PDA

View Full Version : Budget boost

Reaper27
09-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Ok, I'm Really wanting to boost my car in the very near future. But sadly with school and all, I am on a budget, so as much as I would like to drop $5-6k on a full race system it's just not going to happen.

So far, I've loomed at the greedy kit and it's still a little pricey. I was looking into the emusa kits and also the Godspeed kits ( since they are on the lower side on the price range).

I've also seen a few ads for Godspeed in modified mag but never heard of anyone using them. Anyone have experience with these?

I've checked out the emusa sticky on the forum and I'm very interersted in it as well. Experiences with that?

Right now I have a injen short ram intake, hondata IMG, skunk2 RH, DC sports exhaust for bolt ons and will be adding kpro before boosting obviously.

But my question is what would be my best buddy turbo kit?
And also it ability to modified and upgraded down the road?

I'm really looking to get into the 350whp range, also I'm running a k20a3 right now. Thanks guys

Popeye
09-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Reaper. Take a look at MY thread, just under yours. It'll answer your 350hp on an A3 quest.
If you live in Charlotte, we are having a meet Oct. 1st is Statesville. You should come. Check it out in the Meet section.

MugenReplica
09-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Read through this ENTIRE thread. This will answer all your "Budget" Turbo build questions.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?60693-EMUSA-info

P.S. - I formatted down your questions as I was having trouble following it all in a big paragraph. I hope that doesn't offend.

Reaper27
09-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Ok, thank you. And haha no i wasn't offended i was just like umm? When I checked it now, It was all bunched together because I was posting on my phone

Reaper27
09-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Reaper. Take a look at MY thread, just under yours. It'll answer your 350hp on an A3 quest.
If you live in Charlotte, we are having a meet Oct. 1st is Statesville. You should come. Check it out in the Meet section.

Yea man, I'll try to get up there and check it out. But I was reading your thread and the general conclusion that I came to was that it was damn near impossible to get 350whp out of a K20a3 engine? I'm not really wanting to do a swap right now mainly because I just don't have the real funds for it and also I don't have a spare vehicle for the time that the ep would be down. Any thoughts on this guys? Also, what about Godspeed? Anyone have and experience with them?

03 inspire
09-09-2011, 05:49 PM
realisticly you it would take you more fund to get to 350 with the k20a3 then it would with a cheap k24a1 or 4. I know nothing of the godspeed one but like AK said he's had sucess with it. Also honestly with a k20a3 at 7-10lbs with kpro you will be lucky to be at 250hp
But with that said if you want a kit I have one for sale :)

Popeye
09-09-2011, 06:31 PM
What kind of kit, and how much?

::edit:: I found it. Too much for my blood, sorry.

hyu
09-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Cheap + Boost = kaboom... Get a k24 or a k20 then build or boost. Should be under 5k if you're lucky

02TWSI
09-09-2011, 08:03 PM
People use the godspeed kits on D series motors with great success.

Reaper27
09-10-2011, 05:08 AM
People use the godspeed kits on D series motors with great success.

Ok, I've just heard mixed reviews about them. Like it playing a gamble, they might last a month or 5 years, it just depends. That kinda what I was afraid of with the emusa kits but they seem to stand up and get decent reviews

sleepy ep3
09-10-2011, 11:07 AM
You will only get 230-260 hp at the most, on an otherwise stock A3, and a cheap turbo kit. People, just let me say it...THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CHEAP, POWERFUL, RELIABLE BOOST!!!

There.

Sorry for yelling.

MugenReplica
09-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Best quality inexpensive used turbo kit I've seen on the market is the Cybernation kit in the Classifieds section.

Popeye
09-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I went through that whole EMUSA thread. It seems like the weak points are the wastegate and the turbo itself. The turbo is supposedly just a "decent" one, but can be rebuilt pretty cheap. Then of course you have to get stuff like KPro, injectors, fuel pump, and a few odds and ends. But, it allows someone to build up their kit vs. buying a crazy-expensive one right off the bat.

Reaper27
09-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I went through that whole EMUSA thread. It seems like the weak points are the wastegate and the turbo itself. The turbo is supposedly just a "decent" one, but can be rebuilt pretty cheap. Then of course you have to get stuff like KPro, injectors, fuel pump, and a few odds and ends. But, it allows someone to build up their kit vs. buying a crazy-expensive one right off the bat.

Thats what I was thinking about today and was going to ask. I was going through the thread and looking at all the componets and it looks to me like all you would have to do is either rebuild the emusa turbo or replace it with another higher end turbo and then swap out the wastegate and possibly the BOV cause from what I've read and seen on there the IC was pretty well built and holds up. Then it would comparable to one to the $4k kit and you would only pay maybe $1500 without adding Kpro. If this is wrong or I'm just reading this in the complete wrong way please let me know cause I'm thinking about getting the kit and installing it on the k20a3 and the later swapping it over to a k20a or k20a2 when I do a swap down the line (way down the line haha). I would be happy if I could hit a reliabe 250-275whp our of the a3 for now and hit the bigger numbers and do a swap when I'm out of school and all. It should bolt up right with little to no modification since the kit says it was made for the a3 and a2 engines.

Popeye
09-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Im feelin ya there. BUT, I think I am gonna go with my better judgement and listen to the guys on here. Even though I cant afford an engine swap, I AM going to throw in some forged rods and crank. Then I will find me a better-flowing head, and put on my kit. Not to mention this car is my DD right now. I know myself better than that. I know I could install the kit and have it be reliable right now. I'm not going to. Im a speed junky, and would start slooooowly cranking up the boost. Cant do that until I can get another vehicle. So, its just about saving money and buying the parts for now.

PAPITUYO326
09-10-2011, 06:42 PM
WPB Ep3s CN kit is probably amongst your best choices for reliable, relatively cheap boost. I have helped him work on that car since 2004 and seen it make great power on an a3. He was netting mid 13s and trapping 108 on only 9lbs. You can't do better for less.

heyvortek
09-10-2011, 08:06 PM
boost will always cause problems. i have never had my car running "perfect" for more than a month. mainly cuz my heavy foot and pride. if your a conservative driver then emusa is the best bang for the buck. gonna need a great tuner as well. remember that numbers arent everything and dynos are tuning tools.

sleepy ep3
09-10-2011, 09:25 PM
boost will always cause problems. i have never had my car running "perfect" for more than a month. mainly cuz my heavy foot and pride. if your a conservative driver then emusa is the best bang for the buck. gonna need a great tuner as well. remember that numbers arent everything and dynos are tuning tools.
Dynos are bragging rights, lol. To show how big your ep3 cock is. OP, if you are only looking for 230-270 whp, find a used rev hard kit, swap the compressor, and buy a downpipe. Easy, and fairly cheap.

Reaper27
09-11-2011, 04:47 AM

What sort of issues are you talking about?

Dynos are bragging rights, lol. To show how big your ep3 cock is. OP, if you are only looking for 230-270 whp, find a used rev hard kit, swap the compressor, and buy a downpipe. Easy, and fairly cheap.

Haha. OP, Thats all i'm looking for now on the a3 but I do want to upgrade and plan on an engine swap down the line. But I guess as long as it is an K20 series turbo there should be little mod needed to put it on an a1 or a2.

AKEP
09-11-2011, 09:07 AM
godspeed, although just as chinese as the emusa kit, for whatever reason, that company chose a cheaper version than what the emusa kit comes with. not all t3/t4 china chargers are the same. i've seen a handful of godspeed kits on dc2's come through my shop, the last one making 360/300 on e85 with a fully built bottom end and crower stg2's on top. they work fine, but i can't promise a godspeed kit will come with an ep specific ic and piping like the emusa, which is exactly why i went with it. we had some guys come in with the godspeed "dc2 specific turbo kit" and in reality it was a universal honda kit that needed the ic piping welded together to work. we charge $150/hr for fab work so yeah, paying 300+ for some welding vs nothing is pretty obvious.

all i gotta say about it is take ALL THE NUTS AND BOLTS OUT OF EVERYTHING AND REPLACE THEM. i will probably put this in any thread about emusa.

Reaper27
09-11-2011, 09:49 AM
all i gotta say about it is take ALL THE NUTS AND BOLTS OUT OF EVERYTHING AND REPLACE THEM. i will probably put this in any thread about emusa.

So what exactly do you mean? Would I have to basically take out all the componets, turbo, wastegate, BOV, IC, and the nuts and bolts for this to be a good kit?

Popeye
09-11-2011, 09:54 AM
I take it just as he said it....JUST the nuts and bolts. Going through the EMUSA thread told me that, and that the turbo itself may need to be rebuilt one day. BUT, most turbos do. Some people just prefer to do that, apparently, to build the turbo to Garrett specs. Not trying to be rude...Im just acknowledging the fact that its hard to believe someone makes a decent quality ANYTHING for cheap, you know? Regardless, even if you did replace all of the nuts and bolts, rebuilt the turbo, and bought your own wastegate, its still cheaper than most other kits. When I finally get this kit, Im just gonna get my own wastegate and bov.
Either way, Im sold on this kit.

AKEP
09-11-2011, 11:11 AM
So what exactly do you mean? Would I have to basically take out all the componets, turbo, wastegate, BOV, IC, and the nuts and bolts for this to be a good kit?

its hard to say what i want to say, without making it sound bad. but here it goes:
This setup is CHEAP. its also probably got 0% backing of R&D. and it comes with REALLY low quality nuts and bolts, and gaskets. and its all bought from a GIANT chinese company that manufactures all these turbokits, bov, wg, microwaves, fishing poles, garage door openers, you name it. i've seen their global website, and they even make commercial/diesel grade equipment.

So what I'M saying is, you MIGHT get the shit end of the stick and have a blown turbo in 50 miles, crazy ugly welding done in your i/c pipes that might have different wall thicknesses that could potentially crack, snapping bolts, leaking gaskets, warped/cracked log manifold, and blow couplings. the list could go on, because this is made not by a company that specializes in ep3 turbo kits, or ANY turbo kits. they just copy whats on US patents and make it.

what i'm also trying to say is, this kit straight out of the box for that emergency turbo build weekend if you gotta have it and there are terrorists holding a gun to your head while i'm answering this thread, is the best turbo kit brand spanking new that you could get for the price, because it comes like 90% complete, just needing a few pieces like that TB to IC pipe coupler and a dump tube (from the top of my head list of parts it needs to be a complete kit). like seriously if you got those 2-3 parts you could bolt this bad boy up and baby it till you can get it tuned.

it comes with all ic piping, couplers -1, turbo, manifold, downpipe, test pipe, wastegate, bov, different wg springs, prewelded bov flange, all gaskets (i didn't get a greddy gasket, but i also asked for them to put a greddy flange on since they normally put hks flanges on), nuts bolts, washers, spring washers, studs (also changed these out) and t-bolt clamps. the pipes are even FLARED so they don't pop off under boost. just need to cut the test pipe ends to fit your exhaust and have an exhaust shop weld up a flange or something to connect it to your midpipe.

what you can do for some peace-of-mind, is replace all hardware items (nuts, bolts, screws, washers, spring washers, studs and gaskets [that also means the bolts on the turbo, wastegate, if you can find them for the bov, and ones that fit inside the wastegate spring cup) maybe machine any faces of the manifold and turbo, dremel the burrs off the i/c piping, get the turbo rebuilt to garrett specs or sell it on craigslist/ebay and get a legit turbo, even a $450 rebuilt garrett t3/t4, get name brand bov and wastegate, although i do know a TON of people running ebay versions no problem, but like i said at least change the hardware on those, and get some good vacuum hose from napa. and maybe replace the couplings for some vibrant pieces.

i don't remember if i said it already, but if you're going to wait hella year to put it in, you could just buy name brand parts and piece it together while you wait. just buy them as you find the deals.

I take it just as he said it....JUST the nuts and bolts. Going through the EMUSA thread told me that, and that the turbo itself may need to be rebuilt one day. BUT, most turbos do. Some people just prefer to do that, apparently, to build the turbo to Garrett specs. Not trying to be rude...Im just acknowledging the fact that its hard to believe someone makes a decent quality ANYTHING for cheap, you know? Regardless, even if you did replace all of the nuts and bolts, rebuilt the turbo, and bought your own wastegate, its still cheaper than most other kits. When I finally get this kit, Im just gonna get my own wastegate and bov.
Either way, Im sold on this kit.

and its true, i believe in "you get what you pay for" - this kit is not the exception, but depending on what you're ok with, you can save some serious dough on it, or pay a little more and make it even better, while still being cheaper than say, a greddy or revhard log manifold setup, name brand everything, complete. you would need to get some serious deals on all used stuff to beat this kit, which are out there, but i really try not to buy non-rebuilt turbos from people unless i see them first. even then, i wouldn't buy it unless it was also unused after a rebuild, unless they were practically giving to me for free (and with some of these used kit prices, its real hard to say no to a whole bolt on affair cheaper than this kit =\) but like i said, it depends on what you're ok with. you might be ok with a used turbo and want to spend the money if you need to to rebuild it, maybe you're ok with mild steel i/c piping. maybe you're ok with cracking cast manifolds. list goes on. i'd rather not ever have to deal with these kind of things so i chose a proven (thus far) kit that does the job. i spent the extra cash on the little things to make it better, i've yet to have problems caused by the kit. money has been well spent.

honestly, the internetz is scaring people from alot of ebay products, and i don't blame them. but don't think that brand name market is holding down 99% of the game out there on the streets and track, almost all my honda customers are running ebay stuff and its holding, along with some nissan and toyota guys too. i do see name brand things come in and its pretty sweet looking, and honestly we should be seeing more of that stuff. but these people want the best bang for the buck, and if none brand named items are cheaper and hold their ground, they will go with it.

well thats my take on the whole thing. if you want a turbo project this kit is great. you'll learn a lot and all that good stuff. once you get your hands on it you'll be able to see what you want to do with it. i highly recommend reading turbo 101 if you've not been boosted before or done a turbo build before. for what this kit is, its a great deal. even for $700. thats chump change by the time you're done with a proper build.

kbai

Reaper27
09-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Wow, thanks man. That was a lot of good info that I needed. I am kinda leaning toward buying this kit and slowly rebuilding it till its better and going from there because sadly me having 5k to spend on a brand-name turbo kit is not going to happen any time in the next few years. Thats just the bottom line, no matter how much I would love to its just not fesible with my economic situation and pay grade haha. I've done a lot of research in this and I've seen a lot of people running ebay parts with success but I also have some reservation with its quaility. That why I'm thinking about swapping out all the odds and ends in this kit and giving it a try. Then upgrading down the line. I was wondering tho, are you still running the emusa kit on your ep3? and also what have you had to fix/repair on it or the car for that matter since you've ran it?

AKEP
09-11-2011, 12:52 PM
yes im running it. nothings broken.

blueandgoldep3
09-11-2011, 12:56 PM
i actually just saw the emusa turbo kit for 699.99 on ebay lol tempting but idk... i feel as though after all of this information your just asking for a headache and youre better off just doing what was listed... just piece together a kit over time itll be cheaper than paying 4g's for a greddy kit and itll be more reliable than buying a turbo that might blow up in 50 miles lol

AKEP
09-11-2011, 01:05 PM
yup. do what you feel is best for you. i have a hardware store a block from my house that has a sizing thing for bolts and every size bolt i needed, and all the dressing for it. so its not all that bad for me. i had to make my own oil resistant gaskets cause i didn't trust the ones it came with. you just need a roll of it from autozone and scissors.

i didnt do everything i listed, just nuts bolts and gaskets, but if i ever take it off its getting all that done to it.

Reaper27
09-11-2011, 01:08 PM
AKEP, how long have you been running the kit?

Blueandgoldep3, that what I'm prob going to be doing but I'm thinking about using the emusa kit as the base and build from there. Having the trubo rebuilt, new wastegate and BOV, odds and ends like nuts and bolts and trying it from there. Even after all that it will still be 1/3 or less than dropping 4-5k on a greddy or brand name kit.

blueandgoldep3
09-11-2011, 01:22 PM

Blueandgoldep3, that what I'm prob going to be doing but I'm thinking about using the emusa kit as the base and build from there. Having the trubo rebuilt, new wastegate and BOV, odds and ends like nuts and bolts and trying it from there. Even after all that it will still be 1/3 or less than dropping 4-5k on a greddy or brand name kit.

y even buy the kit if youre just going to replace all the major parts of it lol what else does the kit come with other than the turbo (which youre rebuilding) waste gate and bov (which youre replacing)? does it come with fuel management? injectors a pump? oil return lines and tap kit for the pan? and if you upgrade the turbo youre gonna wanna upgrade the ic too ... so what does this kit come with that youre actually going to use out of it? lol

Popeye
09-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I believe what AKEP is TRYING to say here is that even though the EMUSA kit is a "cheap" kit, someone can still have fairly reliable fun with it. If someone wants to buy parts individually and have a "bling bling" set-up, then great. But not everyone can afford the expensive stuff. Like he stated, he has seen plenty of people with Ebay kits/parts on their vehicle, and they served their purpose.
Not everyone has the money to spend a lot of it to build a killer turbo set-up. For me, as much as I LOVE this car, it would be hard to spend more money than its worth to make it go faster. Not saying I wouldnt, but it would be hard. lol
I feel like if someone wants to buy a cheap kit and learn from it, so be it. Maybe it will benefit them and work well. Even AKEP has the kit in his car, makes good numbers, and hasnt broken down yet. Honestly, what more do you want from a turbo kit?

Reaper27
09-11-2011, 06:34 PM
y even buy the kit if youre just going to replace all the major parts of it lol what else does the kit come with other than the turbo (which youre rebuilding) waste gate and bov (which youre replacing)? does it come with fuel management? injectors a pump? oil return lines and tap kit for the pan? and if you upgrade the turbo youre gonna wanna upgrade the ic too ... so what does this kit come with that youre actually going to use out of it? lol

Because even with buying the turbo and having it rebuilt it would still be cheaper than buy a name brand turbo, as for the wastegate and BOV I would just be replacing thme but at least with buying the kit I would have the major base parts such as piping.

I believe what AKEP is TRYING to say here is that even though the EMUSA kit is a "cheap" kit, someone can still have fairly reliable fun with it. If someone wants to buy parts individually and have a "bling bling" set-up, then great. But not everyone can afford the expensive stuff. Like he stated, he has seen plenty of people with Ebay kits/parts on their vehicle, and they served their purpose.
Not everyone has the money to spend a lot of it to build a killer turbo set-up. For me, as much as I LOVE this car, it would be hard to spend more money than its worth to make it go faster. Not saying I wouldnt, but it would be hard. lol
I feel like if someone wants to buy a cheap kit and learn from it, so be it. Maybe it will benefit them and work well. Even AKEP has the kit in his car, makes good numbers, and hasnt broken down yet. Honestly, what more do you want from a turbo kit?

Exactly, and this is why I'm so interested in this kit. I would love to be able to buy the kick ass turbo and do a full engine swap and rebuild but that would probably will be impossible for a long time to come so in the vast meantime I can pick one of these up to have fun with and it would meet my needs and be a failry reliable kit. Plus I will learn a lot in the process haha.

AKEP
09-11-2011, 07:40 PM

only since may/june. dd it. the other guys have had it way longer than me. still going strong.

the wg and bov is nothing, the ic piping and down pipe alone are well worth it because it comes matching the car. theres no bringing the ic pipe in for welding, the bov is in the right place so it doesn't rub against anything, downpipe avoids anything in the rear, no bending or welding or anything. it comes with an oil line and AN fittings (i also changed those lol) this kit just needs a little polishing. thats all.

pretty much.

if anything just get the IC piping and intercooler/ its a knock off of one of the intercooler companies. i think its a $300 piece too. you get prefabbed pipes and an intercooler for $120 shipped....

and i think i spent no more than $30 on new hardware(not including an fittings, which probably work fine. i had some laying around) which isnt a whole lot considering insurance.

they told me they do offer a fuel system but one of the guys i always talked to didn't recommend it. just buy yourself some deitchswerks injectors or whatever and get kpro. at least they leave that as an option instead of throwing in garbage injectors and raising the price.

WPB EP3
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Shameless plug: If you buy my CN kit for $1500 shipped you can have 260whp@7lbs or at least 280@10psi

Reaper27
09-11-2011, 08:00 PM
AKEP, did you replace the BOV and the wastegate or just the wastegate?

Reaper27
09-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Shameless plug: If you buy my CN kit for $1500 shipped you can have 260whp@7lbs or at least 280@10psi

Haha, the only thing is I don't have $1500 right now

WPB EP3
09-11-2011, 08:27 PM
I feel ya man, no worries.

AKEP
09-11-2011, 09:06 PM
good deal too.

AKEP, did you replace the BOV and the wastegate or just the wastegate?
just the BOV, i'm using the wastegate and all its glory. minus cap screws. i changed those too, and got aluminum crush washers for the vacuum banjos.

03 inspire
09-12-2011, 11:30 AM
bottom line is you pay for what you get... and the part of turbo's never running properly I never had that problem and I been turbo'ed since 03... as far as higher HP and Dyno numbers FI is addiciting after starting with a smaller kit (greddy) then to where I am at now maybe for some Show Queens its comparing cock sizes but for me its about we can do on the track rest is bullcrap

AKEP
09-12-2011, 11:49 AM
yup. i think i would place this firmly right about the greddy kit, right next to or below a revhard kit.

PAPITUYO326
09-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Greddy Kits may be somewhat underpowered compared to the larger turbo on these Emusa kits, but you are getting legit components. Rev Hard/CN gives you a higher ceiling than these kits. No way you can put these Ebay kits at the same level. As great a value as they may be, they are still replica parts. They are much closer than they used be, I'll give you that though.

It's all up to the buyer. Are you willing to sacrifice some quality to boost for a couple hundred cheaper? If so, then the Emusa kits are not a bad choice. For me, the choice is easy to go with something more mainstream, even if it means going used. I don't see the massive savings in going this route anyway. You can get a nice used kit for 1500-2000 all day.

AKEP
09-13-2011, 01:07 AM
i guess im a hipster then.

but thats what it comes down to. what the end user is willing to sacrafice. if they get what they want and it makes them happy, thats it.

blueandgoldep3
09-13-2011, 01:15 AM
how much is this emusa kit going for because ive seen it on ebay for like 700 free shipping

AKEP
09-13-2011, 02:22 AM
i think thats the latest price. demand has gone up, i imagine since the emusa thread has over 20k views now.

Popeye
09-13-2011, 03:30 AM
I believe they are $680 shipped on Speedy.
The way I see it is every good company had to start somewhere. (I am by no means defending EMUSA! I dont even have a turbo, from ANYONE.) Hell, when I was in the military, I had a '94 Accord. I found a REALLY good deal on a full exhaust, header back, from some no name company named "Megan" for less than $300. Best $300 I ever spent on the car. (Besides the suspension.)
Not everyone has the money to spend $1000 on a new motor to swap into their car, then $4000 on a new kit (with KPro), then $300 on a tune. And Im sure there are still several things that will need to go with it. I think a $700 kit allows the average guy with barely any money to be able to boost his car to have some fun. Sure, maybe some parts will have to be replaced over time. But thats over time. That way he has been boosted until then and has had fun with his car. I think a lot of people miss the first point when it comes to doing ANYTHING to their cars...we all do it to have fun. We love our cars, and take pride in them. After that, "the details are in the pudding."
Again, this isnt to talk bad about anyone, or any part in/on anyone's car...for ME, if I have a $700 kit in my car, and can make the same or close to the same power, for what the next guy that paid $4000, it's a win in my book.

blueandgoldep3
09-13-2011, 06:13 AM
The way I see it is every good company had to start somewhere. (I am by no means defending EMUSA! I dont even have a turbo, from ANYONE.) Hell, when I was in the military, I had a '94 Accord. I found a REALLY good deal on a full exhaust, header back, from some no name company named "Megan" for less than $300. Best $300 I ever spent on the car. (Besides the suspension.)
Not everyone has the money to spend $1000 on a new motor to swap into their car, then $4000 on a new kit (with KPro), then $300 on a tune. And Im sure there are still several things that will need to go with it. I think a $700 kit allows the average guy with barely any money to be able to boost his car to have some fun. Sure, maybe some parts will have to be replaced over time. But thats over time. That way he has been boosted until then and has had fun with his car. I think a lot of people miss the first point when it comes to doing ANYTHING to their cars...we all do it to have fun. We love our cars, and take pride in them. After that, "the details are in the pudding."
Again, this isnt to talk bad about anyone, or any part in/on anyone's car...for ME, if I have a $700 kit in my car, and can make the same or close to the same power, for what the next guy that paid $4000, it's a win in my book.
well said

Reaper27
09-13-2011, 07:11 AM

This has been my main point in this thread, yea i'll prob have to replace some nuts and bolts and maybe the BOV or have the turbo rebuilt later but at least I'll have fun with it, get some descent numbers and not had to spend 4k on my car.

japarossa
09-13-2011, 08:31 AM
I have been running the emusa kit now for almost 3 years and couldn't be happier with the kit. I have daily driven the car aswell as beating it pretty hard on track days. I changed the BOV out but ended up changing it back to the emusa one. I changed some of the bolts and the oil feed line I added a 90* fitting other than that its pretty much the way it comes out of the box. I have had it on a k24a2 as well as the a3 and it performed good on both motors. In my opinion its the best kit out there if you dont want to spend $2000+ on a brand name kit. When I bought mine it was $479.99 and I see now its up to $679.99 so the kit must be gaining in popularity and I doubt that would happen if it was a junk kit as there are 25+ other sellers on ebay selling similar kits and I don't see any threads about them in my travels.
I figured ebay boost was better than no boost!!

PAPITUYO326
09-13-2011, 09:29 AM
You wont get anywhere near 4k power with a 700 kit. You might replicate Greddy, Rev Hard, or CN kits and reach 270whp. Those are closer to 3k new. Down towards 1.5-2k if you go used.

Where are you guys getting these inflated prices? For 4k you can almost buy a new Full-Race Sidewinder kit FFS.

I guess part of my beef might be with the fact that these companies blatantly use replicated turbos that STEAL technology from US/Japanese companies. As a turbomachinery engineer, I could not see myself supporting technology theft in my own industry.

AKEP
09-13-2011, 09:46 AM
nah if they were really stealing the technology, they would have some real legit ball bearing turbos that last just as long if not longer. the design is stolen, not the technology. the china chargers get the job done, but i see where you're coming from.

what they are stealing is the market base. and right now thats what the entire scene is falling to, unfortunately.

dont worry man. this coming season i will be dropping the money on a brand new real 30r. and probably paying a garret tech to rebuild my ebay one. :msmile:

and with that, it would be worth the same price as a real garret t3/t4 freshly rebuilt. about $450

Popeye
09-13-2011, 10:09 AM
You know, Ive read through a lot of these threads, and people say that the A3's are rubbish. What kind of numbers are they putting out SAFELY and RELIABLY? I know one wouldnt get 400hp oit of one reliably, but couldnt they still do 225-250hp safely?

AKEP
09-13-2011, 10:17 AM
300 max - bone stock a3 block.

PAPITUYO326
09-13-2011, 01:28 PM
You can run 300 hp fine. It's all about how much you push it. A car making 300 hp, but boosting full throttle only a couple of times a day is going to last much longer than someone pushing 270 doing street runs every other night.

nah if they were really stealing the technology, they would have some real legit ball bearing turbos that last just as long if not longer. the design is stolen, not the technology. the china chargers get the job done, but i see where you're coming from.

The technology is stolen. What they can't steal (or rather choose not to steal) is some of the quality requirements inherent in the legitimate cousins. This keeps costs low and people jumping to their ship.

03 inspire
09-13-2011, 01:34 PM
You wont get anywhere near 4k power with a 700 kit. You might replicate Greddy, Rev Hard, or CN kits and reach 270whp. Those are closer to 3k new. Down towards 1.5-2k if you go used.

Where are you guys getting these inflated prices? For 4k you can almost buy a new Full-Race Sidewinder kit FFS.

I guess part of my beef might be with the fact that these companies blatantly use replicated turbos that STEAL technology from US/Japanese companies. As a turbomachinery engineer, I could not see myself supporting technology theft in my own industry.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Truth!!!...

and also my whole thing is why waste money on a kit that will only last for X amount of time with turbo all the following can happen on a cheap kit:
Boost leak
Boost spike
Cracked manifolds
A leaky turbo worst then a 56 Chevy..

blueandgoldep3
09-13-2011, 02:09 PM
ill be honest this thread is really starting to sell me on this kit lol a reliable 250-275whp on daily driver off a turbo kit for $700 that needs some polishing aint too bad, thats 7 bucks for each horse youre gaining and that is damn good imo... and while im boosted theres nothing stopping me from buying upgrades parts down the line but ill have the boost ive been waiting for in the mean time... you won me over

Popeye
09-13-2011, 02:47 PM
You said "block." What does that do to the head, etc? I know it will cause the tranny to wear the clutches a little quicker.

Reaper27
09-13-2011, 03:04 PM
300 max - bone stock a3 block.

That's great numbers for a $700 kit. I'll be happy with 275 tuned. I was wondering tho, if i put in stage 2 or stage 3 cams, would that push the engine or the turbo too much and cause issues?

blueandgoldep3
09-13-2011, 03:09 PM
You said "block." What does that do to the head, etc? I know it will cause the tranny to wear the clutches a little quicker.
ive heard the trannys hold really well actually , ijust put in a new exedy clutch and f1 light flywheel in so im set with that lol

japarossa
09-13-2011, 03:30 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Truth!!!...

and also my whole thing is why waste money on a kit that will only last for X amount of time with turbo all the following can happen on a cheap kit:
Boost leak
Boost spike
Cracked manifolds
A leaky turbo worst then a 56 Chevy..

All turbo kits only last for "x" amount of time, How can you argue with 3 trouble free years on this kit? My buddy with the greddy on his RSX has had alot of small problems and he has only had that kit for 1 1/2 years. As for stealing technology, thats about the dumbest thing that has been said in this thread. I guess greddy, turbonetics, comp., etc are all thieves as well because turbo technology has been around alot longer than any of those companies and when they all started out and were sitting around the table doing R&D I bet there was a competitors turbo on the table torn apart.

AKEP: They should be giving us a kick back on these kits, since we started talking about them they have gained popularity and must be selling alot more of them.

PAPITUYO326
09-13-2011, 03:57 PM
All turbo kits only last for "x" amount of time, How can you argue with 3 trouble free years on this kit? My buddy with the greddy on his RSX has had alot of small problems and he has only had that kit for 1 1/2 years. As for stealing technology, thats about the dumbest thing that has been said in this thread. I guess greddy, turbonetics, comp., etc are all thieves as well because turbo technology has been around alot longer than any of those companies and when they all started out and were sitting around the table doing R&D I bet there was a competitors turbo on the table torn apart.

I wont address your friend's issues with his greddy kit because frankly I don't know how well/poorly the initial install was or whether he bought it used/abused etc. I've seen greddy kits catch peoples cars on fire because they don't plum lines correctly. I've also seen kits last for 8 years. The life of a quality turbo kit is defined by quality of the installation and quality of the part. When both aspects are maximized, you get something very reliable.

Your Turbo example is grasping at straws. There is a difference between making a similar product and outright copying something. Look at Chevy, Ford, and Honda. All make automobiles with similar engines, yet the innovation between one company and the other is still seen. The others may dissect and inspect each competitor vehicles, but their is still innovation whenever the "new" product is announced. Same thing applies with nearly any other technological product with multiple suppliers.

Most of these Ebay turbos are literally Garret Clones. Why do you think you can rebuild them with Garret parts? There is nothing wrong with modifying existing technologies, but these companies are taking known fruitful designs and modifying none of the turbomachinery. They are blatant copies. The only reason they don't get sued off the planet is because there is no U.S. patent security in China.

Popeye
09-13-2011, 04:31 PM
I think there is validity in everyone's arguments, some more so than others. No matter what technology we discuss, there will most likely be some sort of plaigerism. I wouldnt say someone is "grasping at straws" when you are doing the same thing. Either that or using a bad analogy.
You can't talk about different automobile manufacturers copying anyone. It's all about technology. Or more so, BACKWARDS technology. In 1680, a Dutch Physicist, Christian Huygens designd the very first combustable engine that was to use gunpowder. I'm not going to breakdown the whole timeline, but think about it...every single person that has used some sort of combustable engine to power ANYTHING has copied him. What each and every company does, be it an automobile manufacturer or not, is take a design from something and put their own spin on it. It's how we come up with new and exciting stuff! Henry Ford did it. So did plenty of other people. If we didn't have people doing that on a regular basis, technology would move a loooooooot slower. But, there is one example of someone that did KINDA step outside the box. It was/is a combustable engine, but was COMPLETELY redesigned. I'm talking about Felix Wankel's Mazda masterpiece. Well, it wasn't designed FOR Mazda, but you get the picture.
So seriously, let's not argue about this stuff but enjoy it.

PAPITUYO326
09-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Right, they emulate the jumps in technology in their own unique product. They don't outright copy them. The key is the secondary company puts their own spin on things while improving the end product. In cars the technology may be similar, but the components and mechanisms that make up the technology are inherently different.

Well, unless we are talking about these companies lol.
http://theage.drive.com.au/photogallery/chinese-copycat-cars-20100422-teui.html

My point is the ebay turbos, blowoff valves, and wastegates are just outright copies. That may or may not be a problem to some people, as their quality has improved since they came on the market a few years ago.

Reaper27
09-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Wow, haha this thread has gone in a completely different direction than I intended.

japarossa
09-13-2011, 07:56 PM
The EMUSA turbo is no more a "garrett" clone than it is a Turbonetics or Comp clone, a turbo is a turbo and you can only do so much to design a new one. Sure there are oil-less ones in the works from a few companies but overall no matter what turbo you get they are all just pretty much copies of the first ones made. Companies like Blaast performance rebuild turbos to garrett "specs", not necessarily using garrett parts. Alot of turbo companies use garrett parts to rebuild because garrett makes a wide range of rebuild parts, you could use garrett parts to rebuild almost any automotive turbo and vice versa.

PAPITUYO326
09-13-2011, 08:30 PM
As a turbomachinery engineer, I wholeheartedly disagree. There is A TON of design work done on turbos from non-replica companies. The amount of work Honeywell (owner of Garrett) puts into their turbine design alone would make you shit bricks. Reputable turbo companies DO NOT use direct replicas of the bladed components. The shafts, compressors, and turbines units are all VERY unique.

Most companies make their support parts (bearings & seals) interchangeable with Garret units to keep costs down. That is creating an economic design, not copying.

Here is an interesting video detailing the amount of exhaustive design work entailed in a clean sheet turbo design. This design by BorgWarner is a true game changer and exemplifies the greatness that can be achieved when quality and innovative design meld together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfuE6xiij9g

Anyway, I've made my point.

blueandgoldep3
09-13-2011, 09:42 PM
idk about anyone at this point but after all these points and arguments are made .... $700 > $3500... when the results are the same

PAPITUYO326
09-13-2011, 10:13 PM
idk about anyone at this point but after all these points and arguments are made .... $700 > $3500... when the results are the same

Don't forget injectors and engine management. You won't be boosting out the box for 700.

blueandgoldep3
09-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Don't forget injectors and engine management. You won't be boosting out the box for 700.

lol thats was an unspoken understanding for sure... and i just want to say that understand you and agree with your argument to an extent for sure... but you're looking at it from a producers point of view and we are looking at it from a consumers point of view... if i can get something for a fraction of the price of a name brand company and expect the same results from it then we would be fools to buy the name brand company... for what to say hey i looky what i got!!!... i do agree you pay for what you get but the plus is that for a lower price turbo it it leaves me the ability to upgrade at my will instead of saving for months to buy it the first place.. you see what we getting at... perhaps if a greddy kit was $1500 and not $3500 i could understand buying the name and guarenteed quality but its cost effective to buy the cheaper version and fix it as it breaks lol

PAPITUYO326
09-14-2011, 09:40 AM
I feel ya, but you can get a name brand kit for 1500 all day.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=789529
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=788703

brand new HKS kit
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=788973

brand new greddy kit
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=782232

It just takes a bit of patience and timing to score the right kit at the right price. Either way works though, as illustrated by some of the other posters.

andyman97
09-14-2011, 10:14 AM
lol thats was an unspoken understanding for sure... and i just want to say that understand you and agree with your argument to an extent for sure... but you're looking at it from a producers point of view and we are looking at it from a consumers point of view... if i can get something for a fraction of the price of a name brand company and expect the same results from it then we would be fools to buy the name brand company... for what to say hey i looky what i got!!!... i do agree you pay for what you get but the plus is that for a lower price turbo it it leaves me the ability to upgrade at my will instead of saving for months to buy it the first place.. you see what we getting at... perhaps if a greddy kit was $1500 and not $3500 i could understand buying the name and guarenteed quality but its cost effective to buy the cheaper version and fix it as it breaks lol

I've been on both sides of that fence. Always better to spend more in the beginning and do it right. Otherwise you spend two to three times as much upgrading when it's all said and done. That said, buying a used kit isn't always a good idea. You just never know what problems you'll inherit. Some ppl are honest and take care of their stuff but it's a gamble.

PAPITUYO326
09-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Yep, it can be hit or miss for sure with either route. I always try to search out people's old threads and posts whenever I am interested in buying anything that is wear-sensitive.

Ba82Ep3
09-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Well i was lookin at the EMUSA kit myself... only because i didnt want to *invest* in turbo. If i didnt like it, i wasnt out a lot when i went back to SC.

Keep in mind this kit would be in a k-swapped EJ (not EP), but that shouldnt affect too much other than maybe the DP. Lookin at the HKS kit up above had me liking that setup... till i saw the pricetag. The snail is more up my alley (im really only lookin for 300whp) and i want minimal lag. It doesnt look like it has an intercooler in the kit... but i could always add one... or will that turbo NOT do well with an IC? The log mani doesnt bother me at all... but is this one also suspect to cracking?

I guess im asking someone to "sell me" on a kit like this. Tell me something other than "quality and longevity"? Tell me why dropping $4k is going to make me happy for reasons other than having all HKS parts under the hood...

andyman97
09-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Boost by gear. You can control what rpm the boost hits, helps tremendously with putting power to the ground. Higher power is easy to make.

Popeye
09-15-2011, 02:00 PM
With the right tuning, thats possible with ANY kit.

PAPITUYO326
09-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Well i was lookin at the EMUSA kit myself... only because i didnt want to *invest* in turbo. If i didnt like it, i wasnt out a lot when i went back to SC.

Keep in mind this kit would be in a k-swapped EJ (not EP), but that shouldnt affect too much other than maybe the DP. Lookin at the HKS kit up above had me liking that setup... till i saw the pricetag. The snail is more up my alley (im really only lookin for 300whp) and i want minimal lag. It doesnt look like it has an intercooler in the kit... but i could always add one... or will that turbo NOT do well with an IC? The log mani doesnt bother me at all... but is this one also suspect to cracking?

I guess im asking someone to "sell me" on a kit like this. Tell me something other than "quality and longevity"? Tell me why dropping $4k is going to make me happy for reasons other than having all HKS parts under the hood...

The guy is selling it for 1900 shipped, not 4k. The turbocharger on that kit is pretty sweet, perfect for ~300 hp.

HKS's LIST price is 4k. Retailers usually sell it for much less, although out of all the kits out right now it is easily the most overpriced IMO.
http://showstoppersusa.com/hks-gt2835-turbo-kit-02-up-rsx-type-s/

Ba82Ep3
09-15-2011, 03:21 PM
The guy is selling it for 1900 shipped, not 4k. The turbocharger on that kit is pretty sweet, perfect for ~300 hp.

HKS's LIST price is 4k. Retailers usually sell it for much less, although out of all the kits out right now it is easily the most overpriced IMO.
http://showstoppersusa.com/hks-gt2835-turbo-kit-02-up-rsx-type-s/

Thats my fault i didnt specify that list was $4k. The one on the HKS site LOOKS like it comes with an IC. The one the guy was selling on CRSX doesnt have an IC and is selling for $1900.

It looks like the BO is $300 by itself, the snail is almost $1800 (i think im looking at the right one), the mani is $350. I see the mani limits me if i wanna upgrade snails later... but i kinda like the wastegate on the gt28. Any pros and cons there?

As far as boost by gear... that was one of the big selling points of SC... it builds boost with RPM. I have to spend more $ to have that feature with turbo (solenoid/tuning/etc).

MugenReplica
09-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Let's keep it civil guys.....so the thread can stay open.

MugenReplica
09-15-2011, 04:11 PM
That said, I agree with Dave. The Chinese/Ebay kits DO STEAL and ARE in fact STOLEN technology. That is a FACT! That's why their manifolds look identical to the Rev Hard manifolds, their BOV's look like HKS, TRUST/GREDDY, or Forge BOV's, and their wastegates look like and interchange springs/valves with Tial ones.

But, for $700 and being on a stringent budget, I'd definitely look at the EMUSA kit.

andyman97
09-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Boost by gear allows you to completely customize boost level by rpm in every gear. You can't make boost faster than the engine spools the turbo but you can limit the boost level all through the rpm range of, say, first and second gear, then run full boost from third through fifth. Think of it as an aid for traction.

PAPITUYO326
09-15-2011, 07:12 PM
We've been having a civil discussion for the most part. In the end we all know that there are many ways to skin to proverbial turbo cat.

Thats my fault i didnt specify that list was $4k. The one on the HKS site LOOKS like it comes with an IC. The one the guy was selling on CRSX doesnt have an IC and is selling for $1900.

It looks like the BO is $300 by itself, the snail is almost $1800 (i think im looking at the right one), the mani is $350. I see the mani limits me if i wanna upgrade snails later... but i kinda like the wastegate on the gt28. Any pros and cons there?

As far as boost by gear... that was one of the big selling points of SC... it builds boost with RPM. I have to spend more $ to have that feature with turbo (solenoid/tuning/etc).

Right, the list on that particular kit is probably the most overpriced out of all K-series kits. You are correct in asserting that the kit that guy is selling has not intercooler. Their intercooler kit is 1200 or so. I would personally go with a nice used Rev Hard or CN kit, as you can keep costs down while still supporting your power goals.

The GT28 is one of the nicer mid range turbos out there. I personally love the idea of running one on a car making 300. The spool will be so quick. It is not a true twin scroll, but boost will nonetheless max out very early. It's tough to find them at truly low prices. You can get much better deals on larger turbos.

You could always piece things together yourself. That is a sureshot way of saving $ while still getting quality parts.

Did you check out this post? The guy is selling a full greddy kit for 800.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=788703

Ba82Ep3
09-15-2011, 07:37 PM
I thought the thread was civil too? I was seriously asking to be convinced why to spend more $ on a turbo kit over the EMUSA kit. I saw it as a way to help explain WHY one might be better than the other (instead of debating quality, etc)... and helping answer my own questions in the process.

Dave thanx for the info. I was asking for serious answers, and hope my questions werent misread as sarcasm. :thumbu:

Yeah it seems the RevHard and CN kit are more complete. I think you are right too, at least in my case, i might be better off putting together my kit instead of buying one.

Isnt the Greddy mani known for cracking?

MugenReplica
09-15-2011, 09:07 PM
The thread is civil. You guys don't have to be told, you've both been around forever and have always kept your cool.

It was more directed towards members of the site who aren't familiar with the rules and may turn the discussion from it's current civil demeanor.

The Greddy/Trust manifolds and turbos are known for frequent defects.

AKEP
09-16-2011, 01:09 AM
thats possible with any kit.
ftfy

at that point all you're really doing is adjusting fuel and a little ignition for boost by gear, once you finish with spring pressure everything should already fall into place after that.

PAPITUYO326
09-16-2011, 07:51 AM
I thought the thread was civil too? I was seriously asking to be convinced why to spend more $ on a turbo kit over the EMUSA kit. I saw it as a way to help explain WHY one might be better than the other (instead of debating quality, etc)... and helping answer my own questions in the process.

Dave thanx for the info. I was asking for serious answers, and hope my questions werent misread as sarcasm. :thumbu:

Yeah it seems the RevHard and CN kit are more complete. I think you are right too, at least in my case, i might be better off putting together my kit instead of buying one.

Isn't the Greddy mani known for cracking?

Here is a nice thread detailing some pros of a similar GT28 unit vs. a standard Turbonetics t3/t4 unit. The unit in the Greddy kit is admittedly not quite as nice.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/16-forced-induction/156788-t3-t4-v-s-gt28rs-2.html

I've never seen a Greddy mani crack in person, but I know it can happen. I've seen inlinepro and CN surface cracks at weld pools after years of use, though neither caused the part to fail as the crack did not have enough energy to propagate.

03 inspire
09-16-2011, 10:35 AM
I been a lucky one to have a greddy manifold crack :( then i just hell with it and went Full race then now a peak boost

PAPITUYO326
09-16-2011, 11:22 AM
I like the Full-Race greddy kit upgrade option. Too bad they no longer openly sell it. I think you can still call Full-Race and have them make the adapter for you.

Ba82Ep3
09-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Peakboost is out of business?

AKEP
09-16-2011, 01:50 PM
i thought so but i see websites selling their stuff.

PAPITUYO326
09-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Ken must have hit hard times, because I believe he started going Ponzi for a while. His manifolds acquired a bad rap for being tough to tune and creating creep issues on larger Turbos for K-series as well. Poor airflow to the wastegate. I think he MAY have fixed it, but the name has still taken a big hit.

edit: Looks like he just bailed and left people hanging..

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40396

blueandgoldep3
09-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Ken must have hit hard times, because I believe he started going Ponzi for a while. His manifolds acquired a bad rap for being tough to tune and creating creep issues on larger Turbos for K-series as well. Poor airflow to the wastegate. I think he MAY have fixed it, but the name has still taken a big hit.

edit: Looks like he just bailed and left people hanging..

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40396

lmao! wow

AKEP
09-16-2011, 02:36 PM
yeah i remember seeing that. thanks for searching for me LOL. one dude here was pretty upset, he just threw away $1200 into nothing..

mitchlikesbikes
09-16-2011, 02:39 PM
lmao! wow

you wouldn't be laughing your ass off if some guy ran off with 3k of your hard earned cash. that shit is so messed up.

blueandgoldep3
09-16-2011, 02:43 PM
thats ridiculous dude... personally i would put myself onto that case they are creating against him and go out him with my personal lawyer as well.... but back on the topic of this thread ... ive made the decision to go with the emusa turbo kit and see how it goes... worst case scenario imo is the turbo goes and i get it rebuilt to garret specs ... still cheaper lol my only questions is because ill be new to the turbo game is are all the turbo manifolds interchangeable onto this kit? like if i decided at some point to upgrade to a sidewinder or just something with better flow in general would it be interchangeable with the log manifold that comes with the kit and whats mods to the piping would need to be done if so?

blueandgoldep3
09-16-2011, 02:44 PM
you wouldn't be laughing your ass off if some guy ran off with 3k of your hard earned cash. that shit is so messed up.
im laughing because it sucks not because its funny...havent you ever heard the expression ya gotta laugh about it or youll end up crying about it

mitchlikesbikes
09-16-2011, 02:47 PM
thats ridiculous dude... personally i would put myself onto that case they are creating against him and go out him with my personal lawyer as well.... but back on the topic of this thread ... ive made the decision to go with the emusa turbo kit and see how it goes... worst case scenario imo is the turbo goes and i get it rebuilt to garret specs ... still cheaper lol my only questions is because ill be new to the turbo game is are all the turbo manifolds interchangeable onto this kit? like if i decided at some point to upgrade to a sidewinder or just something with better flow in general would it be interchangeable with the log manifold that comes with the kit and whats mods to the piping would need to be done if so?

switching from log mani to sidewinder basically requires a whole new kit. new downpipe, dumptube, intercooler piping, etc. plus you have to relocate your stock heater hoses and some other shit. if anything you could upgrade to a rear mount tubular manifold similar to what monjarassi is running. you wouldn't have to do so much tweaking of other shit to fit one of those. and also if you're gonna run a sidewinder it's kinda pointless unless you're gonna run a decent size turbo and swap or whatever. a basic t3 log mani will get you to 300hp and beyond usually, you just have to have the engine/turbo/downpipe/etc to make the power. the manifold should really be one of the last upgrades and only done when you plan on going past 350ish

blueandgoldep3
09-16-2011, 02:50 PM
switching from log mani to sidewinder basically requires a whole new kit. new downpipe, dumptube, intercooler piping, etc. plus you have to relocate your stock heater hoses and some other shit. if anything you could upgrade to a rear mount tubular manifold similar to what monjarassi is running. you wouldn't have to do so much tweaking of other shit to fit one of those. and also if you're gonna run a sidewinder it's kinda pointless unless you're gonna run a decent size turbo and swap or whatever. a basic t3 log mani will get you to 300hp and beyond usually, you just have to have the engine/turbo/downpipe/etc to make the power. the manifold should really be one of the last upgrades and only done when you plan on going past 350ish
that was actually really helpful info thanks man
+
a crown royal bag as a shift boot... classic!!! lol

mitchlikesbikes
09-16-2011, 02:51 PM
that was actually really helpful info thanks man
+
a crown royal bag as a shift boot... classic!!! lol

no problem. i'm sure some of the legit turbo guys can add onto that as well, just going off of what i've seen really haha

Reaper27
09-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Damn, I had heard about that with peakboost but forgotten about it. That would suck. But anyways, I also had a question back on the topic. When I get my turbo kit I will have to take off my skunk2 race header, :-( it's a bad ass header, and either put my stock cat back on or install a high flow cat, or put in a test pipe. I've never used a test pipe before but does it have the O2 sensor ports on it or how does that work. I need to keep my CEL off so I can pass inspection but wasn't sure how this works.

mitchlikesbikes
09-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Damn, I had heard about that with peakboost but forgotten about it. That would suck. But anyways, I also had a question back on the topic. When I get my turbo kit I will have to take off my skunk2 race header, :-( it's a bad ass header, and either put my stock cat back on or install a high flow cat, or put in a test pipe. I've never used a test pipe before but does it have the O2 sensor ports on it or how does that work. I need to keep my CEL off so I can pass inspection but wasn't sure how this works.

it has 02 ports, but you'll need a defouler to keep your cel from coming on.

Reaper27
09-16-2011, 06:22 PM
it has 02 ports, but you'll need a defouler to keep your cel from coming on.

Yea, I have a defouler but I wasn't sure if it had the ports on it

andyman97
09-16-2011, 07:48 PM

This is why I was saying before to just get nice parts from the start so you don't end up spending money on two setups in the end. Believe me, I know how bad it sucks to wait but it's worth it. Do some research and keep an eye out for good deals. They are out there, just have to keep a close eye on the for sale forums.

AKEP
09-21-2011, 06:09 AM
just go with ctd's mani. build THAT kit.

Reaper27
09-21-2011, 08:42 AM
just go with ctd's mani. build THAT kit.

What do you mean?

ImportCustomx
09-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Pick 2 out of 3.

Quality
Low Cost
Speed

you cant have all 3 ... Low cost and speed doesnt get you quality...speed and quality doesnt get you low cost

but you can eventually have all 3..if you have the money.