PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about Beaks, LCAS, and sways

Danielsle
09-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Ok, so, I've never touched suspension before and I have planned to do a full suspension so I can AX. I was thinking of doing the beaks lower tie bar and skunk2 LCAs and a sway bar swap. My question is does everything just replace the stock oem tie bar and LCAS? Or do i need some modifiying or another part im missing? Also, are there good replacements for my sway bars?

JaydmEp3
09-07-2011, 12:06 PM
i think the beaks tie bar bolts up to the subframe brace no modification, as for the skunk2 lcas and sway bars they do replace ur oem ones. jus complete replace and bolt up.. (anyone correct me if im wrong)

as for good sway bars u can get some progress, comptech or tanabe..i believe..depends which size u wanna go and how much u wanna spend.

Danielsle
09-07-2011, 12:20 PM
as for good sway bars u can get some progress, comptech or tanabe..i believe..depends which size u wanna go and how much u wanna spend.

Ah now I didnt know there were different sizes to sway bars... I want to guess bigger=stiffer?

lemonhead228
09-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Yea but it also depends on if its hollow or solid.

lemonhead228
09-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes but it also depends on if its hollow or solid.

jed_averill
09-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Sorry to bomb the thread but is there an LCA, tiebar, sway bar combo that's made for DD? I feel like I'm gonna topple over freeway exits/entrances/junctions.

Danielsle
09-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Sorry to bomb the thread but is there an LCA, tiebar, sway bar combo that's made for DD? I feel like I'm gonna topple over freeway exits/entrances/junctions.

Haha I feel the same way. I love pushing the limits of my car on turns but sometimes I feel like im going to die.

WPB EP3
09-07-2011, 12:56 PM
stiffer LCA bushings will help you AX too.

lemonhead228
09-07-2011, 12:57 PM

Get a set of mugen ss and that will solve your problems(:

jed_averill
09-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Easy to say lol. Something cheaper than that man. IDC if it looks stock or anything, don't have to be a cool guy on the streets with my gold LCAs and tie bar that you can read... Unless they actually work haha

Blah1219
09-07-2011, 01:44 PM
stiffer LCA bushings will help you AX too.

Like he said you can get some spherical LCA bushings other than that the LCAs and rear tie bar are just for show. But the sway bars will definitely affect the way the car drives. The stiffest that I have seen around would be the type-r and the swift sway bars. Progess looks like the most popular then the tanabe. If you don't have a full dampening coilover system, you should look at that first. That might change your mind.

Zzyzx
09-07-2011, 01:58 PM
I have planned to do a full suspension so I can AX.

If you are truly planning on using the car for competition then do your self a favor and do not modify a single thing. Seriously, there is not a single part (aside from something that's broken) that will be slowing you down your first season of competition. So spend your money on seat time as that's where you are going to see the most gains.

Also, with out using the car on track you are attempting to tune in the dark... You have no idea how the car handles when used on track now, so trying to tune it now is effectively guessing...

just a few tips from someone who was once exactly where you are now.

Else, dont bother with the LCA's, they look pretty but are pretty much worthless. The only redeeming part of them is the bushings. Diddo with the lower tie bar. Its pretty, but doesn't do any thing useful.

As far as anti-roll bar tuning, well that's highly dependent on how you want to tweak the cars handling balance as well as how the rest of your setup is tuned. so that falls in to the Guessing part, as without having a baseline assessment of the car on track you really dont know what it needs... if anything.

03civicdopejmd
09-08-2011, 04:49 AM
progress makes great sway bar kits at a reasonable price, the rear kit includes a tiebar/plate so no need for the beaks.. Change up your bushings and buy the mugen ss kit.. I had it and it was amazing- Im not sure the exact numbers but the DC5 kit drops it a bit lower then the ep's I think.. I also agree with the guy below my post.. Once youve figured out what you need go from there

T_Virus
09-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Else, dont bother with the LCA's, they look pretty but are pretty much worthless. The only redeeming part of them is the bushings. Diddo with the lower tie bar. Its pretty, but doesn't do any thing useful.

I agree. I had the Skunk2 Gold LCA's and the tie bar and it didn't do any besides looking good. Now they are for sale locally.

mp_02si
09-08-2011, 02:29 PM
If you are truly planning on using the car for competition then do your self a favor and do not modify a single thing. Seriously, there is not a single part (aside from something that's broken) that will be slowing you down your first season of competition. So spend your money on seat time as that's where you are going to see the most gains.

Also, with out using the car on track you are attempting to tune in the dark... You have no idea how the car handles when used on track now, so trying to tune it now is effectively guessing...

just a few tips from someone who was once exactly where you are now.

As far as anti-roll bar tuning, well that's highly dependent on how you want to tweak the cars handling balance as well as how the rest of your setup is tuned. so that falls in to the Guessing part, as without having a baseline assessment of the car on track you really dont know what it needs... if anything.

Very good advice.
Also check out the sway bar sticky link in this section for more info on your stock sways and oem upgrades. There are options besides aftermarket. In the end though you just need to drive your car and tune it to your needs.

usedep3
09-08-2011, 03:59 PM
if you do decide to go this route, my brother is trying to sell his skunk2 LCA's, progress sway & tie bar, and beak's bar. let me know we're local and don't really want to deal with shipping if we dont have to

hyu
09-08-2011, 04:28 PM
^pmed