PDA

View Full Version : Will mount insert protect my motor mounts?

hueyhy
09-03-2011, 08:43 AM
I just get the front mount (near the radiator) replaced, and I found the one on front right (passenger side) is badly broken and need replace. the one below the airbox (driver side one) have a little crack, just started, the mechanic guy said it's OK, and the rear one is good.
Now i'm gonna replace the broke one. But I don't know if it's better to get a set of mount insert to prevent the cracking one to get bad. it fills in the gaps of the rubber, so I suppose they can protect the engine mounts?

If yes I'll get a set and get them on when I replace the mounts. will they be easy to put on if I have access to a full lift?
I know it will give me lots of vibration, but I can live with it, and if it will be good for performance that would be a good bonus for my weekend autocross.

Just wanna know more about this.

BTW: i searched for some write-up on how to replace the front right mount, but found nothing. is it just removing the bolts there and put the new one in? seems not hard to do. but not sure if I need to loosen other mounts to move the engine a little bit.

AKEP
09-03-2011, 06:04 PM
There are not inserts for the side mounts. Just front and rear. You can unbolt that mount from the chassis and the spikes next to the engine and then jack up the engine (please put a block of wood under the oilpan/on top of the jack) to remove the old mount. Get an avid mount to replace it or oem Honda.

talonXracer
09-03-2011, 06:28 PM
I would consider a set of the AVID motor mounts, they replace both side mounts and the rear mount, perfect match with your new front mount.

hueyhy
09-04-2011, 08:44 AM
There are not inserts for the side mounts. Just front and rear. You can unbolt that mount from the chassis and the spikes next to the engine and then jack up the engine (please put a block of wood under the oilpan/on top of the jack) to remove the old mount. Get an avid mount to replace it or oem Honda.

Thanks. I'm going to replace with an OEM mount for the front left.
By the way, how long the tranny mount(driver side) would last if it starts to have some little crack? if more than one or two years, I would just leave it there. I hear that mount on the side don't handle that much force as the front and rear ones do?
Or do you think I'd replace the tranny mount too if there's some crack started?

hueyhy
09-04-2011, 08:52 AM
No intention to upgrade the mounts. budget is really tight, i'm even hesitating on the tranny mount, not sure to replace it now or just leave it there. just some cracks, but not broken yet. don't know if it will break very quick or can last for a while.
and it seems avid only have front, rear, and passenger side mounts, don't offer the tranny mount.

I would consider a set of the AVID motor mounts, they replace both side mounts and the rear mount, perfect match with your new front mount.

talonXracer
09-04-2011, 09:50 AM
You can remove the stock mount and sandblast the rubber and aluminum clean, you could also scrub it clean and then scuff it up, then use 3M WindoWeld to "fill in the cracks and voids" and with a few coats fill in the mount to create a far better mount than stock.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
09-04-2011, 09:55 AM
i would just invest in AVID mounts, u pay a lil more but in the log run its worth it, i paid $300 for all of them

BeaterEP
09-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Personally went the budget route: new OEM front and tranny mounts, with ESMM inserts to stiffen them up a bit and hopefully prolong the life.
I'm not running any serious power though; A3 w/bolt-ons.

AKEP
09-04-2011, 03:32 PM
The side mounts hold the weight of the engine and transmission, i would consider these way higher on the priority list than the front or back, since those only handle the engine torsion during acceleration/deceleration.

Honestly the passenger mount is oem garbage (50821-S6M-013), the avid is better and costs about the same, both are about $150 (JUST the rubber piece from honda, but you get a WHOLE NEW MOUNT from avid)

hueyhy
09-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll change both side mounts. Got anchor mount for $50 shipped for the passenger one. you are right if I'll have to spend like 150 I'd choose avid (will it be a problem that I mix avid with OEM mounts? like the OEM ones(weaker) will break fast?)
may consider an upgrade when I get over my personal financial crysis... spent more than 1000 on parts only for the car in recent month... tires, ball joints, clutch, two front struts, ball joints, now mounts.... seems I've changed everything that need to be changed with high mileage... coz I'm going to keep this car for at least two or three years, I think it would worth the money... as long as the engine can last.

The side mounts hold the weight of the engine and transmission, i would consider these way higher on the priority list than the front or back, since those only handle the engine torsion during acceleration/deceleration.

Honestly the passenger mount is oem garbage (50821-S6M-013), the avid is better and costs about the same, both are about $150 (JUST the rubber piece from honda, but you get a WHOLE NEW MOUNT from avid)

hueyhy
09-04-2011, 09:56 PM
How long it would probably take to replace the two side engine mounts? with a full lift and air tools.
is 2 hours enough ? (had some experience to replace my clutch, and know that mounts are really hard to deal with.)

hueyhy
09-05-2011, 07:53 AM
You can remove the stock mount and sandblast the rubber and aluminum clean, you could also scrub it clean and then scuff it up, then use 3M WindoWeld to "fill in the cracks and voids" and with a few coats fill in the mount to create a far better mount than stock.
I hope I can do that. but I don't have a garage. i can't just put my car there for 24 hours to wait the mount to dry. I rent a place to work, it costs $20 per hour... so time is money there -_-