PDA

View Full Version : Possibly replacing axles next weekend. Need advice

Mattlikespeople
08-22-2011, 07:47 PM
My car clicks and pops quite loudly at times when i'm accelerating from a stop, more often in reverse and almost always when reversing and turning like pulling out of a parking space. This is mostly coming from the front passenger side and has gotten progressively worse. I would like to know if replacing the axle(s) is the way to go, how to diagnose that it is, in fact, the axles making this noise and if it isnt that then what else could it be.

Couple of facts. '03 with no mods apart from intake and fart tube. ~75k miles. CV boots look completely intact.

If it turns out to be the axles then I was going to go to autozone and buy the remanufactured ones. Are these (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/2003-Honda-Civic-SI/CV-Axle/_/N-jktudZ6o2dc) the right ones? What tools would I need to complete this job and how long would it take for a novice?

Thanks in advance and sorry about the barrage of questions. :mangel:

hyu
08-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Tools for the job... Jack stands/jack, breakerbar, socket wrench, patience... I got manufactured axles too with lifetime warranty. Replaced them 3 weeks ago

JaydmEp3
08-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Tools for the job... Jack stands/jack, breakerbar, socket wrench, patience... I got manufactured axles too with lifetime warranty. Replaced them 3 weeks ago

how do u like the ride bettr? I went to a shop n had them put new ones but not oem. if I woulda been smarter I should jus have mine rebuilt cuz for both left and right installed ran me about 300ish. and dnt feel like my stock ones.

gtolio
08-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Typically when you do rebuilt ones, you buy them and just give them your old axles as a core charge when you're done. You don't get your own ones back.

hyu
08-23-2011, 11:10 AM
how do u like the ride bettr? I went to a shop n had them put new ones but not oem. if I woulda been smarter I should jus have mine rebuilt cuz for both left and right installed ran me about 300ish. and dnt feel like my stock ones.

I don't know about the ride. Difference the clicking and grinding noise went away. But i installed my new refurbished axle when i installed coilovers. Refurbed were about 67 ish for one and core charge is like 10

trolling from the cellphone

WPB EP3
08-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I purchased a salvaged drivers' drive shaft, no core exchange. That may be a good option as well.

still going strong after 4yrs+

Mattlikespeople
08-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Cool story, bros, but what about some of my other questions like making sure it's the cv joint and not something else? Also, if only one is bad should I just replace that one or do both at the same time?

AKEP
08-23-2011, 10:23 PM
you would have to jack one side up and spin the wheel and listen to find out which one it is if you cant tell from just driving it.

you can change just one. no reason to replace both if you need to.

when/if you pull the intermediate shaft out, do so carefully so you don't mess up your axle seal. infact, just go ahead and get a new one. its like $7 and it will garantee you that it wont leak.

willy_akino
08-24-2011, 01:31 AM
its pretty easy to replace an axle. the only hard part that might end up happening is your axle popping. easiest way to pop them back in is use a spare tire and rotate till it pops back. goodluck!

shaba
08-24-2011, 07:35 AM
could also check pass motor mount to see if its blown

WPB EP3
08-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Also might wanna check if it's a wheel bearing (in the knuckle). Jack up the front and check both front wheels for play (horizontal).

edit: also, this may be stupid, but worth mentioning..verify all lug nuts are tight on both front wheels.

Mattlikespeople
08-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Finally some helpful responses. I will check all of these things and will report back after I do this.

WPB, just had my bearings replaced and just painted my wheels so I KNOW that isnt the issue :) Wheels turned out great for my first time, too