PDA

View Full Version : Struts are bad, replacement suggestions needed

hueyhy
08-26-2011, 08:16 PM
My ep3 is 03 with 118k miles on it. Today I went to a shop to do alignment, but told that my damper is bad and need to be replaced before doing an alignment.

Do you guys have any suggestions on some affordable and good struts? All suspension sets are OEM now, and I'm only going to replace two in the front. (the FR one was which the mechanic guy told me was wrong, but I'd replace a pair.) Or do you guys think replacing four together is a better idea?
Still don't know many brands, thinking of getting a set of KYB struts, is that good?

Can I just buy some OE replacement struts, and still use the factory springs and bump stop and mounts?
Which parts are to be replaced together? Don't know much about struts/shock absorber, don't know if those things (bump stop, mounts, bearings) wears much or can last very very long.

Any advice is appreciated.

j0000stin
08-26-2011, 09:23 PM
get coilovers

hueyhy
08-26-2011, 09:27 PM
get coilovers
the only coilover i can afford would be raceland, but it's also costs about 400. and some says its not that good? I go autocross sometimes, will those cheap coilovers be able to be pushed hard?

BTW, if I go for the coilovers, what else do I need? don't know those camber kits or "spacers" things that people talking about, seems complicated for me....

j0000stin
08-26-2011, 09:31 PM
the only coilover i can afford would be raceland, but it's also costs about 400. and some says its not that good? I go autocross sometimes, will those cheap coilovers be able to be pushed hard?

BTW, if I go for the coilovers, what else do I need? don't know those camber kits or "spacers" things that people talking about, seems complicated for me....

dont get racelands haha. i think they'd blow your first lap.

if your going to lower your car your going to need to get a camber kit, front and rear. spacers are only needed if your wheels hit your struts, im assuming you have stock wheels, you wont need spacers for those.

but if your just looking to get replacement struts get konis or even tokicos.

hueyhy
08-26-2011, 09:35 PM

if your going to lower your car your going to need to get a camber kit, front and rear. spacers are only needed if your wheels hit your struts, im assuming you have stock wheels, you wont need spacers for those.

good coilovers are not cheap and need $$$...
konis for EP3 only have inserts, that need some drill and cut work, is that worth it? (and with stock springs)

hueyhy
08-26-2011, 09:36 PM

konis for EP3 only have inserts, that need some drill and cut work, is that worth it? (with stock springs)

PatrickJamesYu
08-26-2011, 10:11 PM
konis for EP3 only have inserts, that need some drill and cut work, is that worth it? (with stock springs)

Yes, the Koni Yellows are very well designed.
Also, in the future you can buy springs for them for better performance and a more aggressive look.
The Koni's are also adjustable.

hueyhy
08-27-2011, 03:49 PM
another question, what else should I replace?(in this picture)
I suppose everything is stock and never been replaced. so they should been running for over 110k miles.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2311593/damper.png

NyCSnEaK
08-27-2011, 06:15 PM
I just did the Koni inserts a few months ago. It's been my favorite mod to date. If you are mechanically inclined, it's a fun project. Only issue I had with my install dealt with the strut housings. I needed 55mm housings to fit the Koni inserts. I teamed mine up with type-s springs, since dumping a car is not my thing. Only thing i need replaced after 90,000+ miles was the bumpstop on one side. I reused the other one. I would also get the koni rear shocks if, I were you.