PDA

View Full Version : Speakers?

TheBerrynator
09-08-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm currently in the market for some speakers to replace the stock speakers in my car, as I'm probably about to reveal, I don't know a lot about car audio, or care in general, so bear with me....

I have an Alpine CDE-103bt head unit. What size speakers fit the best in the car? Or more specifically, what is the biggest size speakers could get in the front and rear openings without having to modify anything?

I'm thinking about getting some Alpine type R's. Is there anything I can get that wouldn't cost more, that sounds better and/or work better with what I have? I currently don't plan on putting in an amp when I install the speakers, but would like to later on, when i get more $$$.

Also, has anyone been able to hide a sub without removing the spare? Could I put one under the back seat?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

bearcat91
09-09-2011, 02:43 AM
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB651S/Polk-Audio-db651s.html I have 2 pair front and back 6.5" I think, and no amp, they are super clear and loud. Not a lotta low bass but that's why I have subs. You might be able to put a shallow mount sub under the front seat, or build a small box for the hatch. I have 2 10's and buit a box with the little skill I have, and I still have about 14 or 16 inches from box to the hatch. Enough room for lil things I guess lol

introvert
09-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Can't go wrong with a set of Type R 6.5" components. Another good buy would be the Polk db6501 set. You might need to glue the tweeter to make it stay, but the set rocked in my car.

The 651s in the link above is the shallow mount version. It will fit but I would leave it in the back for rear fill. A component set up front will sound much better.

Keep in mind that the shallow mount set has weird placed mounting holes that will most likely require drilling for all of the holes. The db6501 and db651 regular sized speakers are a slightly better fit.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
09-11-2011, 03:48 PM
i disagree with getting the db651s

they sound worse than the db651 and the db651 fits easily...no effort

bearcat91
09-11-2011, 09:00 PM
i disagree with getting the db651s

they sound worse than the db651 and the db651 fits easily...no effort
Oops didn't even notice...I didn't mean the shallow mounts lol

TheBerrynator
09-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Ok cool, this probably sounds stupid, but I think I will probably end up going with the Type R's, just because what I have right now is Alpine, Hopefully I'll be able to order some and get them installed them when I get the time.

One more question, the RMS power output for my stereo is 18W, and those speakers have an RMS range of 2-100W, how would the speakers sound WITHOUT an amp? Obviously they will sound better with one, and I assume I would be losing a good deal of Bass. I also assume that either way, they would sound 100x better than the stock speakers?

ukt55sto
09-28-2011, 03:38 AM
Ok cool, this probably sounds stupid, but I think I will probably end up going with the Type R's, just because what I have right now is Alpine, Hopefully I'll be able to order some and get them installed them when I get the time.

One more question, the RMS power output for my stereo is 18W, and those speakers have an RMS range of 2-100W, how would the speakers sound WITHOUT an amp? Obviously they will sound better with one, and I assume I would be losing a good deal of Bass. I also assume that either way, they would sound 100x better than the stock speakers?

Hi mate

The standard deck runs at about 10wrms, the alpine at about 18wmrs. i would definatly go down the route of a amplifier, will sound so much better especially with the speakers your talking about.
It will sound slitley better than the standard unit, but will still distort as the deck doesnt have enough current draw.

I would look at installing amp wiring with components in the doors with possible sound deadening, also 6.5" in the rear amped on 100wrms a channel @ 80-100hz crossover will sound like what you are expecting