PDA

View Full Version : Axle question

knowgood
08-23-2011, 08:26 PM
I went to replace my driver side axle and found that the next axle doesnt have the have spline that goes into the transmission in it. Dont quote me on calling it a spline but it's the smaller shaft on the inboard portion of axle that goes into the transmission. Is there anyway to remove the old one and reinstall it into the new shaft?

AKEP
08-23-2011, 10:12 PM
um, did u get a NEW axle? pics?

Ba82Ep3
08-23-2011, 11:12 PM
The passenger side axle is two parts. The intermediate shaft (that fits into the transmission) and the actual CV axle (from intermediate shaft bearing support near the edge of the block to the passenger hub).

The intermediate shaft is reusable. The passenger CV axle pops out of the intermediate shaft just like the drivers CV axle pops out of the tranny. The intermediate shaft does not pop out of the tranny... it just slides in.

Separating the two can be a pain, so be careful as a replacement intermediate shaft is around $200.

27rocks
08-24-2011, 07:01 AM
From what i understand you either got a passenger axle and need a drivers one or like Ba82Ep3 said, only the passenger side has the intermediate shaft and the drivers side doesn't.

lbk02si
08-24-2011, 07:11 AM
The passenger side axle is two parts. The intermediate shaft (that fits into the transmission) and the actual CV axle (from intermediate shaft bearing support near the edge of the block to the passenger hub).

The intermediate shaft is reusable. The passenger CV axle pops out of the intermediate shaft just like the drivers CV axle pops out of the tranny. The intermediate shaft does not pop out of the tranny... it just slides in.

Separating the two can be a pain, so be careful as a replacement intermediate shaft is around $200.

you must be :smokin: that good stuff lol! why are you taking the intermediate shaft off with the passenger side axle? yea its a little different length, but they aren't the same piece, we removed and replace mine without ever touching the intermediate shaft.

Ba82Ep3
08-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Depends. If im pullin an engine I leave the intermediate shaft and passenger axle assembled and pull them as one piece. If im just replacing the passenger axle, I leave the intermediate shaft attached to the block.

Either way I was just trying to cover all the bases on the OP's question.

knowgood
09-12-2011, 08:07 PM
so ive been gone for a lil while but now im ready to get this shit fixed. im pretty sure my cv joint is fucked. but here are some pics to help out with the rest of the equation.

this is a pic from the seller of the actual axle i bought. drive shaft shop part# 4019N driver side cv axle
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/supercivicstack/IMG_20110411_170348.jpg

not a picture of the axle but the new one is missing the smaller shaft on the left side of this piece.
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/supercivicstack/IMG_20110411_171933.jpg

so my question is. can i remove the small shaft and install in into the new one?

27rocks
09-14-2011, 07:46 PM
The "small" shaft if supposed to be attached to the axle. It's the inner part of it and its supposed to have a dust boot covering it too.
That's where it goes right?

knowgood
09-15-2011, 03:00 PM
I dont think theres supposed to be a dust boot covering it. But on the new axle its just an empty hole where that shaft is supposed to go.

knowgood
09-21-2011, 11:46 AM
nobody???

27rocks
09-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Can you take a pic of both the axle and the other part next to each other? I'm still somewhat in a haze about this whole thing.