PDA

View Full Version : found a turbo kit. help should i get it?

lemonhead228
08-25-2011, 09:07 PM
I found this kit on a local forum. I copy and paste what he said. " comes with everything needed to put on oil lines supply and return e manage blue eddition 440cc injectors turbo header down pipe bov everthing to bolt on and go no tuneing is needed the e mange tunes it for u it's a none intercooler set up for a stelth"

I read up on this forum and remember that if I get any bigger injectors than 330 than I need kpro.

I noob at turbo and Idk what's goin on lol any help is really appreciated.

lemonhead228
08-25-2011, 09:09 PM
For got to list the most important part. Its a gready kit

ep3steez
08-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Depends on your plans for the future..
Regardless, you want an intercooler, E-Manage sucks (get K-Pro), and greddy limits the amount of power you'll be able to achieve. It's more of a daily driver/reliable turbo.
All up to you.

blueandgoldep3
08-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Regardless, you want an intercooler, E-Manage sucks (get K-Pro), and greddy limits the amount of power you'll be able to achieve. It's more of a daily driver/reliable turbo.
All up to you.

ive actually heard good things about those greddy kits, agree a k-pro is the way to go its just so damn expensive when on any other civic you can just flash it or chip it lol but out of curiosity how does greddy limit the amount of power?... also ive seen the ebay turbo kits (poop) but ive actually come across one or two that come with a turbonetics turbo rather than some no name brand... i always felt as though if i were to buy a ebay turbo kit , id buy a legit turbo (garrett, turbonetics etc...) a hks bov and tial wastegaste and use the rest of the parts from the ebay kit for the install, what are your thoughts on that?

catlin
08-26-2011, 04:07 AM
With any turbo kit on an a3 you are really limited to about 300whp for a safe setup. The greddy kit limits your options because of the size of the turbo. The turbo is small, but because of the size there is little turbo lag. Again it is really what you want out of the car. I am currently running a greddy kit making 294whp at 12psi, i am also runnning larger injectors 580s. The greddy kit is a good starting platform for anyone that has never had a turbo'd car. I have been running the greddy kit for 4 years now, but plan in the future to do a motor swap and go with a much bigger turbo. You will hear this statement alot, once you boost you alway want more.

AUTiger
08-26-2011, 05:11 AM
ive actually heard good things about those greddy kits, agree a k-pro is the way to go its just so damn expensive when on any other civic you can just flash it or chip it lol but out of curiosity how does greddy limit the amount of power?... also ive seen the ebay turbo kits (poop) but ive actually come across one or two that come with a turbonetics turbo rather than some no name brand... i always felt as though if i were to buy a ebay turbo kit , id buy a legit turbo (garrett, turbonetics etc...) a hks bov and tial wastegaste and use the rest of the parts from the ebay kit for the install, what are your thoughts on that?

I have an EMUSA ebay turbo kit that I bought from someone for cheap, a rebuilt EMUSA turbo with garrett internals that I bought for super cheap and a tial wastegate that I got in a trade for my skunk2 cams. The welds on the intercooler piping are shit, but otherwise it should function just fine. I still need to buy $1000 worth of other parts. The big expenses in the remaining parts are injectors and a 3in exhaust fabrication. Then on top of the $1000 will be a $350-450 dyno tune. It still all adds up in the end. I already have k-pro and a CC stage 4 clutch installed on my k24a1.

Long story short, the EMUSA kit seems to be working pretty good for people, but isn't truly a bolt on and go affair. You will need to pick up some extras and get a good tune done. Maybe even replace some parts. Clubrsx has some entry level precision turbos for 620 shipped. You could piece together a kit with the precision turbo, EMUSA kit, and find a used tial wastegate and HKS BOV for less than the ebay kit with a turbonetics turbo.

AKEP
08-26-2011, 08:09 AM
I found this kit on a local forum. I copy and paste what he said. " comes with everything needed to put on oil lines supply and return e manage blue eddition 440cc injectors turbo header down pipe bov everthing to bolt on and go no tuneing is needed the e mange tunes it for u it's a none intercooler set up for a stelth"

I read up on this forum and remember that if I get any bigger injectors than 330 than I need kpro.

I noob at turbo and Idk what's goin on lol any help is really appreciated.
Get ready for lots of info and links that you kinda should have looked at first, and take everyones advice here into consideration. =]

All up to you.
Truth. Get Kpro.

Check my sig for the emusa (ebay) turbo kit.

With any turbo kit on an a3 you are really limited to about 300whp for a safe setup. The greddy kit limits your options because of the size of the turbo. The turbo is small, but because of the size there is little turbo lag. Again it is really what you want out of the car. I am currently running a greddy kit making 294whp at 12psi, i am also runnning larger injectors 580s. The greddy kit is a good starting platform for anyone that has never had a turbo'd car. I have been running the greddy kit for 4 years now, but plan in the future to do a motor swap and go with a much bigger turbo. You will hear this statement alot, once you boost you alway want more.
The 440's that you will be getting are only good up to whatever the kit was set up for, if you wanna up the boost your going to NEED bigger injectors.

I have an EMUSA ebay turbo kit that I bought from someone for cheap, a rebuilt EMUSA turbo with garrett internals that I bought for super cheap and a tial wastegate that I got in a trade for my skunk2 cams. The welds on the intercooler piping are shit, but otherwise it should function just fine. I still need to buy $1000 worth of other parts. The big expenses in the remaining parts are injectors and a 3in exhaust fabrication. Then on top of the $1000 will be a $350-450 dyno tune. It still all adds up in the end. I already have k-pro and a CC stage 4 clutch installed on my k24a1.

Long story short, the EMUSA kit seems to be working pretty good for people, but isn't truly a bolt on and go affair. You will need to pick up some extras and get a good tune done. Maybe even replace some parts. Clubrsx has some entry level precision turbos for 620 shipped. You could piece together a kit with the precision turbo, EMUSA kit, and find a used tial wastegate and HKS BOV for less than the ebay kit with a turbonetics turbo.

we choose this ebay kit because the intercooler piping is prefabbed to fit. sometimes the welding isnt spectacular but its better than getting a box of 90* bends, j pipes, and U pipes.

once you buy all the extra stuff like map sensors, injectors, and all that (list is first post on the emusa thread) you are set to go.

im not trying to push you into an ebay kit, just letting you know its not a BAD choice if you decide you dont want the greddy.

you could get the greddy turbo kit and the emusa intercooler kit , i heard all you need to fab is one pipe and it fits.

its up to you, that kit will get you in the turbo game. but you're gunna want more, and more costs $$$

Turbo 101 (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?59517-Turbo-101)
EMUSA Turbo Kit (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?60693-EMUSA-info?view=newest)

lemonhead228
08-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Yea I'm not planning on doing anything crazy with it. Just my dd but it would more fun if it has a lil more power. I might get it and install and save up for kpro and tune it later.

lemonhead228
08-26-2011, 09:36 PM
My final question before I buy. Is the kit plug and play wit everything it has now or do I need to get something

sleepy ep3
08-26-2011, 10:05 PM
My final question before I buy. Is the kit plug and play wit everything it has now or do I need to get something
I tried as hard as I could not to comment on this, but I have to. Listen to the people that have done it before. Let me break it down for you:
1. If you are scraping by, and looking for a cheap setup, or are going to be broke after buying the kit, DON'T GO TURBO YET. There are tons of parts you will need, no used kit is ever complete, parts might be fuc'd up, etc. Buy the right shit the first time.
2. The greddy kit is a slight improvement over a eBay kit, only in th fact that you get "some" namebrand shit. It's a tiny gt28 or equivalent turbo, and will not make you over 250 wheel horsepower without spinning the guts out of the turbo. Being it's a used kit, you will probably only get 6-7 months out of it anyway, which refers to my first statement.
3. Buy Kpro. Yeah it's expensive, but so is a new motor. If you say "I'm only going to run a little boost to keep it safe", first off, it never happens that way. You will try to turn it up once you get used to the power, and what's the use of spending all that money and time if you are only going to run a "little boost?"
4. Many people on this forum, myself included, have done what you are trying to do, and done tons of research already. It would be stupid not to listen to people that have already been in your situation.
5. Small injectors make big problems and small power.
That's all I've got for now....

j0000stin
08-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I tried as hard as I could not to comment on this, but I have to. Listen to the people that have done it before. Let me break it down for you:
1. If you are scraping by, and looking for a cheap setup, or are going to be broke after buying the kit, DON'T GO TURBO YET. There are tons of parts you will need, no used kit is ever complete, parts might be fuc'd up, etc. Buy the right shit the first time.
2. The greddy kit is a slight improvement over a eBay kit, only in th fact that you get "some" namebrand shit. It's a tiny gt28 or equivalent turbo, and will not make you over 250 wheel horsepower without spinning the guts out of the turbo. Being it's a used kit, you will probably only get 6-7 months out of it anyway, which refers to my first statement.
3. Buy Kpro. Yeah it's expensive, but so is a new motor. If you say "I'm only going to run a little boost to keep it safe", first off, it never happens that way. You will try to turn it up once you get used to the power, and what's the use of spending all that money and time if you are only going to run a "little boost?"
4. Many people on this forum, myself included, have done what you are trying to do, and done tons of research already. It would be stupid not to listen to people that have already been in your situation.
5. Small injectors make big problems and small power.
That's all I've got for now....

First off sleepy ep3 is right.

If your going boost It's hard to cheap out especially without doing your research.
And I fucking hate repeating myself but here it is again, GET FUCKING KPRO!!! DON'T CHEAP OUT AND USE EMANAGE!

I'm sorry but do some research. A good hr of reasearch will help you than making sudden decisions and that lead you to asking questions that have been answered a million times before

WPB EP3
08-31-2011, 07:23 AM
Definitely not.

lemonhead228
08-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Okay I decided not to get the kit even tho it cost 500.. thank you all for your response

03 inspire
08-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Agreed! and to add even to call greddy reliable is some what questionable sometimes because of the manifold although if you can get one with the full race upgrade those are actually kinda cool.. as far as ebay kits you do get what you pay for with anything in force induction there is no such thing as cheap and reliable or cheap and fast.

sleepy ep3
08-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Honestly, I would just look for a used full race, peakboost, or custom kit on club rsx if you are trying to buy nice stuff for a decent price. Expect to pay around 2-3k for anything worth bolting to your car tho, and then you will need engine management, which can run between 1k for kpro, or around 2k for aem. The k20a3 is good for around 280-300 hp max, we are not lying about that. Mine made 267 on a mustang dyno, on the rev hard kit, which new costs about 3700-3800, but it includes kpro. That's really all you need for a DD, unless you want to get crazy. I blew my motor up at the track like a boss. It's the only way to do it, lol.

AKEP
09-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Okay I decided not to get the kit even tho it cost 500.. thank you all for your response

i turned down a cybernation kit (everything needed minus kpro) for i think 800+shipping.

not gunna lie i kinda wish i got it and changed the IC piping out.

j0000stin
09-01-2011, 12:26 AM

thought the manifold has issues with cracking that isnt the biggest issue it has. the banjo bolt is the largest issue. i ran the greddy kit in 2 cars and both i had a slight leaking issue with the banjo bolt.

imo the greddy kit is a POS but its a cheap and easy way to have a quick car.

lemonhead228
09-24-2011, 03:31 AM
Aite guys some funny shit happen today... Like I said before, I made my decision on not getting the kit anymore. Tonight my sister and her bf surprise me with the kit I was about to get!! Lmao its kinda a meant to be situation I guess.
I guess Ima keep the kit since its a present and install it during thanksgiving.. its a good start I guess for now. I don't want anything crazy, as long its a lil faster than right now than I'll be happy.
I can always upgrade the kit to a bigger turbo, piping, intercooler, etc. later on.
Thank you all for you guys help lol

lemonhead228
09-24-2011, 03:33 AM
I'm planning on getting kpro next year so hopefully everything falls through

lemonhead228
09-24-2011, 03:38 AM
I'm going to run emanage for now tooo I save uo enough for kpro so calm down buddy lol

First off sleepy ep3 is right.

If your going boost It's hard to cheap out especially without doing your research.
And I fucking hate repeating myself but here it is again, GET FUCKING KPRO!!! DON'T CHEAP OUT AND USE EMANAGE!

I'm sorry but do some research. A good hr of reasearch will help you than making sudden decisions and that lead you to asking questions that have been answered a million times before

AKEP
09-24-2011, 08:13 PM
lol i read first post "stelth"

until you pop the hood...

lemonhead228
09-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Later on down the road I'm thinkin about getting a k24a2. Does anybody know if this kit is good enough for it?

AKEP
09-27-2011, 04:24 PM
it'll work. the turbo is starting to look tiny for that motor though.

mitchlikesbikes
09-27-2011, 05:28 PM
lol i read first post "stelth"

until you pop the hood...

good way to make less power sound sweet. less power is totally worth being "stelth" hahaha

lemonhead228
09-28-2011, 11:00 AM
good way to make less power sound sweet. less power is totally worth being "stelth" hahaha

Lmao I'm looking for a intercooler kit right not so it's not gonna be stealth anymore.

I was wondering if I get f-I cams for the a3, later on when I swap, would they bolt on the k24a2

lemonhead228
09-28-2011, 11:03 AM
it'll work. the turbo is starting to look tiny for that motor though.

Yea I can imagine, if I can find a good deal on a bigger turbo later than I would definitely upgrade it along 3' pipes.

AKEP
09-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Lmao I'm looking for a intercooler kit right not so it's not gonna be stealth anymore.

I was wondering if I get f-I cams for the a3, later on when I swap, would they bolt on the k24a2

no, a3 cames are 2 lobe and k20/24a2 cams are 3 lobe.

mitchlikesbikes
09-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Yea I can imagine, if I can find a good deal on a bigger turbo later than I would definitely upgrade it along 3' pipes.

wait so is it a greddy kit? cause finding a bigger turbo to fit their retarded manifold would probably be a royal pain in the ass.

lemonhead228
09-28-2011, 03:44 PM
no, a3 cames are 2 lobe and k20/24a2 cams are 3 lobe.

Okay thanks for clearing that up for me.

lemonhead228
09-28-2011, 03:46 PM
wait so is it a greddy kit? cause finding a bigger turbo to fit their retarded manifold would probably be a royal pain in the ass.

I thought that all the manifolds are the same and I just swap turbos. I guess not. I'm such a noob on turbos!

mitchlikesbikes
09-28-2011, 04:19 PM
I thought that all the manifolds are the same and I just swap turbos. I guess not. I'm such a noob on turbos!

yeah the flange for the greddy is different. but you could upgrade to a t3 style log mani like emusa for cheap or revhard for a little more $ + external wastegate if you wanted to upgrade turbos. that's the thing with turbo kits, unless you get a really good deal(like you did) it's better to just start off with the good stuff.

lemonhead228
09-29-2011, 06:41 AM
yeah the flange for the greddy is different. but you could upgrade to a t3 style log mani like emusa for cheap or revhard for a little more $ + external wastegate if you wanted to upgrade turbos. that's the thing with turbo kits, unless you get a really good deal(like you did) it's better to just start off with the good stuff.

Yea thanks for acknowledging that, my bro-in-law got me the complete kit for $400 with low miles! And that person drove 3 hours to my house just to sell it! Ever since they gave me my turbo I couldn't stop thinkin about boost lol

But for now, I'm saving up for intercooler and kpro!

AKEP
09-29-2011, 01:27 PM
pretty good!

lemonhead228
09-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks man. I'm happy cuz it was free lol can't beat that.. anybody knows how much hp/tq these kits produces wit just bolt ons? I seen some YouTube vid but it was on dc5 and fg2 but no Ep

I prolly just gonna run stock internals till I get the swap

mitchlikesbikes
09-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks man. I'm happy cuz it was free lol can't beat that.. anybody knows how much hp/tq these kits produces wit just bolt ons? I seen some YouTube vid but it was on dc5 and fg2 but no Ep

I prolly just gonna run stock internals till I get the swap

with an intercooler and a good tune on the k20a3 you can make a solid 250 without spinning the shit out of the turbo. anything over 275 is definitely pushing it

lemonhead228
09-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Is that to the crank or wheels? Either way 250 sounds good lol I just want to have a lil fun. I just purchase some t-bolt clamps for my pipes and after I get the intercooler, plug up the boost controller and crank it up to 10 psi to be on a safe side but also enough to make more power

lemonhead228
09-30-2011, 11:37 AM
I been thinkin bout my car and I change my mind on the swap. I'm go k24a1 since its cheaper and its good for boost!

lemonhead228
10-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I been debating on my exhaust set up. I currently have stock but I have an 06 dc5-s mid-pipe &axle back sitting in my garage. I'm question is should I sell it and get a 2.5 mid-pipe so I can get better air flow or just get a 3" mid-pipe? But than again if I go with 3" I'm thinkin I might lose some low-end tourque but gain on top.