PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers? Or sleeves and struts?

Popeye
08-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Would I be better off going with coilovers, like KSports? Or should I go with something like GC sleeves and some sort of struts, like KYB's? Im not going to get sleeves and Bilsteins. If I did that, then I would pay the exact same price and could get the KSports. I was thinking of the sleeve/strut set-up so I could still try to get camber kit(s), and tie rods.
I have been reading about different set-ups, and about all I can figure out is dont get Racelands or Megan coilovers. Sure, there are people that have both, and love them. Im not knocking either. I have just seen most people have issues with both. Other than that, people have one of a few different coilovers, sleeves, or just springs.
As with most people, I have a budget. If I ended up going with coilovers, KSports are $950 on Ebay. I wouldnt be able to afford anything else. Sure, I could always get something else in the future. Adjusting camber is a big deal for me. I live in the mountains, and it snows during the winter. I need to be able to adjust my height when it snows. I also want to be able to adjust my camber because I dont have the money to buy tires once a year. I have decided on my tires for my wheels I will be getting. They have a 40k mileage warranty. But if my camber is jacked up, I doubt they will still honor it. I want them to wear even for DD, but adjust it when I want to have fun in the mountains. So again, camber adjustability is a big deal for me, you know? I see that there are a few coilover kits that have FRONT camber adjustability, like the KSports. Which is what has me unsure of what to get. All I would need to do is get a rear camber kit as soon as I could. But then I see most people advise replacing the tie rods when installing suspension. At $150 for a set, I cant afford $300 on top of the $1000 for coilovers.
Needless to say, there is a LOT to consider. I like the advantages of coilovers, but the affordability of sleeves. WTF?! lol

MBaG
08-27-2011, 07:39 AM
From what I heard, (skunk2) sleeves ride harsh. I have Racelands (I got them just to lower my car), and I've gotten rid of all the clunking and coil binding so I have no problems with my current set. I didn't plan on driving it hard, but when I do take it up to the canyons, the spring rates are way too soft.

If you need adjustability, then I guess you'd have to get coilovers.

Popeye
08-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Cant you get different spring rates with the GC sleeves? Ive seen that the higher dollar coilovers are the ones that have adjustable dampening. (Over $1000 to me is expensive at this point.) So pretty much, I am going to have to go with the best I can do for under $1000. I was going to go with the Teins, but I have heard they are fairly soft.
I know Im asking a lot out of my money. Hell, I hate spending this much money on ANYTHING, really.
I was even going back and looking at just springs last night. But if you buy springs, struts, with a front camber kit, you arent far off the price of a coilover set. If I can get the adjustability with the sleeves, I will probably end up going with the GC's, and see if I can get a different spring rate. A rear of 500lbs was suggested to me. If I get that, along with a decent set of KYB's or something, I should be ok. HOPEFULLY...

mitchell_ep3
08-27-2011, 08:11 AM
look into the koni yellows, they are adjustable, i had regular kyb's and the ride was extremely bouncy.. koni yellows eliminated that. but i suppose the adjustable kyb's may help aswell.