PDA

View Full Version : Type S calipers & rotors on 04 Ep3 : question for you track guys !

imthebro
08-29-2011, 07:45 PM
I've got a quick question regarding Type S calipers and rotors onto my 04 EP3. I know what is involved in terms of parts, but i'm curious about the performance gain.

The question is for those of you that have this setup and run track days with it:
(street use opinion is useless for me as this is a dedicated track car)

Did the increase in rotor size (from 10.4" to 11.8") yield a significant increase in braking performance (I.e. Fade resistance) ?

Short of a big brake kit, this could be a worthy (and much cheaper!) alternative to a big brake kit.

Long story, short I have quite a bit of brake fade on short technical tracks and I'd like to improve it.

feedback is welcomed.

talonXracer
08-30-2011, 06:29 AM
You will gain alot in the way of reducing brake fade, and it is hands down much better suited than most BBK kits that utilize the weaksauce stock calipers.

I live in the mtns and the stock brakes would start fading very quickly, I tried the stoptech BBK rotors with stock calipers and it was only a very, very slight improvement, went with typeS calipers/rotrs and it was greatly improved, then tried the Willwood rotors and calipers and seen no real improvement so i went back to the typeS setup when the Willwood rotors wore down(very quickly).

imthebro
08-30-2011, 07:27 AM
thanks mate!

2 questions for you:
- did you upgrade to a Type-S Master Cylinder as well ? if not, how was the pedal feel with the SI master cylinder ?
- The Type S caliper attaches to the stock 04-05 Si knuckle without modification right ?