PDA

View Full Version : A2 cam swap into an A3

Bryan144
08-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Is it possible to do the A2 cam swap into the A3 head without using K-pro or the Type S computer? Or, do it with the Type S computer and no K-pro? Or, do I have to have both?

Ba82Ep3
08-28-2011, 07:01 PM
:flamet:

talonXracer
08-28-2011, 07:57 PM
You need to use the typeS ECU, otherwise the VTEC will engage far too low, not too mention the calibration will be all wrong,

Best that you spend a few hours/days reading up in the swap and engine sections here and over on K20A.org.

Bryan144
08-28-2011, 08:08 PM
I've read so much stuff on the cam swap tbh, maybe not enough but damn have I been researching it. Now I just gotta find the cams, the rockers and the ECU. I'm sure the ecu will be the easy part.

talonXracer
08-28-2011, 08:14 PM
I didnt catch that you wanted to retain the a3 head, the A3 head will not run with the A2 cams and rockers unless the pins are removed and locked into full time VTEC, there are no LMA's in the A3 head.

Bryan144
08-28-2011, 08:35 PM
I didnt catch that you wanted to retain the a3 head, the A3 head will not run with the A2 cams and rockers unless the pins are removed and locked into full time VTEC, there are no LMA's in the A3 head.

I'm pretty sure the A2 cams can be used as long as you use all 8 02-03 exhaust rockers instead of 4 intake/4exhaust. Just replace the intake rockers with the exhaust and they fit right in.

sleepy ep3
08-28-2011, 08:46 PM
:flamet:
^^so much truth

AKEP
08-28-2011, 09:39 PM
different vtec sir. just get a type-s head. or if you can find another a3 head for the intake rockers, but you would be better off with vtec killer cams as you can't run vtec on a 2 lobe like you're probably wanting to with a 3 lobe system.

i think im crazy, that probably doesn't work either. just read more. listen to talon.

arthur
08-28-2011, 10:00 PM
I guess what you are trying to do is a vtec killer setup. for that you will need kpro, and the exhaust rockers of a non vtec engine.

Bryan144
08-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Yes, the plan is do to a Vtec Killer setup to run Vtec on 1 lobe (the big lobe). I am currently looking for A2 cams and 4 02-03 Exhaust rockers to finish the swap and yes, I am getting Kpro too.

Ba82Ep3
08-29-2011, 12:57 AM
One lobe KILLS VTEC. You will have NO VTEC. (Not that the a3 has VTEC anyways... but yanno what i mean)

I will say i have heard of one person running the VTEC killer setup on the stock ECU (Onasty i believe)... but there is no telling if it runs properly unless you talk to him.

Sooo... lets assume to run it properly you will need...

1) KPro

2) Your choice of three lobe cams (a2/z3 etc)

3) You can lock your two lobe intake rockers, purchase and lock an entire a2/z3 rocker setup, or purchase four more exhaust rockers (depending on the style you get... you may need to modify the rockers for cam lobe clearance)

4) Another exhaust rocker shaft (for proper rocker arm oiling... this is debatable, and it may be another intake rocker shaft... i just woke up)

5) And to top it all off... a KPro KAL for the setup... and a tune. If i remember correctly there is a startup KAL on K20a.org for VTEC KILLER setups...

The VTEC killer setup is going to run like sh!t unless its tuned. I honestly dont think a stock ECU could run it properly. It would seem to me if it could then the setup wouldnt run like ass on a k20a3 KPro basemap... but it does. I would think dropping in a stock k20a2 ECU would make it even worse, for reasons already mentioned.