PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slipping?

Kis4KEN
09-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Oh Hai everyone,

So I think that my clutch is slipping. I know its not working correctly for sure. It's really temperamental. Most of the time, say while driving on the freeway and accelerating, I'll step on the gas, and my rpm will shoot up as if I were stepping on the clutch. Also, thought I'd mention that it seems like it slips especially while I'm turning. As well as any hot ass day like we've been having in Socal.

Was talking to some of my friends, who think it might just be the pressure plate. My current setup consists of ACT 6 puck, ACT heavy duty pressure plate, and lightweight flywheel (all parts are for a rsx-s).

Chances are, since I'm poor, I might just look for a stock rsx-s clutch, and keep the lightweight flywheel (cus its awesome). Most people say going from an aftermarket clutch to a stock one sucks dick... kind of like going from HID to halogen lights.

Anyway... My question, is this issue caused by my pressure plate or my clutch? Also, does anyone know the average market prices for these parts? If I bought aftermarket, I'd buy new. If cheap enough, I'd buy rsx-s stock used.

Ba82Ep3
09-07-2011, 01:43 PM
What material is your friction plate made of? Cerametallic, Kevlar? If its a Cerametallic friction plate, then there is likely a good amount of wear on the pressure plate and the flywheel. If its Kevlar, you might can get away with just replacing the friction plate and the release bearing. You wont know unless you get in there and check it out...

Now, i had a pressure plate fail on me before. I could get around in 1-3rd gears, but as soon as i loaded up the driveline (say 50mph in 4th or 5th) and pressed on the gas, the clutch would slip. In this case i just replaced the pressure plate and all was good, as everything else was in great shape.

A new RSX-S clutch isnt cheap, but its hard to beat OEM (i dunno your mods).

dj addicted
09-07-2011, 01:48 PM
also a simple question. How many miles are on the aftermarket clutch?

boricua4life
09-07-2011, 03:00 PM
i used to have a slipping clutch but it all got fixed when i replaced my pressure plate. its was slipping for the longest time i was on the highway doing like 40 mph in like 5-6rpm shit was crazy. got it rebuilt for 200 and never had a problem since then... knock on wood:mrolleyes:

Kis4KEN
09-07-2011, 03:26 PM
also a simple question. How many miles are on the aftermarket clutch?
50k-60k, I bought it from some guy on clubrsx... looked fairly new (or might have been new). Funny story, the guy who installed it (fept3r's previous employer) said that I only had about 1500mi left on that clutch. Good job being wrong by about 49,000mi...

I'll probably just start browsing ephatch's FS section and clubrsx for a used stock clutch.

Kis4KEN
09-07-2011, 03:28 PM
What material is your friction plate made of? Cerametallic, Kevlar? If its a Cerametallic friction plate, then there is likely a good amount of wear on the pressure plate and the flywheel. If its Kevlar, you might can get away with just replacing the friction plate and the release bearing. You wont know unless you get in there and check it out...

Now, i had a pressure plate fail on me before. I could get around in 1-3rd gears, but as soon as i loaded up the driveline (say 50mph in 4th or 5th) and pressed on the gas, the clutch would slip. In this case i just replaced the pressure plate and all was good, as everything else was in great shape.

A new RSX-S clutch isnt cheap, but its hard to beat OEM (i dunno your mods).

I don't remember what it's made of. I just remember seeing 6 small pucks and wondering how it was better than a stock clutch... then a friend explained it to me. =)

Also, when you say 'release bearing'... is that the same as a 'throw-out bearing'?

fEPst3r
09-07-2011, 05:28 PM
friends selling a exedy oem replacement for 160 brand new so i think you might need a stock ep flywheel

50k-60k, I bought it from some guy on clubrsx... looked fairly new (or might have been new). Funny story, the guy who installed it (fept3r's previous employer) said that I only had about 1500mi left on that clutch. Good job being wrong by about 49,000mi...

I'll probably just start browsing ephatch's FS section and clubrsx for a used stock clutch.

lol i saw this on yelp. i dont work there anymore but i guess he just made a guestimate and or he is tryin to upsale a new clutch. i have 120k on my stock clutch with no slipping just wont go in gear at high rpms which is most likely a fucked up pressure plate

junevtec
09-07-2011, 06:53 PM
i would just do a stock clutch unless your forced inducted also they are mad cheap like $150 shipped

talonXracer
09-08-2011, 05:02 AM
The clutch is shot, and if you drive the same way with a lighter clutch with your lightweight ACT fly, you will blow the new clutch even quicker.

OEM=Exedy/Daikin

dj addicted
09-08-2011, 05:17 AM
and 50-60K miles on an aftermarket clutch is a good amount of miles. I talked with the people at Exedy a while back and their stage II has a life span of 20K.

Also, I wouldn't bother replacing just the pressure plate or just the clutch disc. Since you are in there, you might as well replace the entire clutch.

Ba82Ep3
09-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Yeah i got almost 30k out of my CM stg4, 4puck... and it was toast when i pulled it out. The flywheel was done, and the release bearing (throwout bearing) was locked up.

Im definitely going to try and stick with OEM this time around...

T_Virus
09-08-2011, 12:20 PM
yeah, that clutch is about gone and it's telling you to get it replaced.

Kis4KEN
09-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Got it.

Anyone happen to know the going average market price for an aftermarket OEM replacement clutch for EP3/DC5?

usedep3
09-12-2011, 02:09 PM
oem replacement on amazon is like $110-120 shipped. i have the exedy dc5s spec oem replacement clutch kit. it includes a dc5s clutch, pp, throwout bearing, pilot bushing and grease.

Kis4KEN
10-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Forgot to take pics of my replacement clutch, but will take pics of my worn-the-f*ck-out clutch disc sometime tomorrow, and post em. =)