PDA

View Full Version : cams?

xx_hatch_xx
09-02-2011, 04:23 PM
So my CEL is on, and I have a cyl 3 and 4 misfire. The problem is, everything is running fine and I changed out the plugs. The dang light will not go away. A recent visit to the shop let's me know that it's a cam problem. Should I be a cheapskate and just go for stock cams? Or do think it's time for a tune up?

I think it's time for a tune up. I'm just unfamiliar with the cam process. Any pointers? What can I do for a small amount over the regular cams? I heard stage 2 won't require new valves and springs. Truth?

AKEP
09-03-2011, 01:52 AM
i think stage 2's required kpro and stage 1's didn't.

check injectors?
check exhaust cam for galling? (idk if it matters buuuut odds are it is)
check valve lash?

i dont know how cams make you misfire, maybe some jacked up valves? I did a quick google and it says if your valve lash has 0 clearance and your valves aren't closing you will get a misfire code, which would make sense. Also a camshaft position sensor going bad would also trip this code?

i remember a while back someone had mis-shifted and over revved a little and it also tripped this code. probably from bent/burnt valves.

have you been using cheap gas? the users manual recommends gas from Shell, Cheveron, and 76.

it would really help if you gave us the diagnostic trouble code too.

if you want/need new cams, check out skunk2's videos for 15 minute k-series cam swap.

http://cms.skunk2.com/id/377/15-Minute-K-Cam-Swap/

found it for you.