PDA

View Full Version : 5th gear popping out, 4th is kinda hard to engage

lbk02si
08-28-2011, 03:46 PM
So like the title says 5th gear is popping out, 4th is kinda hard to engage (little grinding etc). Any ideas??

27rocks
08-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Syncros for sure! I had this happen to my old civic and i pretty much just tossed the tranny and bought a new one lol. D-series trannys are cheap.

mitchlikesbikes
08-28-2011, 04:59 PM
483whp on pump gas.

now there's your problem. hahah:)

talonXracer
08-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Time to rebuild the trans, I am sure you will discover some more wear internally when you get it cracked open running 483whp.

Ba82Ep3
08-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Could be a combination of things really. The grinding is likely the sync, but there is a sync spring ring that aids in locking the sync sleeve in gear. If the spring is gone, then the sync will not work properly.

If your fork is bent it wont shift properly.

If you lost the retaining ball for the 5/6 shift fork it will allow it to pop outta gear.

If you have bad bearings at either end of the mainshaft, the slop will try and push it out of gear.

As already mentioned... you need a teardown and potential rebuild.

27rocks
08-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Could be a combination of things really. The grinding is likely the sync, but there is a sync spring ring that aids in locking the sync sleeve in gear. If the spring is gone, then the sync will not work properly.

If your fork is bent it wont shift properly.

If you lost the retaining ball for the 5/6 shift fork it will allow it to pop outta gear.

If you have bad bearings at either end of the mainshaft, the slop will try and push it out of gear.

As already mentioned... you need a teardown and potential rebuild.You could have just said he needed a new tranny lol

Ba82Ep3
08-29-2011, 01:00 AM
You could have just said he needed a new tranny lol

:tehe:

lbk02si
08-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Yea pretty much what everyone said is what I was thinking as well :(.

Looks like it's time to rebuild with ppg 1-4 and upgraded carbon synchros

Ba82Ep3
08-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Read up on the carbon synchros. Im not totally convinced the technology is where it needs to be for your HP level. It would just suck to be one of those guys that spent the coin for the setup only to find out months later that there is a 'new and improved' way to have the carbon bond to the sync.

lbk02si
08-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Read up on the carbon synchros. Im not totally convinced the technology is where it needs to be for your HP level. It would just suck to be one of those guys that spent the coin for the setup only to find out months later that there is a 'new and improved' way to have the carbon bond to the sync.

agreed! but unfortunately i don't have a lot of options in terms of waiting around, bc the tranny needs to be rebuilt before it totally takes a crap on me. but i can't imagine that the carbon synchros aren't heads and shoulders better than oem ones.