PDA

View Full Version : IAC on throttle body hitting fan shroud

the1986
08-26-2011, 05:41 PM
So I keep running into problems after problems with my build...

Today I went to install the radiator and the fan shroud is hitting the connector for the IAC on the throttle body. I'm running a Skunk2 IM & TB

Pics:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/the1986/L1040636.jpg
the radiator is held about an inch and a half out too far at the top:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/the1986/L1040637.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/the1986/L1040638.jpg

I don't have AC anymore, so I took out that fan, I'm thinking Ill have to put it back in and re-wire it up to function as the normal fan, but im not sure if that will provide enough air flow

Anyone have any suggestions?

RHCP0801
08-26-2011, 05:45 PM
shave the corner of that plastic piece

the1986
08-26-2011, 06:06 PM
I think the fan would contact the connector if I do that... I considered it but I dont want the fan to hit the connector

talonXracer
08-26-2011, 06:20 PM
You will need to go with a remote IAC setup. Basically it is nothing but two plates, one that mounts to the TB and one the mounts to the IAC and it has two -8 nipples on each plate with short pieces of tubing for the idle air to reach engine. The heater section is disabled.

Junk2

j0000stin
08-26-2011, 06:30 PM
yeah! what he said! hahaha

the1986
08-27-2011, 11:17 AM
You will need to go with a remote IAC setup. Basically it is nothing but two plates, one that mounts to the TB and one the mounts to the IAC and it has two -8 nipples on each plate with short pieces of tubing for the idle air to reach engine. The heater section is disabled.

Junk2

So I should just fab up a couple plates in the shape of the IAC valve, and tap them with the -8 nipples? seems easy enough, I assume i should get a couple oem gaskets to use to mount them to the plates? I've already bypassed the coolant so thats not an issue.

Has anyone done this before that I could reference? looking at the Honda Manual it appears there are 3 ports of the IAC, I assume I would tap into the two ports closest to the IM, it looks like those are the ones that flow air, and the other one is for coolant, that correct?

talonXracer
08-27-2011, 11:48 AM
That is correct, the forwards cavity is for the TB heater.

Find some aluminum plate and fab your own, you dont even have to use AN lines or fittings, you can use brass fittings and rubber tube. There are several companies that carry them or something similar. HR, SCTuned etc the smaller more specialized companies.

I made one out of a single block of aluminum to mount the IAC at 90 degree to it's original mounting. I even fabbed up a flat plate to utilize the Element IAC(it has the connector on the opposite side, closer to the engine.)

Get creative!

monjarassi
08-27-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't have AC anymore, so I took out that fan, I'm thinking Ill have to put it back in and re-wire it up to function as the normal fan, but im not sure if that will provide enough air flow

Anyone have any suggestions?

Well here's my suggestion from my experience, the fans both activate under the same harness with or with/out ac, i also removed ac and am running the 12" slimfans from slimfans.com and they even come with a honda clip for plug and play, check out my thread i have it on there as for the iacv i too hadd fitment issues with my rbc and the connector would hit the radiator support in the middle so i flipped it around like the connector part facing the engine, i got my sources from k20a and it works the same if u want to still keep it and not go to the troubloe from bypassing. I hope this helps out and if u need pics of the position of my iacv ill post for u.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6086051685_fb812e85f2_z.jpg

heres when i had my issue b4 but my fans wouldnt hit no more it was the radiator support that did.

talonXracer
08-27-2011, 12:11 PM
The A/C fan does not come on when the rad fans turns on, it is ONLY activated when the A/C is turned on

the1986
08-27-2011, 12:17 PM
So even with the slim fans you had issues? I had thought for a second about flipping it around but I wasnt sure if it would line up right, or work correctly... so for clarification you just flipped the IACV around and it worked? did you have to mod it at all?

Im looking through your thread right now, but 20 pages is alot to sort through.

the1986
08-27-2011, 01:36 PM
I found this over on k20a, seems like the perfect answer for what I need

http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/K-Tuned-IACV-Rotation-Plate_p_80.html

Just not sure if I want to pay for this or try to do something myself... I think I'd rather just buy it and not have to fabricate anything...

talonXracer
08-27-2011, 01:55 PM
That will work perfectly. Kinda expensive for a piece of aluminum, but it requires no fabrication.

K-tuned also has an awesome billet TPS that is far less prone to failure like the other aftermarket ones as well as the stockie.

monjarassi
08-27-2011, 01:57 PM
The A/C fan does not come on when the rad fans turns on, it is ONLY activated when the A/C is turned on

Not to b rude or anything but both mine come on with out ac and i havent modded anything, But on kpro i have em to come on at 150* and i've been there watching both fans come on without the a/c on. I dunnno why..

So even with the slim fans you had issues? I had thought for a second about flipping it around but I wasnt sure if it would line up right, or work correctly... so for clarification you just flipped the IACV around and it worked? did you have to mod it at all?

Im looking through your thread right now, but 20 pages is alot to sort through.

I know but i have no issues with it rotated around so if u'd like to give it a shot it might help u.

talonXracer
08-27-2011, 02:01 PM
You are forcing both fans on with Kpro, but that is not how they work with a stock ECU, it is a feature of Kpro. I should have made that distinction.

monjarassi
08-27-2011, 02:02 PM
You are forcing both fans on with Kpro, but that is not how they work with a stock ECU, it is a feature of Kpro. I should have made that distinction.

yea i have them forced at that temp. I should've mention at first.

the1986
08-27-2011, 02:41 PM
That will work perfectly. Kinda expensive for a piece of aluminum, but it requires no fabrication.

K-tuned also has an awesome billet TPS that is far less prone to failure like the other aftermarket ones as well as the stockie.

Yea its a bit pricey, but I dont really feel like messing with fabricating anything right now... I'd rather just buy a part thats designed to fix my problem. I've looked at their tps before, its pretty awesome as well but its pricey too. I'll look into it when and if I have problems with my tps

I know but i have no issues with it rotated around so if u'd like to give it a shot it might help u.

So you just flipped it 180 degrees? I just took off my iacv and looked at it, the ports wouldn't line up right, doesnt look like it would function properly

monjarassi
08-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Yea its a bit pricey, but I dont really feel like messing with fabricating anything right now... I'd rather just buy a part thats designed to fix my problem. I've looked at their tps before, its pretty awesome as well but its pricey too. I'll look into it when and if I have problems with my tps

So you just flipped it 180 degrees? I just took off my iacv and looked at it, the ports wouldn't line up right, doesnt look like it would function properly

That might b cause u have a skunk tb... im on stock n its fine

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6181/6086718555_b761875e2e_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6085/6086717215_3261b96e8d_z.jpg