suspension, my caster last year (during alignment) was"

2.0 degrees on the driver side, and 1.8 on the passenger side.

Anyway, thanks again for all of your time and help guys. I really appreciate it.

27rocks
08-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Is this positive or negative caster you are having?

[Sip]
08-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Is this positive or negative caster you are having?

It's positive.

talonXracer
08-27-2011, 02:27 PM
I have seen people use camber plates to adjust the castor instead of camber.

[Sip]
08-30-2011, 05:03 AM
Hmm...well, in any case, I'm taking it back to the shop that installed the coilovers in the first place. They messed up the front install (so I can't even get the front alignment done at this point). Apparently, they said that they'll do the alignment there too...hopefully all goes well.

talonXracer
08-30-2011, 06:18 AM
The coilover install does impact the castor, but it isnt a mistake or poor install, there is no adjustment or a way to screw the castor up other than the normal castor changes when the vehicle is lowered, you need to CORRECT the USUAL castor changes seen when lowering.

nothing43
09-27-2011, 01:45 PM
I had the exact shock and spring Eibach sportline installed. Both front spring are gone now replaced with BC Coilovers, I had the same caster problem. The shop help me to do alignment but I cannot go stright as I got negative 2.6 caster on left side and 1.8 positive on the right side. Hope you can find out how to solve that problem.