PDA

View Full Version : What aftermarket cat bolts to stock header/exhaust manifold?

kai-wun
09-08-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm tired of stinkin up the place with my rH (and paranoid of getting towed cos running catless), so I'm looking to go back to stock header/exhaust manifold.

I'm thinking of doing the following:

Stock header/exhaust manifold
High flow cat
Custom 2.25-2.5" midpipe (straight)
Stock muffler/axelback

Its been a while since I looked at my stock header, will any universal cat bolt up to it? Or do I need one that has a specific shape?

I've seen cats for <$200 on some parts website. I'm kinda concerned if they'll pass emissions, lol. Anyone have any experience with these?

Lastly, what's a reasonable $-figure to expect for a custom midpipe (no-res)? I'll need them to fab up a bung (lol...?) for the secondary 02 right?

Thanks!

ImportCustomx
09-08-2011, 09:17 AM
im gonna move this to the approriate section so you can get some better exposure

RedSiBaron
09-08-2011, 09:45 AM
My guess is that you wont find a bolt on cat...a better alternative would be to track down a ctr/itr header...not only does it flow tons better than the awful restrictive stock header, but it also has a cat...you can find them from 200 to like 400...clubrsx will be your best place to find one is my guess.

Who cares about a custom midpipe, just buy a 05/06 rsx type s midpipe which is 2.25" (do that if you go ctr/itr header)

Don't go bigger than 2.25" diameter if you plan on staying n/a or you will be losing exhaust velocity and therefore power.

apexracing
09-08-2011, 10:00 AM
The stock mid-pipe has no 02 bungs. They are both on the cat. Bosal makes a good oem replacement cat for our cars. they are around 150-200$

kai-wun
09-08-2011, 03:01 PM
My guess is that you wont find a bolt on cat...a better alternative would be to track down a ctr/itr header...not only does it flow tons better than the awful restrictive stock header, but it also has a cat...you can find them from 200 to like 400...clubrsx will be your best place to find one is my guess.

Who cares about a custom midpipe, just buy a 05/06 rsx type s midpipe which is 2.25" (do that if you go ctr/itr header)

Don't go bigger than 2.25" diameter if you plan on staying n/a or you will be losing exhaust velocity and therefore power.

Thanks!

I originally wanted to go that route, but its a bit difficult to find those locally, and I didnt wanna deal with shipping.

Thanks for the 2.25" "tip", smaller diameter piping should be cheaper, yea?

I'm thinking just to pick up an aftermarket cat and get the exhaust shop to fab up the pieces to bolt to the stock header and custom midpipe.

The reason I wanna go this route is to save $. I have the stock header and muffler, just missing the cat and midpipe.

Thoughts?

04SiSpeed
09-14-2011, 02:29 PM
I have a CTR header im trying to unload btw, i dont have the cat section for sale though, they are like $100 from any jdm importer and i have one u can call in TX actually. And hes right, to not keep from sounding lound and still getting a gain thats the way to go.

Use that header, get the megan 2.5" midpipe and keep your axle back, its basiclly 2.5" inlet and is good for up to 300hp dyno proven, im sure the thread is still around hear somewhere if u searched for it. U will have to have a 3 bolt flange welded onto the megan pipe though because its only a 2 bolt. The JDM cat is a 3 bolt connection to the midpipe.

All in all, u are talking like $500 bucks and your best flow that is needed for basiclly stock. 250 megan test pipe maybe less or even a type s mid pipe if some dude has local for cheap. Id say no more than 150, and 250ish for the CTR header my 2 cents

mitchlikesbikes
09-14-2011, 02:32 PM
random tech makes a really nice high flow cat for our cars but it's hella $$$. the itr/ctr header and midpipe combo sounds like a good idea to me