PDA

View Full Version : High Mileage A3 and Reflash; Bad Idea?

BeaterEP
08-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Hey, just figured I'd post up and see what folks thought.
My baby is running pretty strong after all these years, but I've been looking for a little extra fun until it's swap time down the line.
I'd been considering a reflash. I'm not tracking, and whether or not the rev limit is higher, I don't like to bang on it that hard anyway. :D So is there any reason to think a reflash would be bad?
Here's the current setup:
2003 K20A3 - 215,000+ miles
Comptech Icebox intake
2005 RSX-s exhaust (header/cat/midpipe) w/eBay loop muffler (can't remember the brand, it's the $80 Mugen knock-off :D)

So, what do the gurus think?

JaydmEp3
08-28-2011, 10:36 PM
good to kno that ur ep has 215k miles and still running..props to u big homie..hope mine reaches that high

idk id say fuck it..get kpro...haha if shes healthy why not. anybody else to chime in?

gamma6
08-28-2011, 11:32 PM
If u plan to swap then just get kpro... u can always sell it, if u decide not to swap... id get a used one too

doubledouble
08-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Hey, just figured I'd post up and see what folks thought.
My baby is running pretty strong after all these years, but I've been looking for a little extra fun until it's swap time down the line.
I'd been considering a reflash. I'm not tracking, and whether or not the rev limit is higher, I don't like to bang on it that hard anyway. :D So is there any reason to think a reflash would be bad?
Here's the current setup:
2003 K20A3 - 215,000+ miles
Comptech Icebox intake
2005 RSX-s exhaust (header/cat/midpipe) w/eBay loop muffler (can't remember the brand, it's the $80 Mugen knock-off :D)

So, what do the gurus think?

I think you have the twinloop axelback. I'm considering it as well, do you have any sound clips?

As far as flashing . . . I'll let someone else chime in.

:D

BeaterEP
08-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Yeah, the brand popped into my head later on, it's the OBX.
Doesn't sound bad with the setup I'm running, honestly. Pretty decent throaty sound, not raspy like I was thinking it would be.

As for Kpro: new baby means the budget is fairly tight. This would be a down payment of sorts on full Kpro later on when it's time for the swap :D

EP3SiBoi90
08-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Hey I say go for it! I've just about reach the 170k mark with mine, and I reflashed at around 10-15k miles ago (I traveled quite a bit over the years when I got it). Just think of it as a step up with reflash; and not like a big ass jump with kpro. You'll benefit from it either way.

BeaterEP
08-29-2011, 03:07 PM
That's kinda the direction I was leaning in, just figured I'd post up, see if anyone thought it was potentially a bad idea, ya know?
Like, maybe I'm not considering something, or maybe someone has insight on why the switch to 91octane would be bad for a high-mileage engine...stuff like that.

But honestly, I don't think it should matter much; just a little extra fun under the hood until it's time for big boy pance and a swap down the road. :D

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
08-29-2011, 09:07 PM
I have the reflash and i am almost at 100k miles i have had reflash for maybe 8k miles and everything is good. I am also running a comptech icebox but with a dcrh and a t1r mid. Ypu will get pretty good gains and the extra revs is nice. I say go for it. Compared to kpro running a base kpro map the reflash is much better. However when i did smog my car with reflash running a stock header/cat the full benifits of reflash arnt there. If your gonna get reflash i recommend getting a race header

BeaterEP
08-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Yeah, that's also part of the short-term daddy budget plans, a RH.
Thanks for the input man!

RHCP0801
08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
I had the reflash for a while too, it was a nice ending to all the bolt on's I did. Back when I did the reflash it cost $600 so upgraded to kpro didn't seem like it was putting that much a dent in my wallet, after reflash came kpro with stage 3 cams than motor blew and now I'm k24a2 swapped so it all ended up working out in the end lol

EP3SiBoi90
08-29-2011, 10:31 PM
However when i did smog my car with reflash running a stock header/cat the full benifits of reflash arnt there. If your gonna get reflash i recommend getting a race header

My bad tread jacking just for a little xD I needed to see this. Gonna smog around dec and was hella worried that my reflash wouldn't allow me to pass smog. Now I feel reassured =D

BeaterEP
08-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Yeah RHCP, that's sorta the idea: reflash/RH short-term just to keep things interesting for a while, then once funds and parts are in place, see about a swap/SC.
Then we have the REAL fun.

blueandgoldep3
08-29-2011, 11:25 PM
not gonna lie, i was under the impression that the reflash for kmotor was bullshit and fairly expensive , i read a few reviews about them and people seemed disappointed with the results and felt though they should have just waited and saved for kpro, personally i think $1000 dollars for a kpro is ridiculous more or less any piggy back computer system its just highway robbery, but if your plans are to eventually go kpro i wouldnt waste my money on the reflash thats ($350 or so ive seen) towards getting the kpro wasted

RHCP0801
08-30-2011, 06:51 AM
it's not wasting money if your saving for kpro down the road because when you want to upgrade they discount the price you already paid for the reflash

BeaterEP
08-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Yeah exactly. Like I said earlier, it's a "down payment" on the full Kpro later. :D

T_Virus
08-30-2011, 12:15 PM
My bad tread jacking just for a little xD I needed to see this. Gonna smog around dec and was hella worried that my reflash wouldn't allow me to pass smog. Now I feel reassured =D

Don't worry, polorob smog his ep3 with the reflash and he passed. his mods were injen cai, stock cat, comptech shorty header and a customed exhaust

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
08-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Yeah my buddy is a smog tech he says a reflashed ecu will pass ca smog fine because it keeps all emissions stuff there and doesnt mess with any of the setting. K-pro will not pass smog if you change any of the emissions settings

sleepy ep3
08-30-2011, 05:21 PM
If u plan to swap then just get kpro... u can always sell it, if u decide not to swap... id get a used one too
I agree with getting kpro, but not buying used. You never know what's wrong with used stuff. I would not get a reflash, waste of money, more so if u plan on swapping. The difference with bolt on parts is minimal, but it allows for future flexibility. I really don't understand why people always want to cheap out when it comes to buying good parts. I'm not rich by any means, I had to save up for 4 months straight to buy the rev hard kit way back in the day, and a full year to do the swap I'm working on now. This cannot be stressed enough: BUY IT ONCE, AND BUY IT RIGHT.

BeaterEP
08-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Here's the thing.

I would not get a reflash, waste of money, more so if u plan on swapping. The difference with bolt on parts is minimal, but it allows for future flexibility.
If the difference with bolt-ons is minimal, what's the point of springing for the whole cost now? Since either choice, the reflash or Kpro isn't going to do much with just bolt-ons, and I have priorities other than car right now, why not just spend the couple hundred and get a little more fun out of my DD for the time being? Furthermore, you know what also allows for future flexibility? Cash in my bank account.

I really don't understand why people always want to cheap out when it comes to buying good parts.
This isn't about "cheaping out". It's about adding just a little something to my car for now, that will keep it interesting, but not break the bank. Maybe you didn't notice, but with a new baby around, my budgeting priorities are not in the automotive performance market at the moment. This is just a little something extra I can do while sticking to a tighter budget.

I'm not rich by any means, I had to save up for 4 months straight to buy the rev hard kit way back in the day, and a full year to do the swap I'm working on now. This cannot be stressed enough: BUY IT ONCE, AND BUY IT RIGHT.
Hey, neither am I. But I don't know what your situation is, and you don't know what mine is. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for me. Our bills/expenses/cost of living/et al could be miles apart. Furthermore, what about tuning? There are, generally, additional costs associated with tuning a vehicle once Kpro is installed, right? I mean, sure, you could just run one of the canned tunes, but then you're not getting the full potential out of it, right?
Logic, son.

Listen, I started this thread to ask a specific question; will the alterations made by a reflash threaten my particularly high-mileage engine.
You'll notice that I didn't ask "should I just go full Kpro?" Know why? Not interested right now.
As I've said already, I look at a reflash as the down payment on full Kpro later on, when it's actually needed for the build I have planned in future. A reflash now is a way of spreading some of that cost, while still getting a little something new and fun to play with now.

I appreciate your input, but don't come in here and start chastising people that are, at least, staying on-topic, k?
Thanks!

sleepy ep3
08-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Look here son, there's no need to get all butthurt about it. You asked for opinions, and I gave you mine. Sorry if it wasn't the one you were wanting. If you want to spend $300-400 on a reflash that will give you 2 whp, wtf do I care? If cash in your bank account is so important, then leave your car stock, and leave the modding to the cool guys. Maybe there will be a used taillight or shiftknob thread, where you can buy parts to keep your car interesting. And as far as "will a reflash hurt my high mileage ep" are you for real? K thx bye. Lol, wow.

USAF EP3
08-31-2011, 12:40 AM
Look here son, there's no need to get all butthurt about it. You asked for opinions, and I gave you mine. Sorry if it wasn't the one you were wanting. If you want to spend $300-400 on a reflash that will give you 2 whp, wtf do I care? If cash in your bank account is so important, then leave your car stock, and leave the modding to the cool guys. Maybe there will be a used taillight or shiftknob thread, where you can buy parts to keep your car interesting. And as far as "will a reflash hurt my high mileage ep" are you for real? K thx bye. Lol, wow.

Sir, I think you belong over at the mazdaspeed forums lol. Everyone over there is like you, except no one gets whiney...lololol.

sleepy ep3
08-31-2011, 05:44 AM
Sir, I think you belong over at the mazdaspeed forums lol. Everyone over there is like you, except no one gets whiney...lololol.
I'm just giving him shit, that's all. As far as whiney goes, im not sure i understand. Did you read his last post in which he tells me his life story, and how broke he is? But whatever, I'm glad beaterEp found a friend. Maybe you guys can meet up and suck each others stick shift while discussing how great reflashes are.

MugenReplica
08-31-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm just giving him shit, that's all. As far as whiney goes, im not sure i understand. Did you read his last post in which he tells me his life story, and how broke he is? But whatever, I'm glad beaterEp found a friend. Maybe you guys can meet up and suck each others stick shift while discussing how great reflashes are.

There is no need to go into insults. We are here to share a common interest, meet new friends, and enjoy our Ep3s.

BeaterEP
08-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Guys, let's not get into flame wars here.
Sleepy, I thanked you for your opinion, let's just leave it at that. If you don't like my explanations for why I'm interested in a reflash as opposed to Kpro, that's your deal. There's no need to get into name-calling.
If you want to explain why you think my original question is such a joke, feel free. Otherwise, thanks.

Movin' on.

talonXracer
08-31-2011, 07:06 AM
If you have a fair amount of bolt-on mods, then the engine and ECU will be far happier when the calibration is far closer to what is needed, ESPECIALLY during open loop operation!

Sure going full Kpro is better, but the reflash is far better than doing nothing to correct the calibrations.

BeaterEP
08-31-2011, 07:10 AM
As far as the high mileage question; am I just being paranoid? :D

EDIT:
Oooor, did you just kinda answer that question, and I'm missing that point?
lulz, reread your post talon and realized you were kind of addressing that, weren't you?

WPB EP3
08-31-2011, 07:12 AM
I would think so..

In the event your engine did let go soon after, whos to say a better set of engine instructions is to blame?

talonXracer
08-31-2011, 07:16 AM
Yeah my buddy is a smog tech he says a reflashed ecu will pass ca smog fine because it keeps all emissions stuff there and doesnt mess with any of the setting. K-pro will not pass smog if you change any of the emissions settings

NY state has emissions testing almost as stringent as Ca, without Kpro or a reflash the ECU's calibration is so far out of whack there are issues with passing because the test occurs in both open and closed loop. I NEVER had any issues passing a sniffer test and the state inspectors never had a clue that Kpro was installed.

BeaterEP
08-31-2011, 07:21 AM
Yeah WPB, hadn't really though of it that way.
Makes absolute sense though; better maps should mean a happier engine. :thumbu:

MugenReplica
08-31-2011, 07:24 AM
As far as the high mileage question; am I just being paranoid? :D

EDIT:
Oooor, did you just kinda answer that question, and I'm missing that point?
lulz, reread your post talon and realized you were kind of addressing that, weren't you?

No you're taking proper precautions....

1) Check your valve lash
2) Swap out your plugs if needed
3) Swap your timing chain unless you know it's 100% OKAY
4) Have your fuel injectors cleaned or buy some low mileage used 310cc injectors

I'm only mentioning those for 100% positive trouble free maintenance with the reflash. You probably don't need to do all of them, but if you did, there would be no issues running it at your mileage and your engine would be good and fresh for another 100k-120k.

BeaterEP
08-31-2011, 09:22 AM
Nice, good info man!
The lash is definitely OK, and the chain should be good to run for quite a while. (Just replaced the cams a few months back due to galling, swapped the TCT for an A2 unit while I was in there. Checked out the chain and it was good to go.)
And I've got a set of low mileage OEM injectors in the parts bin, figure I'll just get those cleaned and swap them in. Unless, of course, the 310s are a better bet. I thought the OEM injectors were OK for a reflash, as far as load/duty cycle goes. The 310s just a bit of over-engineering/peace of mind, basically? Or is there an actual performance gain (minimal, I know :D) to be had with the beefier injectors?

sleepy ep3
08-31-2011, 10:30 AM
There is no need to go into insults. We are here to share a common interest, meet new friends, and enjoy our Ep3s.
I'm just joking guys...geez. LOL

eternal780
09-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Don't worry, polorob smog his ep3 with the reflash and he passed. his mods were injen cai, stock cat, comptech shorty header and a customed exhaust

Yea I passed smog with comp tech header comp tech exhaust , and intake and rbc manifold and reflash .... Just make sure your car is really warm when you bring it in drive for about 20-30 minutes

mp_02si
09-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Nice, good info man!
The lash is definitely OK, and the chain should be good to run for quite a while. (Just replaced the cams a few months back due to galling, swapped the TCT for an A2 unit while I was in there. Checked out the chain and it was good to go.)
And I've got a set of low mileage OEM injectors in the parts bin, figure I'll just get those cleaned and swap them in. Unless, of course, the 310s are a better bet. I thought the OEM injectors were OK for a reflash, as far as load/duty cycle goes. The 310s just a bit of over-engineering/peace of mind, basically? Or is there an actual performance gain (minimal, I know :D) to be had with the beefier injectors?

I was wondering the same thing about the injectors???
BeaterEP you sound exactly like me man. I just had my second son and I know that formula and diapers come before car parts. I have basically the same plan as you. Install my dcrh, eventually get reflash, and run the a3 till it wont run anymore. I think the reflash is a good investment for all of us guys who cant justify to straight drop a grand on full kpro.

MugenReplica
09-03-2011, 08:37 AM
The two biggest performance "kick in the pants" parts for a NA K20a3 are a 5.062 FD & reflash. Then if/as money allows, add any RH, any exhaust and gut your stock airbox. You'd be surprised at how fast that combo is....

This is akilbrid. Before he sold his car, it had a K20a3, full bolt ons, and a ITR tranny with a 5.062 FD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IvwzYR4Be4&feature=channel_video_title

NEO_FOLLOWER2
09-03-2011, 11:03 AM
The two biggest performance "kick in the pants" parts for a NA K20a3 are a 5.062 FD & reflash. Then if/as money allows, add any RH, any exhaust and gut your stock airbox. You'd be surprised at how fast that combo is....

This is akilbrid. Before he sold his car, it had a K20a3, full bolt ons, and a ITR tranny with a 5.062 FD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IvwzYR4Be4&feature=channel_video_title

noob here but...how much does it cost to change out the final drive on stock a3?
i hate how high rpms are on the highway

but im in the same boat...i cant afford to swap engine/tranny or do kpro

so i gutted my airbox and im putting on a new midpipe to my stock exhaust
im just gonna drive my a3 till it dies

on a better note. i just got a bcss =D
greatest mod ever

MugenReplica
09-03-2011, 12:01 PM
noob here but...how much does it cost to change out the final drive on stock a3?
i hate how high rpms are on the highway

but im in the same boat...i cant afford to swap engine/tranny or do kpro

so i gutted my airbox and im putting on a new midpipe to my stock exhaust
im just gonna drive my a3 till it dies

on a better note. i just got a bcss =D
greatest mod ever

If you removed the transmission yourself and took it to a shop, to have them install it, it wouldn't be so bad. Otherwise, you're looking at a pricey installation. I'd guess over $300, but under $500 for the labor (that being based on labor rates in my region).

BeaterEP
09-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Wow...I'd say that vid pretty much speaks for itself. :mbiggrin:
So much for a simple bolt-on/reflash not doing a whole lot for the A3...I know MY A3 can't hit 110 that fast! :meek:

Nice!

mp_02s1; nice to hear I'm not the only one in this boat! :D
Picking up an ITR header next weekend while I'm in San Antonio, looking forward to it. Should be a little extra breathing room, without having to worry about emissions. (One of the few counties in Texas that runs emissions tests FTL)

willy_akino
09-04-2011, 10:47 PM
i thought of getting reflash but i ended up saving money for kpro. Kpro more fun and you dont have to spend 1,000$. just buy it used and im pretty sure you will find one for around 800$

BeaterEP
09-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Yeah maybe so, but still more than twice what I'm looking to spend :D (for now, that is)

apexracing
11-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Old thread but beater i'm in your shoes. 203k with bolt ons. But even adding a reflash i dont think it will be enough for me. Friend of mine has a k20z3 with 6spd lsd, low miles. I know the swap isnt going to be straight forward but its available and the price is right. that way i'll make the most bang for my buck. i would love to just buy a k20a setup with harness and ecu and just drop that in but i'm not rich, and my family must come first as well. Any who i've run 91/93 octane since ive bought the car, from what i've been told these two mixtures do not contain ethanol which fucks up most engines. The ethanol attracts too much moisture. And I have not seen any ill effect from running the higher octane fuel. Good luck with your endeavor let us know how it works out. I'm thinking of adding my air box back and gutting it, i've heard the gains are far better than running a short ram intake that i'm using now.