PDA

View Full Version : 5 lug swap HELP ASAP!!

EP3CHRiS
09-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Hey guys, before i get started, i have a lead on a complete set of 04-05 EP3 Hubs for my own 2002. Now i know that
this can be done, but most of the time i see guys here with the type s swap. Now, just to clarify everything, i want to make sure i get everything i need. I need the hub assemblies, and front and rear rotors....Now, here's where i'm a
little lost....I have a link here that shows an exploded view of everything, do i only need number 7 in the picture?? what about 6, 20 and 19?? This is for the front.....For the rear, what do i need besides number 43?? If there is a DIY on this, that would be awesome...ANY other info would be great

http://i55.tinypic.com/29lbl8j.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/27y0nyd.jpg

Thanks guys

nitrious
09-06-2011, 10:00 PM
^^^ x2
I need this info also.. i have an 04 at my disposal that i can tear apart.. things just 4 hrs away and would also like to kno what i need to harvest from it.. ; )

Blue03Si
09-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Unless you have access to a press you will need to take the whole front knuckle assembly with all the brake parts attached. Just undo the brake line, undo the axle nut, separate the ball joint from the front control arm and unbolt the two bolts holding the knuckle to the front strut. The know assembly should now pull off. I think the axles are the same as the 02-03, but it doesn't hurt to take those just to be safe if you can. For the rear just unbolt the strut from the lower control arm, unbolt the top control arm from the top of the knuckle, and the two bolts for the lower control arm where the knuckle attaches. Undo the brake line and e-brake cable and the assembly will be free. That should do it for the rear. I also replaced all my bushings when I swapped since half the work is done. Just follow the type-s swap instructions for your install. Also get the correct torque specs.

303EP
09-07-2011, 10:03 AM
I dont mean to thread jack why couldn't somebody use the wheel bearing assembly from an 04-05 si and put it on a 02-03 si? Do the knuckles differ between the 5 lug and 4 lug?

Andrew
09-07-2011, 10:32 AM
I dont mean to thread jack why couldn't somebody use the wheel bearing assembly from an 04-05 si and put it on a 02-03 si? Do the knuckles differ between the 5 lug and 4 lug?

they might be the same since the rotor size is the same, but don't take my word for granted. look it up to be 100% sure

Blue03Si
09-07-2011, 10:33 AM

If you have access to a press you can do that. Most people don't and paying for a used assembly is usually way cheaper than new parts and labor.

EP3CHRiS
09-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Unless you have access to a press you will need to take the whole front knuckle assembly with all the brake parts attached. Just undo the brake line, undo the axle nut, separate the ball joint from the front control arm and unbolt the two bolts holding the knuckle to the front strut. The know assembly should now pull off. I think the axles are the same as the 02-03, but it doesn't hurt to take those just to be safe if you can. For the rear just unbolt the strut from the lower control arm, unbolt the top control arm from the top of the knuckle, and the two bolts for the lower control arm where the knuckle attaches. Undo the brake line and e-brake cable and the assembly will be free. That should do it for the rear. I also replaced all my bushings when I swapped since half the work is done. Just follow the type-s swap instructions for your install. Also get the correct torque specs.

Thanks for the help. So basically, i need to order new hubs, studs, and since i'm there, new bearings.....I do have access to a press, so that should be a breeze. I'll get new axle nuts too cause there a one time use thing.....anything else you recommend??

Blue03Si
09-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the help. So basically, i need to order new hubs, studs, and since i'm there, new bearings.....I do have access to a press, so that should be a breeze. I'll get new axle nuts too cause there a one time use thing.....anything else you recommend??

I know the 04-05s have different front brake caliper p/n's... don't know why or what the difference is, but that might be something to check out also.

mp_02si
09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
I just checked the prices for doing this with all new parts and even with my discount working with Honda it would still be cheaper to buy these parts used. Looks like I need to start looking for an 04/05 locally that I can mollest.

EP3CHRiS
09-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I just checked the prices for doing this with all new parts and even with my discount working with Honda it would still be cheaper to buy these parts used. Looks like I need to start looking for an 04/05 locally that I can mollest.

Thats true, to bad the 05 i was looking at was already sold as a complete unit......But, i was just shopping around doing some homework, whats wrong with Napa?? If places like Napa and Advance Auto parts sell this stuff, which they do,
whats wrong with going with these guys?? you'll save a hell of a lot of cash in the long run.....you can buy the hubs from Napa and the bearings from the dealer.....what you guys think about going "aftermarket"??

mp_02si
09-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Thats true, to bad the 05 i was looking at was already sold as a complete unit......But, i was just shopping around doing some homework, whats wrong with Napa?? If places like Napa and Advance Auto parts sell this stuff, which they do,
whats wrong with going with these guys?? you'll save a hell of a lot of cash in the long run.....you can buy the hubs from Napa and the bearings from the dealer.....what you guys think about going "aftermarket"??

Im sorry but when it comes to certain things I am an oem whore. I have not had a whole lot of luck though with aftermarket parts that are common service items. You have to use your judgement is all. Some things are good some are not so.

Blue03Si
09-12-2011, 08:27 AM

If you're going to go the used also look for 02-04 RSX's (same as the 04-05 Si 5-lug) or the 02-04 Type-S RSX for a big brake upgrade. CLUB RSX usually has a lot of part outs.

SkareKrow
09-12-2011, 09:57 AM
If you're going to go the used also look for 02-04 RSX's (same as the 04-05 Si 5-lug) or the 02-04 Type-S RSX for a big brake upgrade. CLUB RSX usually has a lot of part outs.

O:-) I recently bought everything for my conversion for 300$ all I need is type s axles.:smile:

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using TapaTalk Version 1.12.5c!

mp_02si
09-12-2011, 12:44 PM
O:-) I recently bought everything for my conversion for 300$ all I need is type s axles.:smile:

lol $300 didnt even touch half the cost of the parts brand new. I am going used for sure.

silver05si
09-12-2011, 12:49 PM
i no mine is o5 but still will input have done many of these swaps
i did drilled slotted rotors f/r ss lines pp vlave calipers an booster the best up grade i have ever done
its not that hard to do what u are doing i can get a full conversion for 200 at the moment but that doesnt include any new parts
includes axles rotors pads calipers an knuckle assmebaly no pp valve or booster witch is also needed in my opinion

Blue03Si
09-12-2011, 01:18 PM

I got my 5-lug swap including the conrol arms, trailing arms, and axes for 300. Just gotta shop around and don't pass up a deal if you find it.

silver05si
09-12-2011, 01:30 PM
200 is that a deal

Blue03Si
09-12-2011, 01:55 PM
200 is that a deal

Possibly, what all is included. lol.

silver05si
09-12-2011, 03:41 PM
knuckels rotors pads calipers and lines all from a type s o and axles

Blue03Si
09-12-2011, 03:46 PM
knuckels rotors pads calipers and lines all from a type s o and axles

I'm assuming you are an 05, so it's just the front then? Make sure you also get the ABS sensors. If you think its a good deal its a good deal, for 300 I also got the full rear swap as well including the trailing arms.

EP3CHRiS
09-12-2011, 04:41 PM
do i need to purchase 04-05 axles too???

27rocks
09-12-2011, 05:01 PM
do i need to purchase 04-05 axles too???All Ep axles are the same regardless of the year. Same can be said about the 02-04 base RSX.

It's also way cheaper to buy a used complete set off of a donor RSX then trying to piece everything together then having everything pressed in and out imo.

Blue03Si
09-12-2011, 05:07 PM
All Ep axles are the same regardless of the year. Same can be said about the 02-04 base RSX.

It's also way cheaper to buy a used complete set off of a donor RSX then trying to piece everything together then having everything pressed in and out imo.

What he said. The only time you need the axles is when doing the Type-S swap. If doing the 04-05 ep3 5-lug or 02-06 base rsx 5 lug you can use your own axles.

EP3CHRiS
09-12-2011, 05:17 PM
What he said. The only time you need the axles is when doing the Type-S swap. If doing the 04-05 ep3 5-lug or 02-06 base rsx 5 lug you can use your own axles.

All Ep axles are the same regardless of the year. Same can be said about the 02-04 base RSX.

great, thanks for the info guys, much appreciated

silver05si
10-01-2011, 04:32 PM
i no this is old but still got a five lug swap